What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2022, 01:12:21 PMI hadn't realized the DOJ was formed by Grant in direct response to the KKK.  Gives some ominous context to Teh Deep State.

But...they had a Federal Court System. They had no executive equivalent to actually enforce their decisions?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

In the initial eras of the Republic, Federal criminal prosecutions were not incredibly common relative to modern times. They didn't have a Department of Justice, but they did have the U.S. Marshals--now a days a Presidentially appointed U.S. Marshal (one per District Court district) is a big time job, someone who oversees a large office of Deputy Marshals and other staff. In the original iteration, each District often just had one Marshal, who actually did all the grunt work of Federal law enforcement. One of the earliest (maybe the earliest) documented American law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty was actually a U.S. Marshal serving a warrant, he was shot and killed through the door of the home where the target of the warrant was staying--this was in 1794. Federal Marshals remained the primary enforcement arm of Federal law enforcement for the majority of the 20th century--but significant enforcement efforts were also undertaken by private law enforcement and various forms of ad hoc posse, which would take men into custody and haul them before Federal circuit judges (who literally "rode a circuit" in that time.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2022, 02:31:29 PMBut...they had a Federal Court System. They had no executive equivalent to actually enforce their decisions?

They hired private attorneys on an as needed basis.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2022, 12:46:34 PMWhat's the significance of calling her "Coco Chow"?

He's demonstrating that he's not an ordinary racist, he's a moronic racist.

There's an actual Chinese artist (painter and sculptor) named Coco Chow, but I doubt that that's his reference.  I think that he just stupidly believes that it is a devastating insult, for whatever reason morons come to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

In Spain "Chow-chow" (as in the Chinese dog breed) was used as a slur for Asian women, mostly in the 1980s-1990s. Was that a thing in the US, too?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 04, 2022, 02:27:56 AMIn Spain "Chow-chow" (as in the Chinese dog breed) was used as a slur for Asian women, mostly in the 1980s-1990s though. Was that a thing in the US, too?

Never heard that.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 04, 2022, 02:27:56 AMIn Spain "Chow-chow" (as in the Chinese dog breed) was used as a slur for Asian women, mostly in the 1980s-1990s. Was that a thing in the US, too?

Could be. Trump is an old boomer so he has access to slurs that ceased to be used by the yoots decades ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Bannon has been given 4 months in prison for contempt of Congress, for not complying with their subpoena.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on October 21, 2022, 11:10:43 AMBannon has been given 4 months in prison for contempt of Congress, for not complying with their subpoena.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Donald has told the RNC to cease and desist using his likeness in fundraising materials.

Razgovory

What we have to look forward to

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-imagines-journalists-raped-prison-1234626493/

QuoteDONALD TRUMP ENDED his pre-midterm rally blitz in disgusting fashion, calling House Speaker Nancy Pelosi "an animal," championing the death penalty, and giddily imagining the prison rape of the journalist who reported on the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

"The leaking from the Supreme Court is unbelievable," the former president said Monday night at a rally in Ohio. "But you get the information very easily. You tell the reporter who is it ... and if the reporter doesn't want to tell you it's 'bye bye.' The reporter goes to jail. When the reporter learns he's going to be married to a certain prisoner who's extremely strong, tough, and mean, he will say, 'you know, I think I'm going to give you the information.'"

The rally on Monday wasn't the first time Trump imagined journalists being raped in prison. He laid out the same fantasy at a rally in Texas last month, saying the reporter would give up the identity of the leaker as soon as they realize they are "going to be the bride of another prisoner very shortly." The audience burst out in laughter, just as they did Monday night in Ohio.

It isn't just a laugh line.

This year, as Trump has privately strategized about what a second term, potentially starting in 2025, could look like, he's begun occasionally soliciting ideas from conservative allies for how the U.S. government and Justice Department could go about turning his desires — for brutally imprisoning significant numbers of reporters — into reality.

Several months ago, the former president briefly asked a small gathering of his allies and at least one of his attorneys about what would have to be done to make that authoritarian, First Amendment-shredding vision a norm, according to a source who was present.

"He said other countries do it — the implication being: Well, why not here?" the source recounts.

The other countries here are un-free authoritarian states, the kind for which Trump has long showed admiration. North Korea does not tolerate free expression. China and Russia are well known for jailing journalists. Viktor Orban, the Trump-endorsed autocratic ruler of Hungary, has been targeting reporters, as well. Trump has repeatedly made clear he wants to reshape America into a similarly brutal, fascist state. He praised China on Monday for executing drug dealers and sending the bullet to their families, drawing cheers from the crowd. He touted his "great relationship" with the man responsible, President Xi, at a rally last week. "He's president for life," Trump said. "I call him king."

Trump closed the rally on Monday by noting that he will be making a "very big announcement," which is widely expected to be a declaration of his 2024 presidential candidacy, at Mar-a-Lago next Tuesday.

Trump hasn't just recently started wondering about how he might be able to jail journalists should he reclaim the White House in 2024. He was wondering about it almost immediately upon arriving there for the first time, as well. The New York Times reported in 2017 that less than a month after Trump took office, he griped to then-FBI Director James Comey about leaks to the media, and told Comey he should consider imprisoning journalists who publish classified information. It's unclear how Comey responded. Trump would fire him less than three months later.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

So, as expected, Trump has started the GOP on GOP political violence campaign against DeSantis by ranting about how ungrateful DeSantis is after all the help he gave him, and seems to imply that he actually rigged the Florida 2018 gubernatorial election (which was extremely close) for DeSantis during the vote counting process.

Other messages from the rant:

Admiral Yi

My guess is Donald wrote these Truths himself.

Razgovory

I always feel a little better when he throws a tantrum.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

QuoteRep. Matt Gaetz, one of the very few GOP lawmakers who had planned to go down to Mar-a-Lago tonight for Trump's announcement, says the weather is not looking good for his flight down from D.C. to Florida. But he will be there "in spirit."
https://twitter.com/FarnoushAmiri/status/1592575055388872705?t=DUTCVwqC7ZmJiVrxmrc3Zg&s=19

:hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.