What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2022, 10:48:15 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2022, 10:41:01 AMThe Special Master appointed to the case has ordered Trump's team to prove their assumption that the FBI planted documents in Mar-a-Lago.  Ouch, that hurts.  :cool:

Not prove.  But the Special Master just wants them to actual say if they're claiming it or not.  Which is actually kind of colder.

"Which way would you like to make the bed you're going to lie in later?"

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 23, 2022, 11:50:34 AMDearie is dealing with same situation.  His first task is to nail down the universe of what he is supposed to review and what it is.  So a key preliminary question is whether the FBI inventory is accurate.  On the first day, he asked the Trump lawyers about it, and they basically said "Maybe."  That doesn't work.  They either have to accept the inventory or dispute it, and if they are disputing, they must give reasons why in some sort of evidentiary form.

Minsky, this reply isn't really directed at you but the general peanut gallery.

I'm just a low-rent prosecutor, but this issue comes up all the fucking time.  Mostly on guilty pleas, which after all is how the majority f files wind up as.

First the prosecution (the Crown) read in the allegations.  Nothing has been proven at this point.  The judge then turns to the Accused to say "is that what happened?".  If they yes then Bam! it's been proven.  Sometimes they say no, and then the entire process screeches to a halt.  And sometimes they say "yes, but..."  Then it comes back to me.  Can I live with the "yes, but"?  If it's a minor point I probably say yes.  If it's fairly major I say no, but risk the entire plea falling apart.

Then it turns to sentence submissions.  Most of the time both Crown and defence just make submissions from the floor.  It's usually just kind of a gentleman's agreement that we just accept what the other side is saying in terms of facts.  But at any point either side can say "I don't accept that fact".  This then would necessitate a halt in the proceeding, and the calling of evidence.

In order to try and keep things moving smoothly, what I typically do is ask the defence lawyer privately "Is this something you yourself have confirmed?  Or is this just something your client has told you?".  You know when it's something like "my client is going to treatment" or "my client has a job lined up".  Because the system would fall apart if we had to call evidence on every last submission to the judge - but a lot of people out there are degenerate liars too.

So yes - establishing the underlying facts of a case are the bedrock to any kind of judicial finding.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2022, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2022, 01:37:19 PMYes.  Because I'm a peanut.

You're at least a cashew Raz. :hug:

Cashews don't have their own galleries, which is why he is passing as a peanut.  :thumbsup:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

So any thoughts on Trump declassifying documents just by thinking about it?

Habbaku

Yes, mostly just incredulity that Trump is capable of thinking.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on September 23, 2022, 05:36:42 PMYes, mostly just incredulity that Trump is capable of thinking.

yes that's the problem

It turns out he declassified the KFC seasoning mix instead of the documents at Mar-a-lago.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2022, 10:48:15 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2022, 10:41:01 AMThe Special Master appointed to the case has ordered Trump's team to prove their assumption that the FBI planted documents in Mar-a-Lago.  Ouch, that hurts.  :cool:

Not prove.  But the Special Master just wants them to actual say if they're claiming it or not.  Which is actually kind of colder.
Ah, gotcha. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

The NYAG case was assigned to Justice Arthur Engoron, famous for ordering contempt sanctions against Trump in an earlier New York legal dispute. Not surprisingly, Trump's attorneys are seeking to evade him, by applying to have the case assigned to the Commercial Division, a special branch of the NY state courts for commercial cases over $500K in value. 

The reassignment would get Trump out of Engoron's courtroom, but the downside is that Commercial Division may (not always) push cases faster than the general civil parts do. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Trump posted on Truth a screed against Mitch McConnell, and ended with a reference to McConnell's wife, Elaine Chao (who of course was Trump's Transportation Secretary) calling her "Coco Chow".

Multiple media reports have labelled this nickname as racist (Chao was born in Taiwan).  This being Trump I have no problem believeing that it's racist, but I feel like there must be some reference or backstory I'm missing.

What's the significance of calling her "Coco Chow"?

Admiral Yi

I hadn't realized the DOJ was formed by Grant in direct response to the KKK.  Gives some ominous context to Teh Deep State.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2022, 12:46:34 PMWhat's the significance of calling her "Coco Chow"?

I don't know.  :hmm:

But I have been very insulated from racist slurs so just because I don't get it doesn't mean there is nothing there.

The only association I have with 'Coco' is that Seinfeld episode where that becomes George's nickname.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."