News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It is strange how open worlds were such a rare niche until oblivion or there abouts.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

I've been playing Children of Morta, decent ARPG.  The gameplay is nothing special, although it's smooth and reasonably intuitive.  The storyline and some of the cutscene art keeps me going though.  CoM is not nearly as good as Hades in that regard but it's in the same direction.

I'll probably only do one playthrough, but since I got it on sale I think I'm happy with it.

Josquius

I've played Surviving the Aftermath a bit.
Its....meh. Its alright. Though get the feeling it builds on Surviving Mars in completely the wrong places. The main quest is a dull game of just sitting and waiting largely.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2022, 01:35:21 PMThere was a remake in the mid-2000s that was pretty good as well.  Kept all of the same basic mechanics, updated the graphics completely.  They added a dancing mini-game, but that was about the only real change.

It's on sale currently for xbox.

I may have bought it.  :Embarrass:
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 23, 2022, 02:48:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2022, 01:35:21 PMThere was a remake in the mid-2000s that was pretty good as well.  Kept all of the same basic mechanics, updated the graphics completely.  They added a dancing mini-game, but that was about the only real change.

I got kicked out of my home office so all the kids could have their own rooms.  I went through and culled probably 90-95% of my physical copies of computer games, some going back to the mid-90s.  I'm not much of a gamer anymore, and I had trouble imagining I'd ever go back to most of them.

Sid Meier's Pirates! I kept.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

The boss fights in Children of Morta really go downhill the further you go into the game.  It's mostly invulnerability phases with traps and/or enemy spam, followed by brief periods to damage the boss.  The latest one I've played has like 2-3 minutes of enemy spam and traps with a 30 second window to damage the boss.  Seriously annoying, unimaginative and not even that difficult once you figure out the patterns.  The earlier fights are actually more difficult, this one is just long.  It doesn't help that the area you have to go through to get to the fight is quite long.  Most areas in CoM can be completed in less than 30 minutes even if you explore everywhere, this one took 50.

I'm also salty because I came very close to beating it in my first attempt, but now I have to go back through and do it all again.

Syt

Sounds very POE late game bosses. I absolutely hate invulnerability phases for bosses. I think it can be done well, e.g. them doing an attack during which they can't be damaged, or if the fight is relatively short. But POE's "standing still inside a shield while you dodge stuff" for long stretches during fights (unless you have a dmg meta build) is really off putting.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2022, 02:54:54 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 23, 2022, 02:48:24 PM

I got kicked out of my home office so all the kids could have their own rooms.  I went through and culled probably 90-95% of my physical copies of computer games, some going back to the mid-90s.  I'm not much of a gamer anymore, and I had trouble imagining I'd ever go back to most of them.

Sid Meier's Pirates! I kept.

Yeah I am more of a gamer in my heart than in practice anymore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2022, 10:43:47 AMYeah I am more of a gamer in my heart than in practice anymore.

I feel like the day will come, maybe sooner than I expect, where I will have lots of time for gaming again.

But as it is right now by the time I get the kids into bed and all the days chores are done it's 9:30-10pm.  I'll sit down at my computer thinking I'll play a game, but all I have time and energy for is to look at social media and maybe watch some stupid youtube videos before going to bed.

Valmy

I used to fantasize about being able to play a ton in retirement, but I think I told the story about the retired retirement home guy who was in my guild in WoW who could only physically play a few hours a day and struggled with cataracts. So I don't know. Maybe that is my best motivation to stay in shape and in good health :P Got to stay in shape to sit and play games for hours a day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2022, 11:19:22 AMI used to fantasize about being able to play a ton in retirement, but I think I told the story about the retired retirement home guy who was in my guild in WoW who could only physically play a few hours a day and struggled with cataracts. So I don't know. Maybe that is my best motivation to stay in shape and in good health :P Got to stay in shape to sit and play games for hours a day.

You did mention that guy before.

Yeah, no cataracts for me, but I did "upgrade" to progressive lenses this summer, and already any game that depends on twitch reflexes is pretty much out for me.  Thankfully there are still lots of casual and/or strategy games to play...

Valmy

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2022, 11:19:22 AMI used to fantasize about being able to play a ton in retirement, but I think I told the story about the retired retirement home guy who was in my guild in WoW who could only physically play a few hours a day and struggled with cataracts. So I don't know. Maybe that is my best motivation to stay in shape and in good health :P Got to stay in shape to sit and play games for hours a day.

Getting physically in-shape is great, but this should also be motivation to retire on your own clock instead of shooting for Social Security age.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Started playing Red Dead Redemption II.  Never played the first one.  Looks nice.  I'm supposedly at 25% of the game, according to the save system.  Not what I expected, much less shooting, much more horsing around.  Can't wait to unlock fast travel.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on September 26, 2022, 12:33:24 PM

Getting physically in-shape is great, but this should also be motivation to retire on your own clock instead of shooting for Social Security age.

Sure but even if I was retired, I have three kids and a dementia having Mom. It will be awhile before I go back to being care free even if I was independently wealthy.