News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

What worries me is that the EU will accept the ridiculous "compromise" offered by Orban of creating a new "independent" anti-corruption authority/court in the country.

Even knowing this much should make it clear that its an insulting bluff because nothing Orban has ever created was made to be independent of him, let alone being given credentials to prosecute him and his people.

But the ministers charged with the formation of this court are some of his core lieutenants including Antal Rogan who is the most blatantly corrupt of the whole lot, a very cynical and dangerous man who has been this year put into charge of all clandestine services in addition to his older role of being the chief propagandist.

If the EU pays out the grants based on this Goebbels-Beria infusion of a gangster creating for them an anti-corruption unit, well... They reveal their true qualities and dedication to maintaining democracy. It must not happen.

Tamas

Fidesz had its annual unofficial party conference event where Everyone Who Counts converge to discuss stuff.

Oddly, although pro-government press was allowed in, there has been complete radio silence on what Orban said in his keynote speech at the event, the press apparently was not allowed to report on it.

Radio Free Europe now claims they have learned about its contents from multiple sources. Key points:

Orban is working on raising the next generation of Fidesz, ones who will be capable to govern (lol as if), as they will be taking the party and country over from 2030 to 2060.

He indicated he is looking to apply internationally the same sort of grassroots-organisation method which saved his ass after the political defeats of 2002 and 2006 and which -to be fair- was a grand idea that built his support at local levels and were the basis for his stranglehold on the country. He imagines this happening via conservative circles, influencers etc.

He also said he will be working on preventing the extension of anti-Russian sanctions this autumn. He hinted at the Italian elections by saying he expects he'll have additional support for this by then.

He, allegedly, expects the disollusion of the eurozone by 2030, maybe the EU itself as well, and by 2040 French and other western major cities shall have a Muslim majority ( :wacko: ).

He expects the Visegrad 4s will be net contributors to the EU budget by 2030, so the country's EU membership will need to be evaluated by then (this one bit I believe he actually meant - it is perfectly conceivable he is unable to see past the profit he is making and the curbs on his power).

Finally, he considers a demographic turnaround in the country crucial so he'll be announcing more "pro-family" policies the next few weeks.

Tamas

Oh, and he really has a fixation on 2030 because he also said the war in Ukraine may last up until 2030 and Ukraine is likely to lose up to third of its territory.

HVC

QuoteThe European Union's executive branch recommended Sunday that the bloc suspend around 7.5 billion euros ($7.5 billion) in funding to Hungary over concerns about democratic backsliding and the possible mismanagement of EU money.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/eu-recommends-suspending-billions-in-funding-to-hungary/ar-AA11X9EH
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Incredibly, the government keeps digging deeper into blaming all economic troubles on the EU and its sanctions on Russia (rather than, you know, on Russia).

Latest is that they are going to have their usual "national consultations" (a sort of consultation referendum with extremely loaded propaganda questions, like the last time about whether you want transgender propaganda in kindergarten) on the EU sanctions.

It will be just glorious to have a whole national referendum proclaim that no, Hungarians don't want sanctions on Russia. I mean, judging by previous "consultations" the question is likely to be:
"Some people think we should have no heating in schools and hospitals, and accept high inflation to support Ukraine's war in the Donbas. Others feel like we should have peace and a prosperous economy instead. Do you:
a) want no heating during winter and runaway inflation
b) want peace and prosperity"

But still.

Josquius

Nice to see some balls from Europe.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

So do Hungarians now consider the invasion of Hungary by Russia in 1849 to be a good thing? Maybe the only failure was the failure of Nicholas I to annex Hungary into the glorious Russian Empire.

I can see the referendum now:
Some people think we should have death and economic hardship to support war. Others feel like we should have  peace and prosperity under our glorious Russian Overlords.
Do you:
a) want death and economic hardship in a war
b) want peace and prosperity
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

The Hungarian foreign minister Szijjarto reports to talks with Lavrov in New York.

Nice picture. The face and body language (Szijjarto is second from the right with his back to camera, the small room, and the Putin picture on the wall.

Tamas

The new season of the Hungarian Parliament is on, which is of course more meaningless than ever before, but it still is a strong start, the opposition parties -in my opinion- assisting to the democratic pantomime by debating the situation around the war and inflation there.

My favourite bit probably was Orban declaring "a dwarf is sanctioning a giant" (in regards to the EU sanctions against Russia).

He also claimed energy prices and inflation in general would halve "immediately" following the cancelling of the sanctions.

Effectively, the New Enemy (after migrants and later homosexuals) is now The Sanctions. There is always a way lower and making the country look more and more repugnant. It's maddening.

PJL

Unfortunately with the new Italian government, the EU is unlikely to do anything about it.

Legbiter

Hungary and Italy don't matter that much though wrt Ukraine. :hmm: They can blame the war for their domestic woes but unless they want to be hit with secondary sanctions they'll just grumble.  The countries most opposed to Russia largely dictate the policy that will be implemented. So the US, the UK, Poland, the Nordics etc. Poland is of course the logistical end hub right next door to Ukraine. They will all continue to back Ukraine while it kills off the Russian mobilization wave and liberates it's territory this winter.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

There may be a "who collapses first" race developing between the UK and Hungary.

Experts in Hungary are very puzzled by a leaked directive to all ministries that there must be a temporary stop to all payments sans wages in the public sector.

This is quite unprecedented, and has not happened in Hungary since the 1970s.

What puzzles these experts is that judging by official numbers the country is supposed to have enough reserves to get by without such actions, not to mention that bonds could also be issued.

As one of them put it "something is obviously broken, but we cannot see what".

Tonitrus

I would think Beet bonds would be a pretty risky investment.

celedhring

Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2022, 11:38:18 AMSo, an Hungarian I know from a non-Paradox videogame forum has just posted that he can't stand it anymore and he's upping sticks and leaving the country (he's married with two kids). Fairly affable fellow, never seen him talk politics in the 2-3 years I've known him.

Feels like in the end Orban will perpetuate himself by forcing liberal Hungarians to emigrate.

An update. He found a job in Sweden and he's moving today with all his family. That was quick.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2022, 01:50:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2022, 11:38:18 AMSo, an Hungarian I know from a non-Paradox videogame forum has just posted that he can't stand it anymore and he's upping sticks and leaving the country (he's married with two kids). Fairly affable fellow, never seen him talk politics in the 2-3 years I've known him.

Feels like in the end Orban will perpetuate himself by forcing liberal Hungarians to emigrate.

An update. He found a job in Sweden and he's moving today with all his family. That was quick.

:thumbsup:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.