News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Yeah I saw that.

If that's the issue (and I'm not sure it is) I slightly wonder if the lesson is something like GoT works on TV bu would make a not great film and vice versa?
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Finished It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Really enjoyed the show, and while later seasons can be a bit uneven, I think that they manage to overall manage to maintain a pretty high quality IMHO. First two episodes of S15 were a bit too on the nose/current events, but I thought the Ireland ones were excellent, despite bad CGI, and I normally dislike "on location" episodes in sitcoms (though I thought Married With Children's England episodes were also pretty decent).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Woman King, good movie - great battle scenes.  No sugar coating the slave trade.

Josquius

Thor love and thunder.
I'm really not sure what to make of it.
Ragnarok ruled. This... It's just so amazingly stupid. And it's hard to tell where it's intentionally so and where it's just bad. It delves into almost spoof territory at times.
And I get that it's style is the whole 80a hair metal album cover thing, but not getting why guns and roses feature so heavily. That's a different thing.
And the goats and so much else make no sense.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on September 18, 2022, 02:20:45 AMThor love and thunder.
I'm really not sure what to make of it.
Ragnarok ruled. This... It's just so amazingly stupid. And it's hard to tell where it's intentionally so and where it's just bad. It delves into almost spoof territory at times.
And I get that it's style is the whole 80a hair metal album cover thing, but not getting why guns and roses feature so heavily. That's a different thing.
And the goats and so much else make no sense.
Wasn't great.  Wasn't terrible but it was a let down.
PDH!

HVC

Latest house of dragons episode changed some stuff around to make it more dramatic in comparison to the book, but wasn't too far off and still a good viewing.  The Green Party made its inauguration  into the story line. Really liking this show.

*edit* although the time jump and new replacement actors next episode might be jarring.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

Finale of Cobra Kai.  It was good.  A cool ending to a cool series.  I don't really care about the proposed prequels and such.  With few exceptions prequels are boring to me, when they aren't just annoying.

PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 19, 2022, 03:04:30 PMFinale of Cobra Kai.  It was good.  A cool ending to a cool series.  I don't really care about the proposed prequels and such.  With few exceptions prequels are boring to me, when they aren't just annoying.

The proposed prequel has nothing to do with the series, IIRC.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

A GoT wedding with only one death is considered a dull affair, no?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2022, 12:00:13 AMWoman King, good movie - great battle scenes.  No sugar coating the slave trade.

The movie us now getting significant backlash against the white washing (black washing?) Of the very active role of the Dahomey in the slave trade.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Yeah Dahomey was a slave economy with a military whose biggest job was to capture people to sell to Euros which was the main source of the kingdom's wealth.

That seems like a pretty dark thing to explore so I can see why they would prefer to focus on the more romantic aspects. But if they did leave that out how is that "no sugar coating the slave trade"?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Dr. Sleep. What ever happened to the kid from The Shining? OK, but of course no way near The Shining. The bad gal is played by a Swede, which is nice. Also, idea for movie: Dr. Poop. Man with special gifts finds calling as orderly at constipation clinic.

Robert the Bruce. The Bruce is down on his luck and needs help, history lesson. I wouldn't say it's a horrible movie, but with a title like that you kind of expect at least a partial biopic, which this is not. A better title would have been "The Croft", or "Loyalty", or something. Bonus: you get to hear a 14th century Scottish hero talk about peeling potatoes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2022, 10:13:33 PMYeah Dahomey was a slave economy with a military whose biggest job was to capture people to sell to Euros which was the main source of the kingdom's wealth.

That seems like a pretty dark thing to explore so I can see why they would prefer to focus on the more romantic aspects. But if they did leave that out how is that "no sugar coating the slave trade"?
An African kingdom is depicted as a willing participant in the slave trade and fighting white people who tell them it's really bad to enslave other human beings and they shouldn't be doing it.

You do not understand why this creates some modicum amount of controversy online? ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

frunk

Cyberpunk Edgerunners is surprisingly enjoyable.  The animation is cheapo old school, but it's stylish, well executed, and 3 episodes in the story has me hooked.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 20, 2022, 07:57:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2022, 10:13:33 PMYeah Dahomey was a slave economy with a military whose biggest job was to capture people to sell to Euros which was the main source of the kingdom's wealth.

An African kingdom is depicted as a willing participant in the slave trade and fighting white people who tell them it's really bad to enslave other human beings and they shouldn't be doing it.

You do not understand why this creates some modicum amount of controversy online? ;)

I am sure it does. But it is what happened after all  :P

But of course the anti-slavery actions of the British Empire was utilized in its Imperial expansion in Africa so if you need to have bad white people you can still have that while saying the facts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."