[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I just learned tonight that some people get offended by the term "gay bar."  Not inclusive enough.  I said I could see that.

I asked what the acceptable replacement was and the dude I was talking to said some people like "rainbow bar."  He also said some people don't car.

Valmy

I thought the term 'gay bar' was named that because it is made specifically for gay men. Now anybody can come in but that is who they are catering to, right? I mean not everything has to be inclusively made for everybody. Is that offensive? To create a business directed towards a specific group of people? I mean so long as everybody is welcome.

If the bar is, in fact, meant to be a LGBTQ+ establishment then yeah "gay bar" wouldn't be a good descriptor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I have heard rumblings of this sort of thing around bars that heavily target lesbians - gay bar sounds too focused on the guys.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on July 29, 2022, 02:20:18 PMI have heard rumblings of this sort of thing around bars that heavily target lesbians - gay bar sounds too focused on the guys.

Wouldn't that just be a lesbian bar then? A bar is not some kind of charitable public institution that has an obligation to public service. If it can be profitable by catering specifically to gay guys then it isn't doing it too much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2022, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 29, 2022, 02:20:18 PMI have heard rumblings of this sort of thing around bars that heavily target lesbians - gay bar sounds too focused on the guys.

Wouldn't that just be a lesbian bar then? A bar is not some kind of charitable public institution that has an obligation to public service. If it can be profitable by catering specifically to gay guys then it isn't doing it too much.

I don't think anyone is suggesting there's a legal problem.
However it's perfectly valid to have a moan about eg how you used to like a restaurant but then it changed how it cooks its potato.
Its then just good business practice to pay attention to the feed back coming in, spot patterns, and consider changes to tackle these problems.

In this case since the bar is specifically trying to sell itself as inclusive then if most lesbians are saying gay is exclusive (I don't think they are. Its just something I've heard from some) then it might be worth rethinking what you call yourself to get more of their business.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Seems Singapore is moving into the 20th century.

BBC News - 377A: Singapore to end ban on gay sex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62545577
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

OK, so I thought we had a "trans" thread, but I can't find it so this one will do.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/09/ontario-teacher-prosthetic-bust-school-board-defends/

A trans woman teacher at a Toronto-area high school has been showing up to work in short shorts, enormous prosthetic breasts, and sheer tops that clearly show the prosthetic nipples.  It's generated a lot of online attention (because big boobies=clicks), but it raises interesting questions.

I mean first of all her clothing should be the number one issue.  Any student who wore those clothes would be sent home.  But no the school board has simply said they won't discriminate against anyone because of their gender identity and expression.

But what about the prosthetic?  As I understand it plenty of trans women use prosthetics in order to more fully appear as female, and that seems completely appropriate.  And obviously no school board would discriminate against a natal woman because they had extremely large beasts.  But this huge prosthetic is a choice this teacher is making, and one that seems completely inappropriate for a high school.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Josquius

Sounds like the school board is being silly.
Would a cis woman get away with dressing like this? - if no then trans women don't either.

I wonder what the rules would be for a cis woman getting massive implants?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Walking around with your nipples exposed in school is frowned upon for any gender I would think. I never saw any of my male teachers shirtless in class.

Admiral Yi

One of my favorite parts of the 70s was visible nipples.  I curse the invention of the padded bra.

Josephus

Have to laugh, ironically, at the first sentence from a capsule review of a movie called Sergeant, in the February 1969 issue of Playboy. Apparently "faggotry" is an OK word? Such a quaint, secretary-butt slapping time.

Tongues will wag about The Sergeant, because of the explicit homosexuality in a climactic kissing scene between Rod Steiger and John Phillip Law. The scene, in fact, is an emotional shocker that conveys tragic implications well beyond the range of movies made to exploit the public's fascination with faggotry, a subject not nearly so far underground as it used to be
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2022, 03:56:57 PMHave to laugh, ironically, at the first sentence from a capsule review of a movie called Sergeant, in the February 1969 issue of Playboy. Apparently "faggotry" is an OK word? Such a quaint, secretary-butt slapping time.

Tongues will wag about The Sergeant, because of the explicit homosexuality in a climactic kissing scene between Rod Steiger and John Phillip Law. The scene, in fact, is an emotional shocker that conveys tragic implications well beyond the range of movies made to exploit the public's fascination with faggotry, a subject not nearly so far underground as it used to be

I'm sure some Queer Studies student somewhere has studied the editorial content of 1960s Playboy magazine.  On the one hand it was rather transgressive in topics of sexual morality, so perhaps more likely to see homosexuality in a less negative light.  But on the other hand it was still... neutral terminology escapes me... the basic idea is that the female body is there for the pleasure of the male gaze, is fundamentally pretty "heteronormative".

Actually, googling suggests early Playboy was in fact reasonably LGB positive.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/9/28/16379500/hugh-hefner-lgbtq-rights