What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

It is not a nothingburger.  It is an incoherent rant that reads as if a pro se plaintiff off his meds hijacked a federal courthouse and starting issuing opinions.

We are going to find out very soon how far up the federal judiciary the MAGA rot extends.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

My impression is the Biden has appointed tons of judges himself. Hopefully we keep the Senate so he can keep doing that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2022, 08:55:11 PMWe are going to find out very soon how far up the federal judiciary the MAGA rot extends.

Like we don't already know.  Bless your heart.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2022, 08:55:11 PMIt is not a nothingburger.  It is an incoherent rant that reads as if a pro se plaintiff off his meds hijacked a federal courthouse and starting issuing opinions.

We are going to find out very soon how far up the federal judiciary the MAGA rot extends.

Like the US Supreme Court?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2022, 08:41:23 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 15, 2022, 08:38:28 PMWhat happened now?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/judge-rules-trump-blocks-review-seized-classified-records-2022-09-15/

Judge says DOJ can't begin reviewing classified docs.

Seems kind of like a nothingburger to me.

In related news NY Attorney General declined a plea proposal concerning the Trump Organization financial fraud case.

Here is a former case worker (who handles intel sources) arguing that the delay is very dangerous to US intelligence operations and thus national security: https://twitter.com/Mpolymer/status/1570698374667702274?t=IFDGL3nCQ99MXnwMRsbjUQ&s=19

As I inderstand it, the types of intel Trump stole is the kind that could get informants and agents killed if it falls onto the wrong hands.

The longer the damage is unassisted and uncontained, the more severe it becomes.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 17, 2022, 08:58:00 PMhttps://www.reuters.com/world/us/judge-rules-trump-blocks-review-seized-classified-records-2022-09-15/

Here is a former case worker (who handles intel sources) arguing that the delay is very dangerous to US intelligence operations and thus national security: https://twitter.com/Mpolymer/status/1570698374667702274?t=IFDGL3nCQ99MXnwMRsbjUQ&s=19

As I inderstand it, the types of intel Trump stole is the kind that could get informants and agents killed if it falls onto the wrong hands.

The longer the damage is unassisted and uncontained, the more severe it becomes.

Are you sure the ruling covers the DNI review of the docs as well?  The story I linked did specify DOJ.  I agree if DNI is covered it's more than a nothingburger.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2022, 08:59:07 PMMy impression is the Biden has appointed tons of judges himself. Hopefully we keep the Senate so he can keep doing that.
He's appointed more than any one in two years since Kennedy IIRC, but Trump still appointed a lot and Obama didn't appoint as many as he should have due to obstruction.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Talk about drinking the koolaid
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1572085253593858048

Quote from: Josh Marshall (@joshtpm)Amazing. Trumpers now miffed at special master dearie and were expecting him to be an "FBI skeptic" because of Carter Page. Lol. Serious high on your own supply vibe here. https://t.co/rb01IYnaDc
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Trump, the occasional Mar-A-Lago DJ for selected evenings.

QuoteAt a certain point in an average evening at Mar-a-Lago, the lights go down and the volume goes up, as the proprietor and former president of the United States turns DJ for the night.

A member of the Mar-a-Lago private club said that following a period of withdrawal after his election defeat, Donald Trump has in recent months assumed the role of social ringmaster, deciding to bring a disco vibe to the Palm Beach resort after dark.

"At about 9.30pm every night, he's sitting at his table, whether on the patio or inside, and they bring a laptop over and he starts picking songs, and he starts being a DJ for the night, but it's sort of funny because he picks like the same 10 songs every night," the club member said.

The Trump playlist is of a certain era, when he was a regular clubber in New York. The signature tune is the Village People's YMCA, alongside The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston, and a few Elton John numbers.

"Sometimes he dances to it," the club member said. "He will be at his table and he'll dance while sitting."

Towards the end of the evening, Trump will play a hymn, How Great Thou Art, which topped the charts when Elvis Presley sang it. It was a favorite of Trump's father, Fred, a sentimental way of drawing a Mar-a-Lago soiree to a close.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

I was surprised when Trump's lawyers put Judge Dearie on the list; he was and is a well-respected District Judge in New York (based out of the Brooklyn courthouse of the Eastern District), very fair-minded.  My sense is that if had had any bias, it would be a bit of tilt towards law enforcement which would work against Trump.

The idea that the Carter Page episode would tilt him to Trump is silly; it sounds like something Trump himself or one of his less experienced lawyers dreamed up, and the rest of the legal team decided to humor to get the process going.

It is significant that Dearie is requesting that Trump's team supply declarations if they wish to substantiate claims about declassification. Of course, this is what Judge Cannon should have done in the first place, instead of allowing Trump's lawyers to submit "statements of fact" unsupported by affidavits or evidence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 20, 2022, 09:37:16 AMI was surprised when Trump's lawyers put Judge Dearie on the list; he was and is a well-respected District Judge in New York (based out of the Brooklyn courthouse of the Eastern District), very fair-minded.  My sense is that if had had any bias, it would be a bit of tilt towards law enforcement which would work against Trump.

The idea that the Carter Page episode would tilt him to Trump is silly; it sounds like something Trump himself or one of his less experienced lawyers dreamed up, and the rest of the legal team decided to humor to get the process going.

It is significant that Dearie is requesting that Trump's team supply declarations if they wish to substantiate claims about declassification. Of course, this is what Judge Cannon should have done in the first place, instead of allowing Trump's lawyers to submit "statements of fact" unsupported by affidavits or evidence.

Trump's lawyers are arguing in court that they shouldn't have to disclose any potential defences or evidence this early in the process.

Trump asking for a special master then refusing to co-operate with the special master is peak Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

They can take that position but there are consequences.

In real life, outside the Alice-in-Wonderland world of Judge Cannon's courtroom, the fact that documents bear classification markings is presumptive evidence of classification. If you aren't going to offer any evidence to the contrary then the presumption holds.  Trump's law suit is a civil proceeding so 5th amendment protections don't fully apply, adverse inferences can be drawn from silence.

Even though the criminal statutes don't turn on classification, Trump's argument that he has a possessory right in "personal" documents under the Presidential Records Act fails if the docs are classified.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

NY AG filing all kinds of charges against Trump (and referring additional stuff to DoJ) for criminal prosecution as well.

My social media bubble is gleeful, but I'd like a sober second opinion from folks here.