News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The EU thread

Started by Tamas, April 16, 2021, 08:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on September 12, 2022, 09:25:51 AMIn Sweden the Social Democrats sit on a lot of the old votes, people who remember a time when the Soc Dems were THE party in Sweden, so you're not gonna get really big AND be an old-folks party.

Surely they have a on-ramp via mellowing left voters?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on September 12, 2022, 09:28:56 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 12, 2022, 09:25:51 AMIn Sweden the Social Democrats sit on a lot of the old votes, people who remember a time when the Soc Dems were THE party in Sweden, so you're not gonna get really big AND be an old-folks party.

Surely they have a on-ramp via mellowing left voters?

They've grabbed a bunch of old votes, but their profile will by necessity not be old-heavy if they get big, which they have.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Didn't know wether to put this here or in the Hungary thread:

HVC

Surprised it's only 4 percent.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2022, 07:54:13 AMThe same pattern of lower support among the young and the elderly and strongest support amont peak working age people is also present in France, Spain, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands. I believe it's similar in some other Western European countries too (it'd be interesting to know about Eastern Europe).

But I was wondering if anyone had any theories?

Competition for jobs with immigrants and net tax payers.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2022, 05:29:51 PMCompetition for jobs with immigrants and net tax payers.
Maybe - although it makes me wonder more about the US/UK age polarisation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

4 percent sounds extremely low. :p

It is a sad irony that Orban's regime has been built on EU funds and would not have been possible, at least not with this speed, without those grants.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2022, 05:42:44 PMMaybe - although it makes me wonder more about the US/UK age polarisation.

It also doesn't explain the fact that the Pakibashers are strongest in east Germany, which is chalk white.

Sheilbh

Rejoice - this is very positive and huge if it can be agreed :o :w00t:
QuoteMujtaba Rahman
@Mij_Europe
The Commission is planning to leverage cost of living crisis to propose major changes to EU fiscal rules (Stability & Growth Pact) in Oct - effectively jettisoning preventive arm, abandoning annual structural deficit targets & assessing debt sustainability over 10(not 1)yrs 1/
The core idea is to move away from top down, uniform benchmarks to a more tailored, individualised application of the rules. Member states would devise their own debt reduction plan for 10yr alongside reform & investment plans; Bxl would do DSA & make recommendation to Council 2/
-No 1/20 debt reduction rule
-No annual structural fiscal deficit reduction
-No reference to output gaps
-Only benchmark Commission wd consider wd relate to public expenditures

Will Berlin agree?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Anyone who can find delight in that announcement should really be working as a bureaucrat.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2022, 04:11:43 PMAnyone who can find delight in that announcement should really be working as a bureaucrat.
Is working as a lawyer that much more exciting? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

The Larch

That sounds like finally burying the austerity era measures.  :hmm:

Zanza

I have doubts that Christian Lindner will agree to that.

Crazy_Ivan80