News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 02:58:58 PMFun twitter thread about a Canadian citizenship ceremony held today over Zoom.

Seemed like a lengthy delay about who the new citizens are to swear allegiance to, but they go ahead pledging allegiance to King Charles III, King of Canada.  The Queen is dead, God Save the King.

https://twitter.com/robroc/status/1567933492859736073

I was curious if you were going to call him Charles I, King of Canada. I guess you are going to keep with the English Regnal count like the UK does. (Despite there only ever being one Elizabeth of the UK)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2022, 03:05:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:08:05 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2022, 01:07:08 PMA Tweet by The Toronto Star, today, is so true:

The Queen, who died Thursday at age 96, was the last royal to wholly personify the traits of duty, discretion and personal dignity.

That's a really backhanded compliment at her family.  Poor taste.

?

Personal dignity is not allowed to royals who grew up in the tabloid era.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2022, 03:05:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:08:05 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2022, 01:07:08 PMA Tweet by The Toronto Star, today, is so true:

The Queen, who died Thursday at age 96, was the last royal to wholly personify the traits of duty, discretion and personal dignity.

That's a really backhanded compliment at her family.  Poor taste.

?

It's saying that her kids do not personify those things.

Why take a swipe at the kids?  Just say that she personified those virtues and leave it at that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2022, 03:06:43 PMI was curious if you were going to call him Charles I, King of Canada. I guess you are going to keep with the English Regnal count like the UK does. (Despite there only ever being one Elizabeth of the UK)
There's an important constitutional case here which was originally brought by a Scot who objected to her being Elizabeth II not Elizabeth I on official documents, post boxes etc in Scotland :ph34r:

It's mainly important because of some obiter remarks by the Lord Advocate that parliamentary sovereignty is "a distinctively English principle" with no equivalent in Scottish law. He also added that parliament couldn't repeal or fundamentally alter the Act of Unioin - it would need, in some form, an equivalent Scottish act. It's been approvingly quoted by Scottish Law Lords/Supreme Court Justices since but not really touched by the rest of the court. After chatting about that he basically said the monarch can call themselves whatever they want, including the number :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2022, 03:00:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2022, 02:43:39 PMOf course not. You grew up in a castle. I doubt you've ever carried money in your life.
:lol:

QuoteIt is going to cost a mint to change our money over
Just do it gradually as you issue and withdraw notes, no? I think older generations would have currency with the Queen and George VI on their money - until decimalisation at least.

Incidentally on Charles - I think him and William are going to lean heavily into environmental issues. There was already a hint of that at the jubilee but I also think they'll use it as a bridge to younger generations - and it's something Charles has banged on about for fifty years. It is political but basically there's not really any climate change denial in the UK so it's probably safely political for them to regularly say we need to generally do stuff for the environment.

The coinage was very interesting pre-decimalisation; with coins as far back as Victoria in your change  :cool:

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2022, 03:16:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2022, 03:06:43 PMI was curious if you were going to call him Charles I, King of Canada. I guess you are going to keep with the English Regnal count like the UK does. (Despite there only ever being one Elizabeth of the UK)
There's an important constitutional case here which was originally brought by a Scot who objected to her being Elizabeth II not Elizabeth I on official documents, post boxes etc in Scotland :ph34r:

It's mainly important because of some obiter remarks by the Lord Advocate that parliamentary sovereignty is "a distinctively English principle" with no equivalent in Scottish law. He also added that parliament couldn't repeal or fundamentally alter the Act of Unioin - it would need, in some form, an equivalent Scottish act. It's been approvingly quoted by Scottish Law Lords/Supreme Court Justices since but not really touched by the rest of the court. After chatting about that he basically said the monarch can call themselves whatever they want, including the number :lol:

That's a common-sense way of dealing with it!

Besides, she has always been Queen Elizabeth II in Canada.

PJL

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2022, 03:17:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2022, 03:00:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2022, 02:43:39 PMOf course not. You grew up in a castle. I doubt you've ever carried money in your life.

QuoteIt is going to cost a mint to change our money over
Just do it gradually as you issue and withdraw notes, no? I think older generations would have currency with the Queen and George VI on their money - until decimalisation at least.

Incidentally on Charles - I think him and William are going to lean heavily into environmental issues. There was already a hint of that at the jubilee but I also think they'll use it as a bridge to younger generations - and it's something Charles has banged on about for fifty years. It is political but basically there's not really any climate change denial in the UK so it's probably safely political for them to regularly say we need to generally do stuff for the environment.

The coinage was very interesting pre-decimalisation; with coins as far back as Victoria in your change  :cool:

And long afterwards for the old shilling (5p) & two shilling (10p) coins which were legal tender up until 1990 & 1993 respectively. I certainly remember old pre-Elizabeth coins still being in circulation in the 1980s.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Does he always go on and on like that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on September 08, 2022, 03:46:02 PMDoes he always go on and on like that?
Yes. The BBC host was reading out statements from various former PMs and got to Johnson's -"we've got a statement now from former Prime Minister Boris Johnson. It's rather lengthy as you'll see - but, well, we'll just read it out". :lol:

As I say small blessing, but at the very least I don't get the sense Truss will want to be at the centre of attention for all this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

A, err, "Truth" from Trump on Truth Social:

QuoteMelania and I are deeply saddened to learn of the loss of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Together with our family and fellow Americans, we send our sincere condolences to the Royal Family and the people of the United Kingdom during this time of great sorrow and grief. Queen Elizabeth's historic and remarkable reign left a tremendous legacy of peace and prosperity for Great Britain. Her leadership and enduring diplomacy secured and advanced alliances with the United States and countries...

It goes on in similar fashion.  Nicely done.

Another post by Trump early today:

QuoteThe Perverts and Lowlifes of the Lincoln Project are back on, where else, Fox News. I thought they ran away to the asylum after their last catastrophic campaign, with charges made against them that were big time sleaze, and me getting many millions more votes in 2020 than I got in 2016. The Paul Ryun run Fox only has high standards for "Trump" ads, but not for anyone else. The Perverts should not be allowed to "false advertise," and Fox News should not allow it to happen. See you all in Court!!!

Yup - totally written by the same guy!

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on September 08, 2022, 03:04:08 PMLots of small changes to take place, not the least of which is the retirement of the Machin silhouette from all UK and many commonwealth stamps.

I was thinking also of all those queen's crowns they have to swap out now on signs, etc.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:45:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:02:45 PMI also wonder what Alberta's Court of Queen's Bench is going to do.  Do they immediately order lawyers to start using "King's Bench"?  Do they keep QB for a time for a more orderly transition?  Do they keep the name QB?

Or does someone decide this is the opportunity to rename it entirely?  Only the prairie provinces and New Brunswick use QB as the name of our superior court.

Apparently it's states in the statute that even though the statute is named the Court of Queen's Bench Act, that during the reign of a King it will be called the Court of King's Bench.

Yup - apparently at least one Justice confirmed today in court they were sitting as the Court of King's Bench.

Legbiter

That story must rank up there about the queen.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.