News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 12:57:57 PMYou know what - with Ukraine making advances in the war, and with Her Majesty passing away, I think today is the day to take down the Ukrainian flag and put up the Canadian one again (at half mast of course).
Keep the Ukrainian flag up, they need the spirit more than the Royals.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2022, 01:55:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 12:57:57 PMYou know what - with Ukraine making advances in the war, and with Her Majesty passing away, I think today is the day to take down the Ukrainian flag and put up the Canadian one again (at half mast of course).
Keep the Ukrainian flag up, they need the spirit more than the Royals.

But that's just it - I don't think they do right now.  They're kicking Russian ass right now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

The passing of an age, it feels like. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

Quote from: Syt on September 08, 2022, 02:12:27 PMThe passing of an age, it feels like. :(

It does indeed.  For most of us in commonwealth countries she would be the first political figure to enter our awareness given her how ubiquitous she is on our money.  Not many of us carry cash around any more, but "who is the lady on our coins?" is still something I remember explaining to my own kids, and being fascinated by as a kid myself.

Josquius

It'll be curious to see her steadily face away as Charles money steadily replaces Elizabeth money.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 08, 2022, 02:12:27 PMThe passing of an age, it feels like. :(
Yeah there's an age in her father's funeral not being televised and her death being announced by Tweet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2022, 02:27:05 PM
Yeah there's an age in her father's funeral not being televised and her death being announced by Tweet.

Her own coronation was one of the first huge live TV events IIRC?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 08, 2022, 02:31:59 PMHer own coronation was one of the first huge live TV events IIRC?
Yeah. I think so - certainly in the UK I think it was when a lot of families got their first TV specially to watch.

QuoteIt'll be curious to see her steadily face away as Charles money steadily replaces Elizabeth money.
I hadn't even thought of the money - but yeah that, the stamps, the post boxes (very slowly) etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2022, 02:36:14 PMI hadn't even thought of the money

Of course not. You grew up in a castle. I doubt you've ever carried money in your life.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

She lived a good life. God save the King.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

It is going to cost a mint to change our money over

Barrister

Fun twitter thread about a Canadian citizenship ceremony held today over Zoom.

Seemed like a lengthy delay about who the new citizens are to swear allegiance to, but they go ahead pledging allegiance to King Charles III, King of Canada.  The Queen is dead, God Save the King.

https://twitter.com/robroc/status/1567933492859736073
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2022, 02:43:39 PMOf course not. You grew up in a castle. I doubt you've ever carried money in your life.
:lol:

QuoteIt is going to cost a mint to change our money over
Just do it gradually as you issue and withdraw notes, no? I think older generations would have currency with the Queen and George VI on their money - until decimalisation at least.

Incidentally on Charles - I think him and William are going to lean heavily into environmental issues. There was already a hint of that at the jubilee but I also think they'll use it as a bridge to younger generations - and it's something Charles has banged on about for fifty years. It is political but basically there's not really any climate change denial in the UK so it's probably safely political for them to regularly say we need to generally do stuff for the environment.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Lots of small changes to take place, not the least of which is the retirement of the Machin silhouette from all UK and many commonwealth stamps.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:08:05 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2022, 01:07:08 PMA Tweet by The Toronto Star, today, is so true:

The Queen, who died Thursday at age 96, was the last royal to wholly personify the traits of duty, discretion and personal dignity.

That's a really backhanded compliment at her family.  Poor taste.

?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011