News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I also wonder what Alberta's Court of Queen's Bench is going to do.  Do they immediately order lawyers to start using "King's Bench"?  Do they keep QB for a time for a more orderly transition?  Do they keep the name QB?

Or does someone decide this is the opportunity to rename it entirely?  Only the prairie provinces and New Brunswick use QB as the name of our superior court.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:02:45 PMI also wonder what Alberta's Court of Queen's Bench is going to do.  Do they immediately order lawyers to start using "King's Bench"?  Do they keep QB for a time for a more orderly transition?  Do they keep the name QB?

Or does someone decide this is the opportunity to rename it entirely?  Only the prairie provinces and New Brunswick use QB as the name of our superior court.
I wonder if this could lead to any legal shennanigans.
"Oh, it was the Queen who had this case against me, not the King".
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:02:45 PMI also wonder what Alberta's Court of Queen's Bench is going to do.  Do they immediately order lawyers to start using "King's Bench"?  Do they keep QB for a time for a more orderly transition?  Do they keep the name QB?

QCs immediately become KCs (and weird to think I'll probably never see another QC in my lifetime). I'd assume the Queen's Bench Division of the High Court will also just become the King's Bench. It seems like it'd make sense to move to a different name for provincial superior courts though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

A Tweet by The Toronto Star, today, is so true:

The Queen, who died Thursday at age 96, was the last royal to wholly personify the traits of duty, discretion and personal dignity.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2022, 01:07:08 PMA Tweet by The Toronto Star, today, is so true:

The Queen, who died Thursday at age 96, was the last royal to wholly personify the traits of duty, discretion and personal dignity.

That's a really backhanded compliment at her family.  Poor taste.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on September 08, 2022, 01:04:50 PMI wonder if this could lead to any legal shennanigans.

I strongly doubt it.  The style of cause could be easily amended.

But then again - do we need to amend the style of cause on every single criminal file before the courts? :o

Sheilbh

Presumably that's why its R v anyone and the Crown that's prosecuting? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:11:04 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 08, 2022, 01:04:50 PMI wonder if this could lead to any legal shennanigans.

But then again - do we need to amend the style of cause on every single criminal file before the courts? :o

I thought is was always "the crown vs", not "the queen vs"?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 08, 2022, 01:13:34 PM

I thought is was always "the crown vs", not "the queen vs"?

The originating document is either an information or an indictment.  Both list "Her Majesty the Queen" at the top.

It's usually shortened to R v Whomever, but the original court documents are more formal.

HisMajestyBOB

The whole thing could have been avoided if you'd switched to female only succession.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HVC

Interesting. Sounds like a pain to fix, if it does indeed need fixing. Though I guess easier is a digital age.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

You have at least three generations of kings coming so you shouldn't have to change it again for awhile.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2022, 01:22:43 PMYou have at least three generations of kings coming so you shouldn't have to change it again for awhile.
As long as they don't take up jousting like the French Kings did.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Apparently it's states in the statute that even though the statute is named the Court of Queen's Bench Act, that during the reign of a King it will be called the Court of King's Bench.