News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2022, 04:45:59 PMI have now re acquired all the old SPI game favorites except one;

Objective Moscow.

Fucking ridiculous $$$

:whistle:

That wasn't you in the auction war in Canada this week was it?  If you were, you know what I am talking about. :ph34r:

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2022, 07:17:32 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2022, 04:45:59 PMI have now re acquired all the old SPI game favorites except one;

Objective Moscow.

Fucking ridiculous $$$

:whistle:

That wasn't you in the auction war in Canada this week was it?  If you were, you know what I am talking about. :ph34r:

Naw, wasn't me. What's the exec summary?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2022, 07:59:29 PMNaw, wasn't me. What's the exec summary?

There was a monster estate sale with a ton of primo SPI flats titles in Canada earlier this week; unfortunately, they were selling them in bins of about a dozen each, so the stacks were going for $500 a pop. I just didn't have it in me, even for the soapboxes. 

I've scored so many lowball gems off dead gamers the last couple years, I'm going to make sure I have my collection rigged with explosives.

CountDeMoney

Speaking of miniatures and wargame systems--

QuotePeter Shulman's War
Warnerville, New York
One sculptor's lifelong war game is the largest and longest running miniature campaign in history.

Artist Peter Shulman has been channeling his personal pain into a war between the Green (good) and the Gray (bad) for over 60 years, hand-crafting legions of soldiers and fleets of vehicles to skirmish around his wooded home.

Ever since he was a young boy with nothing more to play with than a block of clay, sculptor Peter Shulman has been staging conflicts between the figures he would sculpt. Beginning with a scenario involving a boat that could only carry half of the passengers trying to board it, the battles grew into a full blown war by the time he was a young adult. Sculpting unique figures and equipping them with model vehicles, Shulman worked through his issues and frustrations in battles staged in basements, backyards, and eventually on a small island. By the time he had graduated college, served in the military, and returned, the artist had equipped his war with tanks, an air force, and countless handcrafted soldiers modeled after people he knew.

It wasn't until his first couple of marriages that Shulman put away the war toys, boxing them up and never mentioning the epic battles to either of his first two spouses. That might have been the end of the war, but for a chance visit by comedian Richard Pryor, who ended up playing war with Shulman there and then. With his shame over playing with toys eliminated by Pryor's validating visit, Shulman took the toys out of storage and reignited the war in earnest.

Continuing to build new soldiers and continually expanding his fleet of model vehicles over the years, Shulman moved across multiple homes pitting his positive Green forces (who are only outfitted with American equipment) against the negative Gray forces (who can be outfitted with equipment from any other country) on his increasingly expansive properties. As of 2010, Shulman's collection included 1,100 jets, 3,000 vehicles, and a staggering 58,000 sculpted figures, to say nothing of the battle remnants he has left on previous battlefields. In 1993, Shulman finally even let women into his corps (as aircraft pilots only), basing some of his models on friends and lovers.

Shulman has developed his own rules to the game over his years of play, and while the 60-plus year old war is a well-known endeavor, the artist has never allowed an outsider to actually see him play the game. However field reports and accounts of the battles are kept by Shulman so that the thousands of deaths and conflicts he has created will not have been in vain. 

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/peter-shulman-s-war

30 acres.
http://peterswar.com/index.htm

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

:bleeding: can you imagine trying to deal with those stacks?!

Habbaku

It beggars belief that some people look at that (or set that up) and think "Yes, this is fun".

I'll stick with playable monsters, thanks.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

It's the lack of accuracy that is disturbing.  I see Pvt. Fritz in one of the lower stacks but they failed to model the dodgy firing pin in his rifle.  Typical German fanboys.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 10, 2022, 10:14:14 AMhttps://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205059/mansions-madness-second-edition

Mansions of Madness looks like fun. Anyone play it?
Yep.  I have it and most of the expansions, and have been painting the shit out of the miniatures lately.  I've played it with my wife (she likes it, she's not just humoring me :) ) and will be introducing it to my gaming group soon.

Also, in addition to the 22 total scenarios you have if you buy all the expansions/DLCs, you can get an aftermarket app called Valkyrie with hundreds of free, fan-made scenarios.  I've tried two of those so far and they were both good and I liked the second one (The Sea Devils) as much as any of the 'official' FFG scenarios I've played so far.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 27, 2022, 04:10:44 PMJesus Christ Chris...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/203975838563/permalink/10159393725703564/?m_entstream_source=group

I don't have Facebook, but from this and the following posts, I can only assume you mean Chris Faluso and the Death Ride system? 

Darth Wagtaros

Just finished Clank! Legacy. Was a fun run.
PDH!

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on September 06, 2022, 11:42:46 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 10, 2022, 10:14:14 AMhttps://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205059/mansions-madness-second-edition

Mansions of Madness looks like fun. Anyone play it?
Yep.  I have it and most of the expansions, and have been painting the shit out of the miniatures lately.  I've played it with my wife (she likes it, she's not just humoring me :) ) and will be introducing it to my gaming group soon.

Also, in addition to the 22 total scenarios you have if you buy all the expansions/DLCs, you can get an aftermarket app called Valkyrie with hundreds of free, fan-made scenarios.  I've tried two of those so far and they were both good and I liked the second one (The Sea Devils) as much as any of the 'official' FFG scenarios I've played so far.

What he said. Its good. No panzers, but still good.

Habbaku

Dune: War for Arrakis (War of the Ring-inspired boardgame) preview vid here: https://youtu.be/WajZrGP-kWI

I'm sold. Kickstarter begins in a few days and will violate my rule of not doing Kickstarter.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on September 09, 2022, 02:35:32 PMDune: War for Arrakis (War of the Ring-inspired boardgame) preview vid here: https://youtu.be/WajZrGP-kWI

I'm sold. Kickstarter begins in a few days and will violate my rule of not doing Kickstarter.

Damn, this might make me break my kickstarter fast (over one year since I last backed a game).

frunk

That reminds me, I haven't looked at the "Yes, but what does THIS mean for Up Front?" thread on BGG for years.