News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Parasitic OneDrive

Started by grumbler, August 21, 2022, 05:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

OneDrive has proven a parasite on my system:  it is automatically installed and automatically sucks up all of my data files, then locks up my computer because it becomes too full and won't allow me to run things like my Paradox games unless I give Microsoft money to expand my OneDrive.  I'd love to disable it and forget it, but it seems after looking for that option on the internet) that that is not possible.  Trying to change my "my documents" to a physical drive just results in Win10 telling me that that is not possible because there is a folder that cannot be moved.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?  If I had known of this trap, I would never have upgraded to Win10.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Can't comment on the process, but I can say that it's possible (I'm on Win10 Pro). I have my libraries folder (documents, pictures, downloads, etc.) on my slow, large HDD, away from the SSD drive where I have Windows. I have OneDrive, but only use it for (some) Word and Excel documents.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2022, 05:41:18 PMOneDrive has proven a parasite on my system:  it is automatically installed and automatically sucks up all of my data files, then locks up my computer because it becomes too full and won't allow me to run things like my Paradox games unless I give Microsoft money to expand my OneDrive.  I'd love to disable it and forget it, but it seems after looking for that option on the internet) that that is not possible.  Trying to change my "my documents" to a physical drive just results in Win10 telling me that that is not possible because there is a folder that cannot be moved.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?  If I had known of this trap, I would never have upgraded to Win10.
I have Win10 and my Documents is on my HDD.

Usually, you right click on "Documents" or "My documents", "properties", then "location" and you specify any local drive you want.

I do not understand why it says it is not possible...

You could try to create a folder first, like D:\Data, manually move all your documents there, then point your document folder to that location and see if it works.

I've done this multiple times since win7, it always worked for me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2022, 01:13:22 PMI have Win10 and my Documents is on my HDD.

Usually, you right click on "Documents" or "My documents", "properties", then "location" and you specify any local drive you want.

You could try to create a folder first, like D:\Data, manually move all your documents there, then point your document folder to that location and see if it works.

Thanks for the response.  I tried all of the things that worked for me in the past, like redirecting the My Documents folder, with no joy.  As it turned out, though, there was a buried button in the onedrive administration folder (cleverly hidden not in the management under folder and documents, but only accessible by right-clicking the onedrive button down by the clock).  That allowed me to sever the onedrive's link to my account, effectively turn the onedrive off.

Damn.  That was painful.  It was essentially crippling my computer with alerts that I had to send money to Microsoft because the parasitic drive was full.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2022, 09:31:20 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2022, 01:13:22 PMI have Win10 and my Documents is on my HDD.

Thanks for the response.  I tried all of the things that worked for me in the past, like redirecting the My Documents folder, with no joy.  As it turned out, though, there was a buried button in the onedrive administration folder (cleverly hidden not in the management under folder and documents, but only accessible by right-clicking the onedrive button down by the clock).  That allowed me to sever the onedrive's link to my account, effectively turn the onedrive off.

Damn.  That was painful.  It was essentially crippling my computer with alerts that I had to send money to Microsoft because the parasitic drive was full.
thanks for the feedback! I wasn't aware of that.  I had Onedrive disabled long ago on my gaming computer. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.