News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Another video from Electric Callboy.

Warning - contains German schlager and gore (not a sentence I ever expected to write, but here we are :D ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I'm kinda scared by how well they copy generic schlager songs in the first half. And the second half reminds me of the soundtrack to the old flash game Zombiegrinder 60000 :lol:

https://youtu.be/U77xKkohFAA
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

I was listening to Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello looking for karaoke prospects.  Everything sounded great till I got to the white nigger line.

Tamas

Youtube recommended Norwegian Reggaeton from Nanowar of Steel to me and I approve. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0YXfeNxJJ0

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXSYm-CkUsE

Joan this is for you.

Robbie Robertson talking about his inspiration to write The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

Off the karaoke rotation I think.

The Minsky Moment

I wouldn't have thought he intended to write pro-Confederate propaganda, but as it came out it's too Lost Causey for my taste.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I mean I kind of get "hey think about this from their perspective" but we have tons of songs and other media about this stuff from their perspective. I just don't find it a story that super needs telling again. We already have it directly from the people themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

It was released in 69, at the height of the Civil Rights movement.

Robbie Robertson is (was?) Canadian, so he might have just been tone deaf.

Syt

I assume there's a number of people who remember this particular recording of this particular song ...

—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

I actually bought that CD in Sweden years before I even heard of Paradox games... maybe I should see if I can find it (even if I don't have a CD player). It had some other bangers on it IIRC.

Valmy

I really miss the licensed period music in the Paradox games. The original stuff they do is just meh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Speaking of old music, this guy attempted an Old English version of Never Gonna Give You Up:

He has a bunch of covers in old languages on his channel (Immigrant Song in Old Norse, House of the Rising Sun in Old French, Seven Nation Army in ancient Attican Greece and a few more).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2022, 01:16:38 PMI really miss the licensed period music in the Paradox games. The original stuff they do is just meh.

It's hit and miss for me. The Imperator soundtrack was great ... but seemed to only have a handful of songs. Problem is that with how long you play their games, the soundtracks become repetitive quite fast, and usually they're not of the quality that you'll happily listen to them for countless hours on end - YMMV, of course. E.g. the music in Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim doesn't bother me in the slightest even after countless hours of playing them, and there's plenty themes from them I'm very fond of. With Paradox games I find it better to put on some period appropriate playlists on Spotify or Youtube and have those on, or create my own.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Man I'm having an EU2 flashback. I think I have the soundtrack to that, or was it EU3 that released a soundtrack?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Elden Ring has this song playing on a loop in one area.

Reminds me a lot of Ashokan Farewell?  :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould