News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Edition of D&D on the Horizon

Started by Jacob, August 18, 2022, 07:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

One D&D is the code name, apparently, with an expected release date some time in 2024. They're planning to do serious playtesting/ feedback gathering, with the first batch of material released here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd (you'll need an account to access it).

Valmy

Really? Huh I thought everybody loved 5th edition and thought it was amazing. Seems odd to change what isn't broken.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2022, 08:27:06 PMReally? Huh I thought everybody loved 5th edition and thought it was amazing. Seems odd to change what isn't broken.

It sounds like they are adding to it rather than changing the rule set.

Arvoreen

QuoteWhat is One D&D?

One D&D is the code name for the next generation of Dungeons & Dragons, bringing together three initiatives that will shape the future of the game:

D&D Rules. This takes what we love about fifth edition and updates the rules of the game to reflect the feedback we have heard from players and where the game is today.
D&D Beyond. This will be the platform for your digital D&D collection, content, and tools.
D&D Digital Play Experience. In early development, D&D Digital will offer an immersive player experience, rich creation tools for Dungeon Masters, and a connected space for DMs and players to get together and play D&D.
Our goal is to give you more D&D wherever you play, whenever you want.

Is One D&D introducing a new edition of D&D?

It's bigger than that. One D&D will usher in the next generation of D&D with new and more comprehensive versions of the core rulebooks that millions of players have enjoyed for the past decade. The rules will be backward compatible with fifth edition adventures and supplements and offer players and Dungeon Masters new options and opportunities for adventure. The evolution of fifth edition has shown us it's less important to create new editions of the game and more important to grow and expand the game you love with each new product.

What does backward compatible mean?

It means that fifth edition adventures and supplements will work in One D&D. For example, if you want to run Curse of Strahd in One D&D, that book will work with the new versions of the core rulebooks. Our goal is for you to keep enjoying the content you already have and make it even better. You'll see this in action through the playtest materials, which you will be able to provide feedback on.

What is changing with the One D&D rules?

There will be many fundamental updates to D&D that we will collect your feedback on. In the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest content, you'll see proposed updates to character backgrounds, races, classes, feats, information presentation, and more. Ultimately, the answer to what will change depends on what we hear from you throughout One D&D playtests.

When will the One D&D rules be released?

The new core rulebooks are expected to be released in 2024.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Berkut

Sounds like they are going after Roll20 pretty directly there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Official digital support for D&D is pretty poor, there are a bunch of great third-party tools that have filled that void and I guess they want to move into that space.

Jacob

Yeah, I've seen speculation that they're hoping to do a long term subscription type monetization model for online tools, with sales of cosmetics and whatnot. Makes sense to me. There's got to be a bunch of D&D whales out there.

For my part, I expect I'll be staying over in the OSR camp enjoying my vintage and indie iterations of the game.

Arvoreen

Looking at the initial content they have, it actually looks pretty interesting...they are streamlining things even more -- and giving you more freedom to mix and match and create your own thing.  I actually thought it was pretty cool and has lots of possibilities. Of course, the devil is in the details and I have no clue how the overall thing will work in practice

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2022, 01:00:02 PMFor my part, I expect I'll be staying over in the OSR camp enjoying my vintage and indie iterations of the game.

Gatekeeping chud.  You're not fooling anyone, you know.

CountDeMoney

OK, Old School...So it's been a few months since you elaborated on your anti-Papist anti-cleric/pally and druid stance; how has the game balance been since you've tanked them? And have you reconsidered the concept of minor healing to make them, say, more difficult to level, or perhaps more component-heavy while less effective?