What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I get the feeling like so much stuff the modern right get up to it's less they actually oppose contraception much and more they know it will really piss off teh libs.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

So what is up with Joe Manchin suddenly doing a 180 turn on climate change and healthcare?

Grey Fox

Trust nothing until they actually hold a vote. Manchin is very good at making sure he is the most important senator.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2022, 06:38:03 AMTrust nothing until they actually hold a vote. Manchin is very good at making sure he is the most important senator.

There is also Sinema.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2022, 06:38:03 AMTrust nothing until they actually hold a vote. Manchin is very good at making sure he is the most important senator.

Does all this help him back home in WV? If it does I guess it is pain worth suffering. It is not like we can expect something better out of that state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

All the coal-filled stockings left you bitter, eh?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 29, 2022, 09:44:30 PMAll the coal-filled stockings left you bitter, eh?

I have nothing against WV, I am just realistic to know a right wing Democrat is the best we can reasonably expect politically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Solmyr on July 29, 2022, 04:21:33 AMSo what is up with Joe Manchin suddenly doing a 180 turn on climate change and healthcare?

From what I've read China hawkery - at least on energy and need to be self-reliant/de-couple on energy including through decarbonisation (which should be made in America).
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on July 23, 2022, 03:41:39 PMI get the feeling like so much stuff the modern right get up to it's less they actually oppose contraception much and more they know it will really piss off teh libs.
it's not exactly new.  Pope John Paul II opposed contraception.  I think it's still official Vatican policy to opposed it, but they are much less vocal about it.

it's just that now they feel empowere by their Supreme Court to fuck up everyone's life.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on August 01, 2022, 01:05:07 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 23, 2022, 03:41:39 PMI get the feeling like so much stuff the modern right get up to it's less they actually oppose contraception much and more they know it will really piss off teh libs.
it's not exactly new.  Pope John Paul II opposed contraception.  I think it's still official Vatican policy to opposed it, but they are much less vocal about it.

it's just that now they feel empowere by their Supreme Court to fuck up everyone's life.

These American Conservative nuts are mostly various forms of reformed Christian right?
Anglicans at least have traditionally been fine with johnnies. Do calvinists align with popery? :o
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It's hard to overstate the influence of the Catholic right on political evangelism in the US - I mean just look at the Supreme Court, Alito in Rome, Bannon's far-right project in Italy (I think now blocked by the Church), First Things, "common good" constitutionalism. Not to mention all the conservative intellectual standard bearers like Buckley.

Worth noting a lot comes from converts (not Buckley) which is an interesting side to it and possibly speaks to what they were looking for in the Catholic Church.

Edit: And it goes both ways - the most hardline ultra-conservative/trad organisations in the Catholic Church get bucketloads of cash from the US and are in big fights on many fronts with Francis.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Contraception isn't going to be banned in the US. If it went to the states maybe Utah, but I'm saying that with some ignorance of the politics there. The two major churches against contraception are the mormons and catholics, neither of which are players in the US south (the culturally conservative region you people seem to think will ban contraceptives). Protestant groups politically have been allying with catholics on a bunch of issues for many reasons. But if you go to marriage counseling in the south or talk to the ministers contraception is a part of family planning. There is a reason ministers have 2 kids instead of a dozen.

Abortion and gay marriage are different. But thinking contraception is going to be banned is madness.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

I thought abortion being banned was madness, yet here we are.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on August 01, 2022, 08:58:54 AMAbortion and gay marriage are different. But thinking contraception is going to be banned is madness.
I agree - but Griswold is the other ruling that's been pointed at as clearly wrongly decided and from my understanding would be squarely in scope under the approach to overturn Roe.

Where it might come up I imagine is health insurance.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

The thing is contraception is already banned in some states, those laws just are dormant because of Griswold. I wouldn't wager money on a state like Alabama explicitly unbanning contraceptives even in 2022, were Griswold to fall.