What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on July 17, 2022, 02:36:31 AMChallenge accepted

https://youtu.be/Hi2yvpdtz1M

Yours is plenty goofy, but mine has Democratic Klansmen coming to murder a black man in his house.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2022, 08:30:07 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 17, 2022, 02:36:31 AMChallenge accepted

https://youtu.be/Hi2yvpdtz1M

Yours is plenty goofy, but mine has Democratic Klansmen coming to murder a black man in his house.

Joke's on him.  Democratic Klansmen always travel in groups of 666.  He won't make a serious dent before the first magazine change,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2022, 10:25:42 PMLook Manchin is useful because he is not pathologically obstructionist and will vote for appointments and other things. We just aren't going to get any progressive legislation through with him and Sinema being deciding votes. But we can pass things and we did, which is more than it looked like when Joe Biden was first elected.

I think in the national view people take of politics where it is always red vs blue instead of state vs state or region vs region that Manchin wasn't elected to represent Democrats, he was elected to represent West Virginia. I am just glad he is not a Republican even if his thinking is often more conservative than many of them, but he isn't a partisan enemy so he can be dealt with to achieve some things. There is that at least.

Considering politics is reorienting away from centre/'left' vs. right and towards democracy vs. authoritarianism, it does seem a sensible move for the Democrats to put up more (small d) democratic candidates in conservative states.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yes it seems like at this stage pro-democracy forces in the US must find a way to work with anyone who is not OK with a fascist autocracy.

OttoVonBismarck

Our robust President has tested positive for covid, apparently mild symptoms so far.

Habbaku

It will be the ultimate proof of how hilariously fucked we are if Biden dies from Covid where Trump didn't.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on July 21, 2022, 11:51:42 AMIt will be the ultimate proof of how hilariously fucked we are if Biden dies from Covid where Trump didn't.

Well, whatever will be pumped into Biden is well tried and tested by now, Trump was pumped full of experimental stuff.  :P

Syt

I assume the Rs voting against this argue that this should be a matter that the states, not federal government decide on?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

25 Quatloos says it's a non-binding resolution.

Syt

It's a bill, but it might as well be a non-binding resolution since it's unlikely to get enough GOP votes in the Senate:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-contraception-bill-vote-supreme-court/

Though I suppose making them go on record for voting against it is probably might be to send a signal to voters ahead of the midterms.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

The story doesn't present the Republican argument.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 22, 2022, 03:17:22 AMThe story doesn't present the Republican argument.

What is the Republican argument?

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2022, 10:11:31 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 22, 2022, 03:17:22 AMThe story doesn't present the Republican argument.

The definition of contraceptive was overly expansive to the point it would include medicated abortion.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

That the Supreme Court is not going to overturn Griswold so the vote is pointless.  It's not a very good argument.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 22, 2022, 10:42:14 AM

The definition of contraceptive was overly expansive to the point it would include medicated abortion.

Here's the relevant bill text
Quote(1) CONTRACEPTION.—The term "contraception" means an action taken to prevent pregnancy, including the use of contraceptives or fertility-awareness based methods, and sterilization procedures.

(2) CONTRACEPTIVE.—The term "contraceptive" means any drug, device, or biological product intended for use in the prevention of pregnancy, whether specifically intended to prevent pregnancy or for other health needs, that is legally marketed under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, such as oral contraceptives, long-acting reversible contraceptives, emergency contraceptives, internal and external condoms, injectables, vaginal barrier methods, transdermal patches, and vaginal rings, or other contraceptives.

I'm not seeing the argument.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson