News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2022, 05:31:45 PMCan I come over to your house to play?

Of course! Which side do you want to play? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

A white wizard and a grey wizard. Both by Reaper.

The Brain

Some simple terrain for "placing" the battlefield, like the runestone upthread. Elf area, somewhere that was part of old Gondor/Arnor, or dwarf hold (abandoned or otherwise). From left to right: Reaper, Ziterdes, and Alien Lab.

The gazebo is soft plastic so not exactly a precision model.

grumbler

I really like the middle one.  It reminds me of that awesome scene in The Fellowship of the Ring.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on September 03, 2021, 12:17:51 PMAwh man... I've been eyeing the Victrix stuff for a while but with my painting speed... and they're typically 60! in a box.

I'm interested in the Saxon/ Norman/ Vikings (as usual). I also want some of the various Celts (mostly for fantasy purposes). I'm also pretty infatuated with the Carthaginian Elephants and Celtic Chariots as well, even though I have no specific gaming use for them.

But right now I've been buying a fair bit of Oathmark minis (which come in a more reasonable 30 minis a box) and that's probably already too much. And there are other great manufacturers also. It's a really great time to be into minis, that's for sure.

FYI Victrix just announced that they will offer their Norman and Anglo-Saxon minis in bags of 30, and do this for more Dark Age minis if it's successful. This as a result of a recent survey (which I answered, though I didn't mention pack sizes).

The Brain

Some elves. My rough idea is that the first two are Lórien border watchers, the next two are wood elves from Mirkwood, one of them possibly of royal blood, and the last one is a noble warrior out of Rivendell. The first three are Oathmark, the last two Reaper.

Now I feel like I have a decent LOTR collection; I can form most relevant GW Battle Companies. I have more stuff that I can paint if I feel like it, but it feels good to have a solid LOTR base.

The Brain

Some more Vikings, from V&V Miniatures.

grumbler

I like the Sean Connery figure in the bottom picture left.  Looks like it is from Robin and Marian (a much-overlooked film, IMO).

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I have some Judge Dredd figures from Warlord that I consider painting. The world of Judge Dredd is pretty whimsical, so there's a lot of freedom for a painter. The judge uniforms though should be made to look reasonably "correct" I think, so I did a color test for them. The figure had a manufacturing error and misses part of his left arm (not really visible in the pic), so he got to volunteer. I haven't based him yet, but it's just gonna be some tarmac. Came out OK I think. :)

The Brain

Street Judges are ready to fight crime in Mega-City 1. The figures are soft resin, which I haven't worked with a lot before.

As for rules, I have a few. Years ago I got the Gangs of Mega-City One boxed set from Mongoose, which included rules and some multi-part plastic figures and paper terrain. Later I also got the expanded version of those rules published by Warlord. And finally I have the current offering from Warlord, which is a new system (with different authors from the earlier rules). I haven't played any of them so I can't say which is the best.

Sophie Scholl

This is definitely a thread I missed. Amazing work, as always, Brain!  :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Sophie Scholl

The Counts-As LotR pieces remind me a lot of some of the old MERP ICE Mithril Miniatures. They have that 80's/90's mini feel to them. I remember wanting to order those so badly as a teen when I first got deep into LotR.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 14, 2022, 03:07:45 PMThe Counts-As LotR pieces remind me a lot of some of the old MERP ICE Mithril Miniatures. They have that 80's/90's mini feel to them. I remember wanting to order those so badly as a teen when I first got deep into LotR.

Yeah, I loved Mithril back in the day, and still do. Don't know if you noticed above but the Nazgul I painted are Mithril figures.