News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Elemental: War of Magic (I know, I know) had an idea there - you could research lore, or whatever it was, and it would reveal new, harder goodie huts/encounters on the map. I could see something like this for Stellaris, where some mid or late game tech adds more anomalies/archaeological sites of higher difficulty to explored space. Also makes science ships more useful later in the game. Maybe just add a ping for "potential anomalies". Or start revealing new systems based on tech (perhaps scientists didn't find them worth exploring before?). Of course that creates the issue of some empires seeing "Strange New Worlds" ( :P ) before others. I would keep them hidden until someone sends a ship there - then everyone knows about it (or something to that effect).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2022, 09:20:02 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2022, 09:13:40 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2022, 08:39:47 AMCan someone sum up the angst? I don't get it.

The skin tone of the default human is apparently no longer white
So it's just the default that has changed?

Huh. People get worked up over the strangest things.

They (at least the comments Syt picked out) seem to be pretty racist so yeah, they'll get worked up over the skin color of default avatars.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2022, 09:20:02 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2022, 09:13:40 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2022, 08:39:47 AMCan someone sum up the angst? I don't get it.

The skin tone of the default human is apparently no longer white
So it's just the default that has changed?

Huh. People get worked up over the strangest things.
They are so addicted to outrage that they will find something to get triggered by.
PDH!

celedhring

You know, you've just made me entertain the thought experiment of what an alien would think the "average" human looks like? I suppose it would have some undefined Asian traits.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2022, 02:03:55 AMYou know, you've just made me entertain the thought experiment of what an alien would think the "average" human looks like? I suppose it would have some undefined Asian traits.
Only because you are woke commie!

I'm preparing to run for town representative as MAGA.

PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2022, 02:03:55 AMYou know, you've just made me entertain the thought experiment of what an alien would think the "average" human looks like? I suppose it would have some undefined Asian traits.

Extrapolating forward with current trends (always an error) the one on the right isn't too bad. Africa is growing a lot and the eyes do look vaguely Asian.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

If the aliens are not humanoid we will probably look remarkably similar- bipedal creatures with only two arms, one head with a significant propensity to kill members of its own species.

I doubt they are going to notice or care much about differences in colouring.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2022, 08:23:50 AMIf the aliens are not humanoid we will probably look remarkably similar- bipedal creatures with only two arms, one head with a significant propensity to kill members of its own species.

I doubt they are going to notice or care much about differences in colouring.

Big assumption.
Equally likely differences in colour is a huge deal to them. It's likely a lot easier to see if someone is black or white than to spot the difference between different white peoples faces.

And on the humans killing each other thing... This is a common thing people say about humans but it quite annoys me. One of the main distinguishing features of humans is quite the opposite, we are super social and into collaboration in big groups. That we are great at killing each other is just a fact of being animals.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

You are correct that we are not unique in our capacity to kill our own species.

But an alien with the ability to actually observe us will most likely not have that attribute. 

Solmyr

Those big groups collaborate to kill other groups. :D

Zanza

I think Stellaris is now at the best state its ever been. Sure, there are performance issues in late game and midgame is still a bit bland. But the latest additions and the current balance and AI competence is pretty good. If you look for a 4X that creates fun narratives, it is worth to revisit Stellaris. 

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on June 01, 2022, 11:11:36 AMI think Stellaris is now at the best state its ever been. Sure, there are performance issues in late game and midgame is still a bit bland. But the latest additions and the current balance and AI competence is pretty good. If you look for a 4X that creates fun narratives, it is worth to revisit Stellaris. 

Yes, I have been enjoying the game with the latest patch despite pretty much giving up on it in the past.

Berkut

Is war still an exercise in whack-a-mole?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Do the extra bells and whistles in the DLC add to the experience - or is this just with the free patch?

Zanza

I buy all the DLCs as I don't want to miss out, so I cannot compare it to the base game without DLCs.