Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

I'm planning on joining a 5e campaign for my first run with D&D in over a decade outside of some one shots. I plan on going with a Tiefling Paladin on the Redemption path. Should be fun!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Just got the The One Ring 2nd Ed rulebook. Never owned/played the 1st ed, but I had a lot of fun in MERP back in the day, so nice to see another take on RPG in Middle-Earth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on March 16, 2022, 03:21:44 PMJust got the The One Ring 2nd Ed rulebook. Never owned/played the 1st ed, but I had a lot of fun in MERP back in the day, so nice to see another take on RPG in Middle-Earth.

I appreciate the fact that it's in those decades between Hobbit and Fellowship, so you can campaign for a lifetime in a familiar setting without being railroaded into specific plotlines.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Brain on March 16, 2022, 03:21:44 PMJust got the The One Ring 2nd Ed rulebook. Never owned/played the 1st ed, but I had a lot of fun in MERP back in the day, so nice to see another take on RPG in Middle-Earth.
I was part of a 5 year irl campaign using 1st edition and it stands as the best system I've ever used in a rpg. I backed the Kickstarter for the second edition and have all manner of goodies. STarter set, book, dice, giant cloth map, and another book on the way. I really, really hope I can find a crew to run it with. I have dreams of adapting some of the material from MERP and the Appendices to run a fall of Arnor campaign. As Seedy mentions, the base era is definitely perfectly aligned to have some fun adventures without fucking things up and being beholden to major events overly.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 16, 2022, 04:34:28 PM
I was part of a 5 year irl campaign and it stands as the best system I've ever used in a rpg. I backed the Kickstarter for the second edition and have all manner of goodies. STarter set, book, dice, giant cloth map, and another book on the way. I really, really hope I can find a crew to run it with. I have dreams of adapting some of the material from MERP and the Appendices to run a fall of Arnor campaign.

:nerd:

Cool. :) Do you hope to play IRL or online?

Sophie Scholl

Either. The 5 year campaign had to be finished up in the COVID era, so I played both ways. In person is far more fun in my opinion, but online is workable if necessary. We used to have "Hobbit Feasts" during the IRL days where everyone would bring one or two dishes to share and we'd all have a nice meal before starting into a session. Things like that and the much more fluid manner of play that is possible when people can see each other to pick up on social cues and what not makes it far far better.

The Brain

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 16, 2022, 04:44:12 PMEither. The 5 year campaign had to be finished up in the COVID era, so I played both ways. In person is far more fun in my opinion, but online is workable if necessary. We used to have "Hobbit Feasts" during the IRL days where everyone would bring one or two dishes to share and we'd all have a nice meal before starting into a session. Things like that and the much more fluid manner of play that is possible when people can see each other to pick up on social cues and what not makes it far far better.

Good luck! :)

I have learnt to be completely fine with online play, where everyone is on video. With modules for the game there are even advantages.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 16, 2022, 04:34:28 PMI have dreams of adapting some of the material from MERP and the Appendices to run a fall of Arnor campaign. As Seedy mentions, the base era is definitely perfectly aligned to have some fun adventures without fucking things up and being beholden to major events overly.

In a mildly related and completely predictable vein, I've been collecting a shit ton of 1st and 2nd edition ICE MERP stuff the last couple years.  If you need pdfs, let me know.  God knows that shit is expensive.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2022, 05:42:31 PM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 16, 2022, 04:34:28 PMI have dreams of adapting some of the material from MERP and the Appendices to run a fall of Arnor campaign. As Seedy mentions, the base era is definitely perfectly aligned to have some fun adventures without fucking things up and being beholden to major events overly.

In a mildly related and completely predictable vein, I've been collecting a shit ton of 1st and 2nd edition ICE MERP stuff the last couple years.  If you need pdfs, let me know.  God knows that shit is expensive.

Ooooh! Cool!

Where are you getting the PDFs?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2022, 05:42:31 PMIn a mildly related and completely predictable vein, I've been collecting a shit ton of 1st and 2nd edition ICE MERP stuff the last couple years.  If you need pdfs, let me know.  God knows that shit is expensive.
I think I have most/all of the pdf's? If you have any holes in your collection, I can check mine!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2022, 06:13:23 PMOoooh! Cool!

Where are you getting the PDFs?

I scored a bunch of scanned copies from a guy that was selling them "for personal use" only, but as I've been collecting mint hard copies whenever I can, I have quite a bit now. I have more MERP modules and supplements than I don't at this point. 
The maps from those original ICE productions are simply too beautiful to be satisfied with scanned copies.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2022, 06:21:29 PMI scored a bunch of scanned copies from a guy that was selling them "for personal use" only, but as I've been collecting mint hard copies whenever I can, I have quite a bit now. I have more MERP modules and supplements than I don't at this point. 
The maps from those original ICE productions are simply too beautiful to be satisfied with scanned copies.
100%. I nabbed a copy of the Minas Ithil book with the map in pristine condition and I'm sorely tempted to frame it.

CountDeMoney

You guys thought I was too goofy collecting shit years ago, you should see what I've amassed now. :ph34r:

My storage unit AKA the Toy Chest--

I've been on a real vintage RPG kick the last couple years; managed to score a lot of older 80s/90s stuff.

Been making a killing on the estate auction market.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 16, 2022, 06:32:00 PM100%. I nabbed a copy of the Minas Ithil book with the map in pristine condition and I'm sorely tempted to frame it.

Get it high-resolution scanned by a professional framer and do it that way.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2022, 06:33:15 PMYou guys thought I was too goofy collecting shit years ago, you should see what I've amassed now. :ph34r:

My storage unit AKA the Toy Chest--

*snip*
I've heard of a dusty stack, but that, sir, is a dusty storage locker! I'm not sure whether to be impressed or afraid. A little of both I think!  :lol: