News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

KOTOR is getting a remake

Started by viper37, September 10, 2021, 03:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I wonder how much they'll actually change.  Obviously they'll need to include more homosexuals, but are there elements of the game that wouldn't pass muster in this day and age?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Putting aside any complaints of SJW/wokeness, I'm confused a little by this.

There's been several cases of games being re-made - you take the basic concept but built a new game.  I'm familiar with games being re-mastered - you take the same plot and re-do the engine/graphics for newer hardware.

But sounds like they're trying to go somewhere inbetween on this one?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Isn't that a bit like FFVII? I think it's a re-master but also lots of new content.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 13, 2021, 07:21:14 PM
Oooheee! Crazed SJW v Crazyed Triggered gamer snowflakes.  Maybe I'll buy it just to take both sides.

Maybe they can combine it with the second game, which was half-finished when it cam eout.

There's a mod on Steam to restore the content.  The Sith Lod Restored content mod.  It is great, with improved graphics.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Even with the restoration mod I found KotOR2 disjointed and badly paced. It has great characters and cool ideas, but the execution is not very good (not least thanks to a very tight timeline for the devs).

Obsidian struggled with similar issues when they made Fallout: New Vegas, but I think it's the far better of the two.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2021, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2021, 07:02:15 AM
Personally, I think there's some content that could bear rewriting ... like basically all the dark side choice dialogue so it's maybe more, how to phrase this ... subtle? :P
I mean this is a theme in Star Wars - there's no slow slide into the dark side ever :lol:
It exists in the books :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Actually, let me clarify my post: I think Obsidian's story telling ambition, with cinematic set pieces and what not ran into the harsh limitations of Bioware's KotOR game engine.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2021, 04:15:19 PM
Isn't that a bit like FFVII? I think it's a re-master but also lots of new content.

From what I understood the FFVII remake was dramatically different. But, to be fair, I never played either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2021, 11:08:22 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2021, 04:15:19 PM

From what I understood the FFVII remake was dramatically different. But, to be fair, I never played either.

Yeah the FVII remake that came out isn't even the full story of the original, just a section of it greatly expanded.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2021, 11:07:56 AM
Actually, let me clarify my post: I think Obsidian's story telling ambition, with cinematic set pieces and what not ran into the harsh limitations of Bioware's KotOR game engine.
it's possible, by the second game, the engine was a tad dated, I think.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2021, 11:03:39 AM
Even with the restoration mod I found KotOR2 disjointed and badly paced. It has great characters and cool ideas, but the execution is not very good (not least thanks to a very tight timeline for the devs).

Obsidian struggled with similar issues when they made Fallout: New Vegas, but I think it's the far better of the two.

I always thought that the ending was a big copout, they kept building Kreia as this super-interesting "gray Jedi" and then end up making her just another Sith that you have to slay.

Valmy

Yeah KOTOR2 has tons of failures and problems...yet still amazing. It certainly sticks with me more than KOTOR did.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2021, 02:24:39 PM
Yeah KOTOR2 has tons of failures and problems...yet still amazing. It certainly sticks with me more than KOTOR did.

It's the one I have replayed the most, certainly. I guess a KOTOR2 remake is an option if KOTOR1 does well, but I'm not sure it makes sense without Obsidian involved.

Syt

Well, so much for that.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-26/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-game-paused-amid-studio-shakeup

QuoteStar Wars Knights of the Old Republic Game Paused Amid Studio Shakeup

A hotly anticipated new Star Wars game is in serious trouble, according to people familiar with the project.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, a remake of a 2003 role-playing game, is delayed indefinitely as developers at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr Media try to figure out what comes next. Aspyr also abruptly fired the game's art director and design director this month. In a series of meetings throughout July, Aspyr's two studio heads told employees that the project is on pause and that the company will look for new contracts and development opportunities, said the people, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the situation.

Knights of the Old Republic was to be one of the first modern Star Wars console games released outside of Electronic Arts Inc., which had previously held the exclusive licensing rights. That deal expires in 2023, opening the door for new Star Wars games from outside companies like Aspyr, Ubisoft Entertainment SA and Quantic Dream SA.

The game was announced last September and has been in development for nearly three years at Aspyr, which was purchased by Sweden's Embracer Group AB last year. Aspyr, founded in 1996, was best known as a service shop that brought existing video games to other platforms, such as iOS, including the original Knights of the Old Republic games.

On June 30, Aspyr finalized a demo of the game, known as a vertical slice, to show to production partners Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC and Sony Group Corp. The developers were excited about it and felt like they were on track, according to a person familiar with the project, so they were shocked by what happened next.

The following week, the company fired design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor.
Neither responded to requests for comment, but Minor suggested on a social media page that his dismissal was unexpected.

Representatives for Aspyr and Embracer didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

Aspyr's studio heads told staff that the vertical slice wasn't where they wanted it to be and that the project would be paused, according to two people who were in the meeting. One person familiar with the discussions suggested that a disproportionate amount of time and money had gone into the demo and that the project's current course wasn't sustainable. Another point of contention may be the timeline. At the outset of development, Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025.

The fate of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic remains unclear. In May, Embracer announced that Saber Interactive would also join the project. Some at Aspyr believe that Saber, which has mainly been doing outsourcing work for the project, may take it over completely.

Aspyr did the phone and Switch ports for KotOR 1 and 2, and from what I read online they didn't do exactly stellar jobs of it, with people reporting major bugs that never got fixed.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

That's just the last in a long string of Star Wars games cancelled/delayed indefinitely in the past months. We can't have nice things.  :(