News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Mandalorian!

Loved that they went with [spoiler]the hapless village hires mercenaries against bandits that attack them trope[/spoiler], which is one of my favorite western tropes. They also [spoiler]used the AT-ST quite well, with the "red eyes" and all. But these things aren't really really suited to forest fighting  :lol:[/spoiler]

That said, it[spoiler] felt a bit like a diversion episode and the main plot wasn't advanced at all. I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it, if this was a longer show... Also, I hope they come up with a good explanation for the tracking fobs, so this doesn't become a "how come they didn't use this tech before" thing, and also why the Mando ever thought he could leave the child there alone.[/spoiler].

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2019, 05:13:02 AM
With the latest Rise of Skywalker trailer I'm expecting Anakin to make an appearance in the movie.

Reasoning:
- They keep talking of "Skywalker", but never specify which one.
- Hayden Christensen and Ian McDiarmid made the rounds this year, attending various conventions, charities etc. together, and we know Palpatine will be part of the movie, somehow.

If Vader was to show up in the next Star Wars movie I doubt Disney would have the restrain to not spoil it in the marketing.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 29, 2019, 03:57:45 PM
If Vader was to show up in the next Star Wars movie I doubt Disney would have the restrain to not spoil it in the marketing.

I dunno- they've been quite restrained in their marketing so far.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 29, 2019, 03:56:05 PM
Mandalorian!

Loved that they went with [spoiler]the hapless village hires mercenaries against bandits that attack them trope[/spoiler], which is one of my favorite western tropes. They also [spoiler]used the AT-ST quite well, with the "red eyes" and all. But these things aren't really really suited to forest fighting  :lol:[/spoiler]

That said, it[spoiler] felt a bit like a diversion episode and the main plot wasn't advanced at all. I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it, if this was a longer show... Also, I hope they come up with a good explanation for the tracking fobs, so this doesn't become a "how come they didn't use this tech before" thing, and also why the Mando ever thought he could leave the child there alone.[/spoiler].

I love the trope, too, [spoiler]but they already did pretty much the same in Clone Wars (though the Seven Samurai vibes were even more overt - at least they put new spins on it). Loved that they managed to make an AT-ST a bit spooky and scary. And it seems reasonable that some of the old equipment falls into wrong hands. Hell, in Rebels they come across forgotten Clone Wars bases/supplies more than once.

I didn't see it as much of a diversion but as a moment of character development for Mando. He has some of his edges filed off, and he's confronted with the temptation of settling down. He's also made to question some parts of the Mandalorian code, especially the helmet thing. I expect there'll be a pay off to that, what with the "if you take it off you can't put it back on" bit. That stuff still needs to be reconciled with the rest of the canon.

I was expecting the widow to reveal that she is Mandalorian. She's accomplished with a gun, and she looked a bit like Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett). I expected that she might go on a bit of a speech. "Dude, you guys are doing what now? That helmet thing ... are you dumb? Let me tell you about the REAL Mandalorians."

Also not sure how the tracking fobs work. Best guess is genetic signature (because he used it also on his first bounty in the premiere episode). Wookieepedia is no help yet.

I hope we'll see more of Cara Dune.[/spoiler]

I did love that they put a Loth Cat into a scene. :D

I still feel that she show takes the best bits of Rebels/Clone Wars in terms of short form storytelling and puts them in a high budget live action format. I highly approve.

Coming back to Episode 3 for a moment - [spoiler]the Heavy Mandalorian is credited as "Paz Vizla." Now, during Clone Wars/Rebels there was an important house Vizsla, but since the spelling is (slightly) different they might be unrelated?[/spoiler]

P.S.: [spoiler]I have the gut feeling that the Yodling is more aware/mature than he lets on.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 29, 2019, 03:57:45 PM

Not Vader. Anakin. :P ;)

Putting Palpatine a gazillion Star Destroyers, and Death Star debris into the trailers etc. has people already plenty hyped, I think.

There don't seem to be midnight premieres for Rise of Skywalker. Earliest screening I could find is in IMAX, 18th December, 2:30 pm. I will be there. :cool:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Syt,

Gina Carano is listed to be in second season, so not sure if back in these last half of first season but will see her again.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: katmai on November 30, 2019, 01:32:25 PM
Syt,

Gina Carano is listed to be in second season, so not sure if back in these last half of first season but will see her again.

I've read that she's also in two more episodes in this season. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zoupa

Kat, do you if Bill Burr is a one-off appearance or more of a regular going forward?

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2019, 03:39:04 AM
Coming back to Episode 3 for a moment - [spoiler]the Heavy Mandalorian is credited as "Paz Vizla." Now, during Clone Wars/Rebels there was an important house Vizsla, but since the spelling is (slightly) different they might be unrelated?[/spoiler]

Well, there is [spoiler]Shae Vizla, who is a pretty important character in SWTOR. Paz might be a descendant of the same clan. Wonder if they referenced SWTOR in this oblique way on purpose?[/spoiler]

Syt

[spoiler]Well, KOTOR/SWTOR content has been canonized in various ways. Like Onderon which showed up in Clone Wars and introduced Saul Gerrera's character (Forest Whitaker in Rogue One), or the folks from Manaan, the Hammerhead ships, an SWTOR style droid showing up in Clone Wars, and probably more things I've forgotten.[/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2019, 02:54:11 PM
Kat, do you if Bill Burr is a one-off appearance or more of a regular going forward?
if his character has even appeared in in first four episodes I haven't noticed him...
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Zoupa

Me neither, I just saw him in one of the trailers.

Tamas

House Vizsla in Rebels?  :D Vizsla is a Hungarian dog breed :p

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on December 01, 2019, 05:33:54 PM
[spoiler]Well, KOTOR/SWTOR content has been canonized in various ways. Like Onderon which showed up in Clone Wars and introduced Saul Gerrera's character (Forest Whitaker in Rogue One), or the folks from Manaan, the Hammerhead ships, an SWTOR style droid showing up in Clone Wars, and probably more things I've forgotten.[/spoiler]

Some people also spotted a Jedi Defender starship in the trailer for Rise of Skywalker (not really a spoiler, this one).

11B4V

I'm liking the show, but something seems off. Maybe the short runtime..annoying
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".