News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by HVC - April 18, 2024, 03:12:30 PM
More expensive means you need to draw more money, putting you in a higher tax bracket when you retire. Might not be the same as when you were working, but higher then you planned. Living longer I'll admit i am mistaken, as far as taxes go, but might mean you either run out of rrsp or live a poorer life then was intended.
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by Admiral Yi - April 18, 2024, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 10:27:09 AMNo video is allowed in the court room. Does that mean that nothing happens there?

Plenty of video is allowed in the court room.
Last post by Jacob - April 18, 2024, 02:52:16 PM
Eh? If things get more expensive, then presumably the same amount of money will be in a lower tax bracket the further in the future you get? Same with living longer - if you live longer, you'll need to stretch the same amount longer which will make your yearly payments (and those tax payments) lower?
Last post by HVC - April 18, 2024, 02:49:04 PM
In theory your RRSP is taxed at a lower rate when you retire because you're in a lower tax bracket. So you reduce your tax burden when you're working and get lower taxed income when you retire. That doesn't always work out, especially as life gets more expensive and people live longer.
Last post by viper37 - April 18, 2024, 02:27:24 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2024, 01:29:22 PMFHSA only last 15 years tho and then the money gets transferred to a RRSP. It's not a long term investment vehicle.

It's really meant to buy a house, to serve as a down payment instead of taking money out of your RRSP and reimbursing it over 20 years (RAP in French).  It's a better tool, for those who can afford it.

Obviously, the timing must be done well.
Last post by viper37 - April 18, 2024, 02:24:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2024, 11:54:38 AMIf my government-run pension plan goes tits-up I'd be completely screwed.
It your government-run pension goes tits-up, you will have other problems to worry about by then... ;)
Off the Record / Re: The AI dooooooom thread
Last post by celedhring - April 18, 2024, 02:16:12 PM
Just noticed chatGPT can talk too. Predictably, it sounds like a smug asshole.

EDIT: Ah, there's different voices. In Catalan "Juniper" has the most incredibly Barcelona posh accent I can think of. Shit's scary.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - April 18, 2024, 02:04:42 PM
So it looks like Sturgeon's husband has been charged with embezzling SNP party funds. Obvs reporting restrictions and contempt of court rules apply so it's just "a 59 year old man has been charged..." at this point.

Edit: Also I absolutely love that we've had the Angela Rayner story running recently about how she bought her council house, sold it a few years later and may or may not have paid the correct tax (from what I can tell it depends on where her "main residence" was and she was just starting to move in with her partner). She didn't take legal advice at the time on the tax bill.  And you've had Tory MPs basically going "no...but really, it's terrible tax evasion if you look into the details and why isn't she answering any questions". Only for, out of the clear blue sky, an insane story about another Tory MP to drop. The correct capital gains tax Rayner should have paid v a story with the sub heading "Sex, drugs and a drunk dog" :lol:
Off the Record / Re: Property prices thread
Last post by Syt - April 18, 2024, 02:00:41 PM
Even if you think you have problems finding the right home, spare a thought for these poor dog owners. :(

Gaming HQ / Re: Victoria 3
Last post by The Minsky Moment - April 18, 2024, 01:43:42 PM
In a France game, playing 1.06.  The new ledgers and stuff are cool. Pretty stable so far except for one colonial war that spawned with no front.  AI America didn't go after Mexico until the late 1860s but did start a pointless war for Alaska in the late 1850s.  They didn't send an army to the front, but instead fended off some Russian invasions of the east coast until peaceing out. Sardinia made some early moves to unification then chickened ot.

The French choose your own dynasty adventure feature seemed pointless.  The Liberal Revolution however was fun, with lots of unrest, personalities and interest groups to juggle.  Politics generally seems to be working better, with two big party blocs forming, each of which is competitive and alternating in power.  It's the first Vic game I played where the election events seemed to actually matter.

One glitch I noticed - very small POP fragments seem to be stuck at "impoverished" SOL even if their wages are quite high.  The game seems to round down their small fractional consumption to zero.