News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by viper37 - Today at 11:36:13 AM
Zack Snyder Has Plans For at Least 6 'Rebel Moon' Movies

The first one was a success.

Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon Part One quickly became a hit despite mixed reviews, setting the stage for a potential cinematic epic.

I guess at some point, I will have to see that.
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by viper37 - Today at 11:34:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on Today at 10:05:51 AMSo I've actually heard it argued that RRSPs are in some ways not a great investment vehicle.

So any money you put into an RRSP isn't taxed - but is taxed as income.  The RRSP is taxed though when it is withdrawn - again as income.  But if, while in the RRSP, the value of your investments say triples, you'd eventually be paying three times as much tax once you finally withdraw it.  (There's all kinds of calculations about the time value of money and the like, but the basic point stands).

The thing is, for people my age (and Josephus' age), RRSP was all that was available to us when we began saving.  The idea was that you would max out your RRSP, then you would seek out other investment opportunities.

People with a pension fund usually had an equivalency factor, so they had less to invest in a RRSP.

Nowadays, you have TFSA and at least in Quebec, the employer is obligated to offer a collective retirement plan.

So you do have something when you retire, other than your government pension (CPP or RRQ).

For people like you, on top of this, you have your employer's pension fund, probably quite generous since your entire career was as a public servant.

When you retire, you will have a significant taxable income.

As such, maximizing your RRSP now is not the wisest move.

You could still invest a little to drop your tax bracket by a notch, but not too much because it is added to your significant retirement income.  Or for any remaining amount, taxable to your heirs (not your spouse though).

The wisest move is to maximize your TFSA.  And for the younger generation, to mazimize their FHSA along that.

Once that is done, you can invest in RRSP.

If you maximize all of these every year, you should seek a financial planner.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Tamas - Today at 11:25:54 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 07:42:57 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 17, 2024, 05:31:12 PM
He's had the whip removed. And has also been suspended from his role as an "unpaid trade envoy to Colombia"....

Colombia  :lmfao:
Off the Record / Re: The AI dooooooom thread
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 11:13:05 AM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 10:23:45 AMThey're already doing it, so it must make sense.

Presumably using AI prompts to generate 500 "books" on different topics, uploading them, and using botnets to push them to the top of search rankings is something that is relatively easy to automate.

At which point the money from suckers buying any of those "books" (that it costs pennies to generate) is pure profit.
Yeah - and it's similar with online content.

You have an increasing long tail of the internet which is made for advertising sites (often AI generated, and nonsense) but with sellable ad inventory and that attracts clicks. Ad sales are often priced best for the ad slots that have the most personalised/developed profile of the individual at the end and allow the most functionalities (both of which require intrusive tracking). That means that at the minute the industry is spending money on sites with basically no compliance with any privacy laws, that are just created for the purpose of attracting eyes on adverts and just a churn with no permanence.

Admittedly this is possibly the logical end point of online advertising given that it is an industry which is largely based on fraud which is now being accelerated by AI. But it is not good for individuals, not good for publishers of real content and not good for advertisers. And ultimately as long as the things that agencies really prioritise (because it's what advertisers insist on) are targeting and functionalities, it's very difficult to move it in a different direction.

And obvioiusly those sites are being scraped and included in future models - particularly ones reliant on webcrawlers that quality media companies are increasingly blocking because they want to get paid for their content.
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by Barrister - Today at 10:32:48 AM
If I'm not, you know, lawyering, but have to just sit in a courtroom for some reason (say I'm waiting for my case to be called, or I'm just observing) somedays it can be hard to fight nodding off.  It can be pretty boring if you're not directly doing something.
Last post by Syt - Today at 10:31:51 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 04:42:18 AM
Quote from: Syt on Today at 04:37:35 AMWhy is it a money loser?

I assume insufficient sales to cover publishing.

Publishing on Amazon or Smashwords doesn't cost you anything, and if you generate all content yourself, it only costs you time - and with AI generating the content for you, you just need to format it in the ebook format of choice and upload it.
Last post by Barrister - Today at 10:31:07 AM

I believe the books in question are either e-books, or print-on-demand books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_on_demand

So even if you sell a handful of books you're still profiting on each one.
Last post by Jacob - Today at 10:27:09 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 01:58:41 AMI was geeked when I heard about the napping on NPR but there's no video, so didn't happen.

No video is allowed in the court room. Does that mean that nothing happens there?
Last post by Jacob - Today at 10:26:12 AM

This assumption is probably incorrect given the evidence - that such ai generated titles are massively prevalent.
Last post by Barrister - Today at 10:24:39 AM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 01:15:17 AMSo Trump is really burnishing his anti-woke credentials, what with all the napping he is doing in court...

Heh.