News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

How is pedophilia becoming normalized? We seem to be cracking down on abusers more than we have in the past.

Especially odd as tolerance and covering up of child abuse has been such a problem in religious communities.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2023, 10:35:17 AMHow is pedophilia becoming normalized? We seem to be cracking down on abusers more than we have in the past.

Especially odd as tolerance and covering up of child abuse has been such a problem in religious communities.

It isn't becoming normalized.

It's part of the satanic right's current strategy to claim that any exposure to gay or trans acceptance is grooming children for pedophilia.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 12, 2023, 10:54:14 AMIt's part of the satanic right's current strategy to claim that any exposure to gay or trans acceptance is grooming children for pedophilia.

Which makes about as much sense as explaining how babies are made, at an appropriate age level, is going to have your four year old descend into sexual debauchery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2023, 10:58:00 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 12, 2023, 10:54:14 AMIt's part of the satanic right's current strategy to claim that any exposure to gay or trans acceptance is grooming children for pedophilia.

Which makes about as much sense as explaining how babies are made, at an appropriate age level, is going to have your four year old descend into sexual debauchery.

Why do you think it matters to the religious right that their arguments make any sense?

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2023, 10:58:00 AMWhich makes about as much sense as explaining how babies are made, at an appropriate age level, is going to have your four year old descend into sexual debauchery.

Indeed.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2023, 10:35:17 AMHow is pedophilia becoming normalized?
Child beauty contests.  The ones the GOP don't seem to have a problem with.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2023, 10:35:17 AMHow is pedophilia becoming normalized? We seem to be cracking down on abusers more than we have in the past.

To the extent the argument has merit, it's by claiming that by focusing on children's gender identity, and allowing gender transition, it is focusing too much on sexual identity at young ages.

At its worst it's just more paranoia about drag queen story hour.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2023, 02:59:49 PM

To the extent the argument has merit, it's by claiming that by focusing on children's gender identity, and allowing gender transition, it is focusing too much on sexual identity at young ages.

At its worst it's just more paranoia about drag queen story hour.

Your statement "to the extent the argument has any merit" seems to imply you think there is at least some merit if one tries hard enough to try to understand what they are saying. 

I don't see it.  Connect the dots for me.  Even if one reasonably believes there is too much focus on sexual identity at too young an age, how does that lead to normalizing pedophelia?

How does that argument have any merit.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 13, 2023, 06:59:51 AMYour statement "to the extent the argument has any merit" seems to imply you think there is at least some merit
Drop it.  You're making him saying things he doesn't say.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2023, 02:59:49 PMTo the extent the argument has merit, it's by claiming that by focusing on children's gender identity, and allowing gender transition, it is focusing too much on sexual identity at young ages.

Sexual identity? I agree it would be absurd to focus on that prior to puberty.

But gender identity has always been a big part of childhood. We explain about boys and girls and dress up little babies in gender appropriate clothing. I have no issue with this, the baby has like a 97% chance of being cis-gendered. But in my experience trans kids often show they are trans at a very young age. Parents deciding to deal with that by leaning a bit to their kid being trans might not be what everybody would choose but it is a valid choice, and one they are making sincerely as what they think is best for their child, and not one that encourages pedophilia in anyway. At least that I can see.

If trans kids end up being prey for predators in a disproportionate rate that might say more about how we treat trans people than anything else. I don't know if that is true though.

But I am sure there are weird edge cases where some parents did some truly weird shit to their kid regarding their gender and sexuality. But guess what? There are weird edge cases where some parents did some truly weird shit to their kid in hundreds of other fucked up ways. Parents have power over their kids. It isn't a perfect system but it tends to work better than other methods of raising kids we have explored.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2023, 10:17:14 PMSexual identity? I agree it would be absurd to focus on that prior to puberty.

I guess it depends on what you mean by focus, but I don't think it's an absurd topic to discuss in age-appropriate terms.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 13, 2023, 10:28:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2023, 10:17:14 PMSexual identity? I agree it would be absurd to focus on that prior to puberty.

I guess it depends on what you mean by focus, but I don't think it's an absurd topic to discuss in age-appropriate terms.

Well yes of course. Even as a young kid in the 1980s I ran into gays and lesbians and my parents had to explain what the deal was. I don't recall that grooming me for pedophilia.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2023, 10:31:01 PMWell yes of course. Even as a young kid in the 1980s I ran into gays and lesbians and my parents had to explain what the deal was. I don't recall that grooming me for pedophilia.

Well done your parents :cheers:

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2023, 10:03:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 13, 2023, 06:59:51 AMYour statement "to the extent the argument has any merit" seems to imply you think there is at least some merit
Drop it.  You're making him saying things he doesn't say.

I didn't force him to propose how what was said can make some sense.