News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I watched the video, and it mainly argues that Europeans and esp. Germany are woke, and that made them cuddle up to Putin and make themselves dependent on him. Now, I agree that being not hard enough and getting too economically dependent on Russia was a mistake. I don't quite agree that "woke politics" (keeping in mind that we had 16 years of conservative chancellorship in Germany) are to blame. Peterson in his video claims that Trump warned of that. Considering Trump's own track record on Putin I don't think his advise on Russia should be given much consideration.

Actually, considering the entire context of Trump and what he said, didn't say, the ways he contradicted himself and the many times he had obviously no clue what he was talking about (any subject, really), I'd be surprised if there's many serious politicians anywhere who took any advice of his, even if, by the broken clock probability, it may have been correct.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

I don't think there is any rational response to people like Jordan Peterson. It is just rank populism.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

I did not notice that we are in shambles yet. What should I look for?  :huh:

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on September 28, 2022, 11:34:38 AMI did not notice that we are in shambles yet. What should I look for?  :huh:

You need to spend more time on social media connected to the right wing and Russian trolls. Then the signs will be obvious.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 19, 2022, 04:00:47 PMTo personalize this conversation, I am picking up a new EV on Wednesday.  :cool:

My new EV is still on backorder - they tell me it will be 2nd quarter of next year...

Valmy

WTF even is woke politics? Just any person that doesn't declare Donald Trump a god?

I don't recall Donald Trump ever making big statements about Europeans importing natural gas from Russia anyway. Is this one of those things where he thought about it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

A while back I tried to defend Peterson and someone, I think it was Tamas, said that whereas he had started out reasonable he subsequently jumped the shark.  I said whereas I hadn't seen evidence of this myself, I would keep an eye out.

I can now declare that question closed.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2022, 03:16:17 PMA while back I tried to defend Peterson and someone, I think it was Tamas, said that whereas he had started out reasonable he subsequently jumped the shark.  I said whereas I hadn't seen evidence of this myself, I would keep an eye out.

I can now declare that question closed.
It could've been Tamas, but that also sounds like what I would say.  I would also say that he would never earn the acclaim for saying those reasonable things if it weren't for a woke left tendency to suppress debate on certain issues.  When reasonable people don't feel free to express reasonable views, unreasonable people fill the void and can be mistaken for reasonable people for a while.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on September 28, 2022, 04:16:37 PMIt could've been Tamas, but that also sounds like what I would say.  I would also say that he would never earn the acclaim for saying those reasonable things if it weren't for a woke left tendency to suppress debate on certain issues.  When reasonable people don't feel free to express reasonable views, unreasonable people fill the void and can be mistaken for reasonable people for a while.

Is there any current problem you don't attribute to wokeists being mean to reasonable people?

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2022, 04:18:00 PMI think it was Grumbler.

I know it wasn't me. I said mean things about Peterson pretty much from the get-go, because I thought his "reasonable points" were mostly a facade for shittiness.

I am pleased that we now seem to have a fairly broad consensus on his merits.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2022, 04:27:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2022, 04:18:00 PMI think it was Grumbler.

I know it wasn't me. I said mean things about Peterson pretty much from the get-go, because I thought his "reasonable points" were mostly a facade for shittiness.

I am pleased that we now seem to have a fairly broad consensus on his merits.

I really think Jordan Peterson is just someone who was broken by fame.

You can agree or disagree with much of what he said for years, but it was all fairly benign very small-c conservative mindset kind of stuff.  I'm not sure if you consider those kind of views to be "shitty" or not, although I have my guesses.

But yeah, as his fame grew, and he became increasingly under attack, and as his fans more identified as Trumpy and conspiracy-minded, his views kind of changed as well.  And where to even begin with his medically-induced come in Russia of all places to treat a drug dependence.  Or the all-meat diet.

He definitely "jumped the shark" to my mind.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2022, 04:21:54 PMIs there any current problem you don't attribute to wokeists being mean to reasonable people?
Sure.  Most current problems I wouldn't directly attribute to the grassroots authoritarianism of the woke left, although they're a contributing party for a fair share of them.  Right wing authoritarianism wouldn't be as popular as it is in many countries today without left wing authoritarianism breeding a lot of resentment.