News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

If all goes to shit, Disney can still invite a few Justices to the Magic Kingdom. As friends.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2023, 05:06:09 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 26, 2023, 08:24:26 PMFeeling more certain about my prediction that DeSantis will not run.
Agree - I've also heard his voice and the man has no chance.

But does he know it?

I've got my fingers crossed for a fasc on fasc bloodbath with Trump.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

The Republican party is the only party that will protect ALL jobs.
Link
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

That's it!  No more pants for women!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Huh. Who knew transgender employees was such a problem in the Ag Commission?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2023, 11:19:12 AMThat's it!  No more pants for women!

Well that is the other thing. Clothes are not quite as gendered, even in office clothes, as they were even a few decades ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Wait, these are the folks worried about the nanny state?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: PDH on April 27, 2023, 11:49:43 AMWait, these are the folks worried about the nanny state?

As long as the nanny is wearing "biological gender appropriate" clothing I suppose they're okay with it. So no Mrs. Doubtfire, I suppose.

Barrister

There are some interesting and tricky public policy debates to be had over transgender people: youth transitions, sports, female only spaces like prisons or women's shelters...

But the MAGA GOP isn't interested in nuance.  They're going all-in on being anti-trans.

Jacob

Yeah, it's very clear the GOP has gone all in on casting trans-folk the witches in their witch hunt. It is obvious that their MO is to look for targets for hate and go all in on that hate as their political strategy.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2023, 12:44:10 PMYeah, it's very clear the GOP has gone all in on casting trans-folk the witches in their witch hunt. It is obvious that their MO is to look for targets for hate and go all in on that hate as their political strategy.

I've used the witch hunt analogy myself.  It's scary to consider what effect the witch hunts are potentially going to have on the physical safety of trans individuals.  The first trans Mathew Shepherd is probably going to be found dead sooner rather than later.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2023, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2023, 12:44:10 PMYeah, it's very clear the GOP has gone all in on casting trans-folk the witches in their witch hunt. It is obvious that their MO is to look for targets for hate and go all in on that hate as their political strategy.

I've used the witch hunt analogy myself.  It's scary to consider what effect the witch hunts are potentially going to have on the physical safety of trans individuals.  The first trans Mathew Shepherd is probably going to be found dead sooner rather than later.

That will be tragic.   

Countries like Canada will likely welcome them with open arms as asylum claimants.   

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2023, 03:00:49 PM

I think trans activists kind of overplay their hand on this point, but I'm quite positive the first trans Matthew Sheperd happened a long time ago.  Trans people are frequently the targets of unprovoked violence - even more so those in the sex trade.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2023, 03:33:27 PMI think trans activists kind of overplay their hand on this point, but I'm quite positive the first trans Matthew Sheperd happened a long time ago.  Trans people are frequently the targets of unprovoked violence - even more so those in the sex trade.

How are they overplaying their hand on the victims of violence part? I don't see it myself, so I'm curious what I've missed.