News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Certifications

Started by Darth Wagtaros, May 06, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I need to get a bunch of certifications for IT stuff. Also, hopefully, one in project management.

Anybody have certs?
PDH!

Phillip V

US government mandates certs for their IT positions. I want to create a required cert in the future so people pay me $500-$1000 to take an electronic multiple choice exam every year. :)

I claim credit for:

HP ArcSight Enterprise Security Management, DISA Host Based Security System (HBSS) Administration, Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional (MCITP): Server Administration, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA A+, Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) v3 Foundation, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEHv7)

Jaron

I've noticed all the 'PMP' folks I work with like to jokingly sneak an "i" into their title. Go for that.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

fhdz

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 06, 2013, 06:13:24 PM
I need to get a bunch of certifications for IT stuff. Also, hopefully, one in project management.

Anybody have certs?

PMP will take you a long, long while. Check out Project+ instead maybe?
and the horse you rode in on

DontSayBanana

A+ turned into a racket in 2006.  It used to be a lifetime cert, now it's a 3-year recert based on 5-year-old information <_<.  Lot of people seem to just be doing the initial cert and switching up their applications to say when they received the certification; they just don't update the information enough to justify the recert cycle.

Personally, I'm getting ready to do MCSE, Network+, Security+, CCNA and thinking about a bachelor's program to get me on the road to CISSP.
Experience bij!

Caliga

I have the required experience, education, and took the required training for the PMP but keep putting off scheduling the exam due to never having a break in my massive workload.  I got an email last week from the PMI that my application expired. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Phillip V

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 07, 2013, 06:16:24 AM
a bachelor's program to get me on the road to CISSP.
Not sure that is needed. Maybe just read one of the big CISSP books.

Darth Wagtaros

CISSP is audited for real life experience and stuff Shame.  Taking the exam, which is reputed to be a hellish experience, doesn't necessarily = the certification.

I'm taking Sec+ in two weeks. after that I want to get the Net+, SSCP, Project+, and maybe some MS ones. 
PDH!

Eddie Teach

My degree program consists mainly of getting certificates. Got five so far.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 07, 2013, 06:16:24 AM
A+ turned into a racket in 2006.  It used to be a lifetime cert, now it's a 3-year recert based on 5-year-old information <_<.  Lot of people seem to just be doing the initial cert and switching up their applications to say when they received the certification; they just don't update the information enough to justify the recert cycle.
A+ is a joke anyway.  The kinds of jobs you can get with an A+ are usually entry-level, and nobody cares about certs for jobs at that level anyway.  When I was recruiting I never once got a job order that required an A+.  Sometimes it was a "nice to have" but never a requirement.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Phillip V on May 07, 2013, 10:35:28 AM
Not sure that is needed. Maybe just read one of the big CISSP books.

The issue is the work experience needed to get in the door.  I've been looking at an Information Security bachelor's program that ends up taking the exam- you get (ISC)2 Associate of Information Security, which can be converted to CISSP once you've got the work experience.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

How was the Ethical Hacker one? That is oin my list for the short term.  CISSP will wait 6-12 months.
PDH!

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2013, 03:52:14 PM
nobody cares about certs for jobs at that level anyway

You must be thinking of Corporate America 2003, not 2013.
and the horse you rode in on

Zanza

QuoteInformation Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) v3 Foundation
I did that. Seems fairly useless.

Josquius

I studied for the ITIL one but didn't have the money to do it so just did a course in it set by uni. It did seem to be pretty useless stuff.
██████
██████
██████