News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on March 07, 2011, 04:22:17 PM
article today in Vancouver Sun about how a Canucks dad took his family to LA for the weekend. Bellingham flight, hotels and two hockey games (and Disneyland). cost him $400 plus and he's looking forward to doing it all again next year. 1000 'nucks fan made the trip.

he can't get tickets in Vancouver for $400.

lots of Manitobans everywhere. Maybe Chipman can cook up a deal with Westjet and offer "homecoming" packages.

Probably too late in the year for that, but I've heard of a number of fans on their own making pilgrimages down to Phoenix with Jets gear on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2011, 02:09:35 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2011/03/relocation-of-financially-strapped-clubs-only-clear-option.html

The only thing he's missing is the 'additional monies from the MTS Centre'.  It's significant, and the owners now have an interest in quite a bit of land and buildings near the arena.

It also points out the impossibility of Phoenix.  He's wondering about the viability of a franchise earning $70 mil in revenue, but then points out that Phoenix only has $35 mil.

they forgot an important part of the equation: the team in itself does not have to turn a huge profit if it's owned by a media group.  Basically, all they want, is for the team to break even.
The media group will generate content to boost the profits of its own tv channel(s).  In the case of Quebecor, they have a license for a Sport channel, and the Habs are already exclusive for RDS, (french TSN) so they need hockey, because you know as well as I do that a sport channel with no hockey up here ain't gonna be a real network.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

It also points out the impossibility of Phoenix.  He's wondering about the viability of a franchise earning $70 mil in revenue, but then points out that Phoenix only has $35 mil.
They lost 40millions.  35+40=75 million US$ to break even.  That's why he's concerned of the viability of the franchise.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 07, 2011, 04:08:05 PM
Excited my boys in Buffalo are making a push for the playoffs.  I want something other than the awfulness that is sure to be the Royals this year to watch.

Too bad Satan isn't around to stick the knife in again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2011, 05:35:08 PM
They lost 40millions.  35+40=75 million US$ to break even.  That's why he's concerned of the viability of the franchise.

But there ya go - revenues of $70 mil versus expenses of $75 mil is pretty close to working right there.

As the article says, Jets 2.0 will likely require some revenue sharing.  But that's certinly a lot better than shovelling tens of millins of dollars into Phoenix year after year.

Barrister

I've been waiting for some news all day on Glendale's alleged lawsuit.  Finally this:

QuoteShare Updated: March 7, 2011, 5:25 PM ETSources: Glendale suit on holdEmail Print Comments By Scott Burnside
ESPN.com
Archive
The City of Glendale remains poised to file suit against the Goldwater Institute over what it alleges is illegal interference in the attempted sale of municipal bonds critical to keeping the Phoenix Coyotes in Arizona.

However, discussions aimed at getting the bonds sold and a lease agreement finalized with Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer continued Monday and so the city held off on filing the suit, a source told ESPN.com Monday afternoon.

The City of Glendale believes the Goldwater Institute illegally interfered with potential buyers of the municipal bonds and their legal department is prepared to file suit against the institute and individual board members if talks run aground or if the deal falls through. The city has said the loss of the team would cost the municipality more than $500 million in lost jobs, taxes and revenue.

The city needs revenue from the sale of the bonds to pay Hulsizer $100 million which will go towards the purchase price of the team that is currently owned by the National Hockey League.

Goldwater is claiming that the parking rights that the city will receive as part of the lease agreement will not cover the monies provided Hulsizer and therefore represent a "gift" which would make the lease agreement illegal under state law.

Multiple sources have told ESPN.com that the fate of the team in Arizona will be decided one way or another in a matter of days.

The NHL has the right to begin relocation of the team at any time, and if the bond issue drags out much longer without a resolution or the deal falls apart for any other reason, the NHL will move swiftly to announce the team will move to Winnipeg for the start of the 2011-12 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6190901

I like the last line.  There's no 'may consider moving', no "Winnipeg is one of many options' - it's 'if the deal falls apart the team *is* moving to Winnipeg'.

:yeah:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2011, 04:29:06 PM
Probably too late in the year for that, but I've heard of a number of fans on their own making pilgrimages down to Phoenix with Jets gear on.
just look at the Nordiques Nation assaulting Nassau Coliseum, invading Bell Centre, and soon to be in New Jersey.  They pay for their trip&hotels, deals are around 200$ maybe.

Well, looking at it, it's 220$ for the ticket, trip and hotel room (4 per rooms).  I believe however that there's a bit of sponsorship to get at these insanely low prices.  I think it's about time I get a passport. :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2011, 05:40:34 PM
The NHL has the right to begin relocation of the team at any time, and if the bond issue drags out much longer without a resolution or the deal falls apart for any other reason, the NHL will move swiftly to announce the team will move to Winnipeg for the start of the 2011-12 season.

I like the last line.  There's no 'may consider moving', no "Winnipeg is one of many options' - it's 'if the deal falls apart the team *is* moving to Winnipeg'.

Because I like you, if I will extend the deadline for our bet ;)  If the Coyotes play as the Jets in Winnipeg by the start of 2011-2012 season, I'll buy the beer.  Otherwise, you will pay.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2011, 05:45:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2011, 05:40:34 PM

Because I like you, if I will extend the deadline for our bet ;)  If the Coyotes play as the Jets in Winnipeg by the start of 2011-2012 season, I'll buy the beer.  Otherwise, you will pay.

One thing - based on the rumours I've heard, I'm not betting anything about what their name will be.

If that's acceptable to you, you're on.

Jaron

BB your sig is too large. Get rid of it or I'll report you to Ed Anger for signature re-education.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Just for you J, I'll see if I can find a larger one.

:hug:

p.s. Go Jets Go!

Jaron

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jaron on March 07, 2011, 05:55:54 PM
BB your sig is too large. Get rid of it or I'll report you to Ed Anger for signature re-education.

Beeb is on my very short list of people I approve of on languish. Although this Jets shit makes me want to put my Walther PPK in my mouth and pull the trigger.

Jaron

Ed Anger