What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Rep Rashida Tlaib, sole Palestinian American member of Congress, has been censured by the House for a video in which called for an end to the genocide of Palestinians and played footage of a crowd chanting from the river to the sea.  22 Dems vote in favor, 4 Reps vote against.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2023, 02:27:05 PMplayed footage of a crowd chanting from the river to the sea

:x

Still...the censure seems unnecessary. Calling for peace shouldn't be some big outrage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I sure wish Joe wouldn't run again.

It is very frustrating as during the last election it sure felt like the understanding was he only going to serve one term. I feel like any generic Democrat would easily cruise to victory but his age, economic issues, and the fucking Israel-Palestine situation put us in danger of a disastrous defeat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 02:29:09 PM:x

Still...the censure seems unnecessary. Calling for peace shouldn't be some big outrage.

I'm good with it.  She used the g-word.  ;)

I wish some wag would come up with a good gag about from the river to the sea and Mar e Largo.  It's beyond my abilities.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 02:33:16 PMI sure wish Joe wouldn't run again.

It is very frustrating as during the last election it sure felt like the understanding was he only going to serve one term. I feel like any generic Democrat would easily cruise to victory but his age, economic issues, and the fucking Israel-Palestine situation put us in danger of a disastrous defeat.

yup yup yup

I'm still hoping for some kind of March surprise.

garbon

I don't get the age bit given Trump is all of 3 years younger.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2023, 02:45:52 PMI don't get the age bit given Trump is all of 3 years younger.

It's not the age per se, it's the shuffling around and mumbling and mummy face.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 02:33:16 PMI sure wish Joe wouldn't run again.

Isn't the US economy flying?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on November 08, 2023, 02:59:28 PMIsn't the US economy flying?

Much like the period between the economic collapse and Covid: yes and no.

Things are going strong but the benefits are not really getting down to the general public much. Americans of this generation are not really used to even moderate levels of inflation. Lots of grumbling about it being hard to get work and the high prices of groceries.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Although the partisan split they talk about there is not as strong as it was under Trump:

There's lots of good indicators on the US economy - but real wages are falling and I believe basically have been since Biden took office. It feels a little "that's your bloody GDP. Not ours."

I think the IRA is really good for example. But despite the name it's focused on things I think are important and good but, not necessarily going to have much of an impact on people's cost of living especially in the short term which I think probably goes for a lot of Biden's economic policy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

By the way I get a lot of those elections were just on that cycle.

But for, say, the Ohio abortion referendum - was there no thought among activists arranging that to push it back to 2024? Or was there an urgent risk or a fear they'd lose then or was timming set by Republicans in the legislature?

It feels like at a national level it could be helpful for driving turnout/mobilising Democrat voters like the gay marriage referendums in 2004 particularly in key states. Or is that still a plan/happening?
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2023, 03:43:14 PMBy the way I get a lot of those elections were just on that cycle.

But for, say, the Ohio abortion referendum - was there no thought among activists arranging that to push it back to 2024? Or was there an urgent risk or a fear they'd lose then or was timming set by Republicans in the legislature?

It feels like at a national level it could be helpful for driving turnout/mobilising Democrat voters like the gay marriage referendums in 2004 particularly in key states. Or is that still a plan/happening?

I read activists are trying to get it in for other states in 2024 for that reason.

Barrister

A "generic democrat" - sure.

But the thing is there's no such person.  You have to name an actual person.

The question is "would Kamala Harris be better able to beat Donald Trump"?  Or Gretchen Whitmer.  Or Pete Buttigieg?  Or Elizabeth Warren?  Or Gavin Newsom?  Or Bernie Sanders?

Once you have to attach an actual name to the ballot, I'm not so sure any of them would have a better chance against Trump than Biden would.

That being said, I would hope that not too long after re-election that Biden would retire and hand the reigns of to Harris - and I don't really like Kamala Harris.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Yeah I get the talk about Biden, but I think it also needs to be put in the context of the weakness of the Democrat alternatives.

Of course the way you get a break-out star/prove your not a weak candidate is normally by winning a competitive primary so...:hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!