News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 03:59:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2023, 03:38:31 PMIn the wild world of the Youtube algorithm, I ran across a video of someone posting videos of freemen/sovereign citizens interacting with police.  One video then turned into many more showing up as recommended.  Sometimes it's the police body cam, sometimes it's the freeman recording it themselves.

Maybe you have to be in my line of work, but it's quite cathartic to watch these videos of police being very polite and measured while the subject acting completely idiotically.  The best ones of course are where the police ultimately have to get quite physical with the subject, but the ones where the person goes quietly are satisfying as well.

A while back I had to deal with a number of these guys in various forms of litigation - mainly trespass and reaches of regulatory requirements.

I thought they had disappeared or at least diminished in number when word got out that in fact the law of the land does apply to them.

So I have to admit I haven't dealt with any for a long time.  I do remember dealing with a guy in Beaver Creek (Canada's westernmost community!) who was driving around with a homemade license plate.  Thankfully he decided to ignore the court and he just remained silent, which made the proceedings much easier. :)

But given all the conspiracy theories and falsehoods floating around, now spread by social media, I can only assume that such movements are even more prevalent, despite my own personal experiences.  Certainly on this Youtube channel the videos were all quite recent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

In a similar vein I've seen a few YouTube videos of dumb Canadians trying to cite American laws when arguing with cops.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on August 03, 2023, 04:19:44 PMIn a similar vein I've seen a few YouTube videos of dumb Canadians trying to cite American laws when arguing with cops.

The truckers convoy gave us that gift.  BB thinks it unlikely but the source of all of this nonsense is likely traced back to Fox News and clips of that being shown on social media.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 03:59:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2023, 03:38:31 PMIn the wild world of the Youtube algorithm, I ran across a video of someone posting videos of freemen/sovereign citizens interacting with police.  One video then turned into many more showing up as recommended.  Sometimes it's the police body cam, sometimes it's the freeman recording it themselves.

Maybe you have to be in my line of work, but it's quite cathartic to watch these videos of police being very polite and measured while the subject acting completely idiotically.  The best ones of course are where the police ultimately have to get quite physical with the subject, but the ones where the person goes quietly are satisfying as well.

A while back I had to deal with a number of these guys in various forms of litigation - mainly trespass and breaches of regulatory requirements.

I thought they had disappeared or at least diminished in number when word got out that in fact the law of the land does apply to them.
They are increasing in number as the Do Your Own Research crowd search for new ways of making themselves special and unique little snowflakes.
PDH!

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 04:28:10 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 03, 2023, 04:19:44 PMIn a similar vein I've seen a few YouTube videos of dumb Canadians trying to cite American laws when arguing with cops.

The truckers convoy gave us that gift.  BB thinks it unlikely but the source of all of this nonsense is likely traced back to Fox News and clips of that being shown on social media.

Might be in part, I wouldn't be surprised, but I think it's in large part an offshoot of a TikTok/YouTube short fad. Tools go into public annoy people in legal yet aggravating ways until cops show up and they "own" the cop.  Like filming in public until people are uncomfortable enough to call the cops. Not illegal, but not exactly kosher. Laws aren't the same here so doesn't work out exactly as planned (the big one that seems to pop up is showing id in Canada vs the states).
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

I love sovereign citizen clips.  My favorite stock line is "I am NOT under arrest!"  The only problem is the folks posting them talk over the video too much with pointless comments.

The ones in court are good too.

I agree about showing the cops in a good light.  People could argue that shows like Cops cherry pick but AFAICT (someone correct me if I'm wrong) police body cam footage is public domain.  Anyone who wants to make the argument that cops are bullying law breaking dickweeds can curate whatever footage they want.  And I have seen clips titled "Look What These Asshole Cops Did!!!" which usually are nothing burgers.

Body cams are the most revolutionary change in policing in my lifetime.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2023, 05:08:05 PMI agree about showing the cops in a good light.  People could argue that shows like Cops cherry pick but AFAICT (someone correct me if I'm wrong) police body cam footage is public domain.  Anyone who wants to make the argument that cops are bullying law breaking dickweeds can curate whatever footage they want.  And I have seen clips titled "Look What These Asshole Cops Did!!!" which usually are nothing burgers.

Body cams are the most revolutionary change in policing in my lifetime.

I am pretty sure that body camera footage that will be used in trial is not public domain.  Generally, it is released after a while, but my understanding is that it isn't immediately available for fear it would taint witness statements.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Cerr

We've got a recent similar court case with someone claiming to be "king of Ireland"  :lol: https://www.irishcentral.com/news/james-carey-king-of-ireland

viper37

Their WW2 videos are getting demonetized because YT is flagging them as adult content.  Google is getting touchy about the new EU regulations, even though they don't apply to educational content.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

That's not much new, though, is it? Cynical Historian had a bunch of videos a few years back how YouTube would demonetize his (and other historians') content regularly if it factually discussed WW2, holocaust, nazis, etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

This one was posted 6hrs ago, so in their case, it is new.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Yeah, youtubers moaning about youtube and demonisation has been going on a long while.
I sympathise. But fundamentally they have chosen to go freelance and make a living off a hobby. That's always going to be tough.
More respect for guys like this doing interesting content than many others. But still... It's hard to put in words but there's a bit of loss of sympathy in the "why don't I earn good money doing the thing many people do for free"
██████
██████
██████

viper37

It's not so much about earning good money than about covering costs.

I don't think they expect to earn what entertainers and influencers earn.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on September 03, 2023, 04:28:45 PMYeah, youtubers moaning about youtube and demonisation has been going on a long while.
I sympathise. But fundamentally they have chosen to go freelance and make a living off a hobby. That's always going to be tough.
More respect for guys like this doing interesting content than many others. But still... It's hard to put in words but there's a bit of loss of sympathy in the "why don't I earn good money doing the thing many people do for free"

You should probably listen to what they are actually saying before you tell us what you assume that they are saying.  What you assert here is completely off base (surprise!   ...not).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on September 03, 2023, 08:16:03 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 03, 2023, 04:28:45 PMYeah, youtubers moaning about youtube and demonisation has been going on a long while.

You should probably listen to what they are actually saying before you tell us what you assume that they are saying.  What you assert here is completely off base (surprise!   ...not).
And as usual a completely wacky attack by Grumbler.
What are you even talking about here?
I did watch that particular video and I was speaking about youtube in general.
██████
██████
██████