News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2022, 11:25:29 AMThere are many things against the law.  That is a mere truism.  What does that have to do with our discussion here? And, BTW, I know of no jurisdiction where mere speech that is begging is illegal.  A man begging a woman to marry him is breaking the law?  Absurd.

Pretty sure he meant begging for money on the street - panhandling.

Jacob

Two years ago today in Elon Musk is a Douche moments:

viper37

So, SpaceX gives all its employees a fixed number of days per year they can take off, say 5 days.  And now, in all his generosity, Musk has declared (as of 2 years ago) that for Tesla and SpaceX, one of these will now be used for Juneteenth?  So he is giving them what they already have?

Great man.  He should become Canadian, he'd have a future in the Liberal Party. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2022, 11:26:30 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2022, 11:25:29 AMThere are many things against the law.  That is a mere truism.  What does that have to do with our discussion here? And, BTW, I know of no jurisdiction where mere speech that is begging is illegal.  A man begging a woman to marry him is breaking the law?  Absurd.

Pretty sure he meant begging for money on the street - panhandling.

Panhandling isn't speech.  My point is that we should not ban speech because someone has an issue with it - even if it is many people who have an issue with it.  Western societies have been pretty careful to not make mere speech illegal, and I think society writ whole should do the same with "cancelling" speech.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2022, 07:06:04 PMPanhandling isn't speech.  My point is that we should not ban speech because someone has an issue with it - even if it is many people who have an issue with it.  Western societies have been pretty careful to not make mere speech illegal, and I think society writ whole should do the same with "cancelling" speech.

"Spare some change?" isn't speech? My mistake then.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2022, 07:12:49 PM"Spare some change?" isn't speech? My mistake then.

What a strange idea!  Do you really think that it is a mistake to believe that the phrase "spare some change?" isn't speech?  What else could it be?

It also isn't illegal to utter that phrase, so I don't know what point you are attempting to make. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

The Larch

QuoteTesla (TSLA) has lost over $500 million from its Bitcoin investment amid crypto winter

Tesla (TSLA) has lost over $500 million in value from its Bitcoin investment amid what people are now calling a "crypto winter."

Early in 2021, Tesla invested $1.5 billion in Bitcoin.

Shortly after, the automaker started accepting the cryptocurrency as payment on new vehicles.

However, a few days later, Tesla took a step back with crypto by removing the Bitcoin payment option. The company noted concerns over the energy needs of the Bitcoin network:

QuoteTesla has suspended vehicle purchases using Bitcoin. We are concerned about rapidly increasing use of fossil fuels for Bitcoin mining and transactions, especially coal, which has the worst emissions of any fuel.

This is a concern that many Tesla community members shared when Tesla first announced its Bitcoin investment, and many were angered by the fact that the company didn't think about it in the first place.

At the time, Tesla noted that they were not selling their stake in Bitcoin and that they planned to resume taking Bitcoin payments once the network showed a higher mix of renewable energy.

A year after the investment, Tesla's Bitcoin holding increased to $2 billion just a few months ago.

But in the crypto world, a lot can change in just a few months.

Several major cryptocurrencies have seen a major decline in value amid the broader market downturn, and Tesla's Bitcoin investment is now worth $905 million, according to Bitcoin Treasuries, which tracks Bitcoin holdings from companies.

It means that Tesla has lost almost $600 million in value through its Bitcoin investment.

The only good news for Tesla here is that its Bitcoin holding represents only 10% of its cash position and 0.1% of its total market capitalization.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has also personally invested in Bitcoin and he has previously used the "diamond hands" meme, which generally indicates that he plans on holding the investment.

Musk also said that he believes Tesla will resume taking Bitcoin payment as he sees improvements in the energy mix of Bitcoin mining.

More recently, Tesla also directly helped improve renewable energy use in Bitcoin mining with Megapacks at a Bitcoin mine in Texas.

The article is almost a month old, apparently the losses by now amount to 1.2 billion $.

The Minsky Moment

Fortunately for Elon, the Tesla articles of incorporation dispense with the duty of care for corporate officers, as is commonly done for Delaware corporations.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Elon Musk reportedly welcomed twins with top exec just before 2nd child with Grimes born

QuoteElon Musk quietly welcomed twins with Shivon Zilis – one of his top executives – late last year, a new report from Business Insider claims. 

According to court documents obtained by the outlet, the Tesla mogul expanded his family with Neurolink's Zilis in November 2021.

Business Insider reports that Musk, 51, and Zilis, 36, filed a petition to change the twins' names in order to "have their father's last name and contain their mother's last name as part of their middle name." 

The order was reportedly approved by an Austin, Texas, judge in May, though the children's names remain unknown. 
Zilis and a rep for Musk did not immediately respond to Page Six's requests for comment. 

Per Business Insider, the twins were born just weeks before Musk and now-ex Grimes welcomed their second child, a baby girl named Exa Dark Sideræl, via surrogate in December 2021. They also share 2-year-old son X Æ A-Xii.

Musk's kids with Grimes join his five other living children: Griffin, Vivian Jenna, Kai, Saxon, and Damian.

Musk — who is currently dating "Britney Ever After" actress Natasha Bassett — shares his additional kids with ex-wife Justine Wilson. 

After marrying in January 2000, he and the Canadian author welcomed son Nevada Alexander Musk in 2002. Nevada tragically died of sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS, at only 10 weeks.

Musk explained his approach to fatherhood in a 2020 New York Times interview, admitting that he doesn't play a prominent role in his kids' lives when they're young. 

"Right now there's not much I can do. Grimes has a much bigger role than me right now," he said of his then-partner. 
"When the kid gets older, there will be more of a role for me," he elaborated at the time. "I think just doing what I've done with my other kids."

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Is he trying to field a little league team or something?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Reminds me of Monkeybutt (RIP) generating his own team.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2022, 08:24:35 PMIs he trying to field a little league team or something?
Future colonists for his Mars project.

Valmy

I don't understand how there is nothing for him to do until the kids are older. Is this some kind of weird old timey thing where the kids emerge from the nursery to go straight to boarding school or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

I understand Tesla has lost a fair bit of money on its BitCoin gambit so far.