News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2022, 12:09:32 PMSlightly mad videos from Ukraine's defence/meme army thanking Sweden (last week) and the UK (yesterday) - I imagine they'll be working through the list with Canada and the US and Poland etc to come.

Sweden:
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1538169555108896776?s=20&t=wWKXNFf-h95m95ZpWWh_sw

UK:
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1539671779312033793?s=20&t=KezNhah1_co5GcWOHGhB4Q

Those are definitely something!

Ukraine does seem very focused on keeping western public opinion on their side (although not afraid to call out some from time to time).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Yeah - I think they're more than ever needing to try to bolster, not so much support - because I don't think that's wavering in the UK or Sweden - but attention.

For all the talk of Trump as a risk - I still think the bigger one is coming this autumn/winter around fuel and food supplies and costs, plus Western attention dwindling.

Edit: I'm slightly looking forward to seeing what iconic songs from x country they pick for all of these :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

So looking for opinions:

I've had the Ukrainian flag up on my flagpole up in front of our house since late February.

I kind of want to put up the Canadian flag again (in particular for Canada Day), but I don't want to contribute to waning attention being paid to the conflict.

And putting two national flags up on one pole is frowned upon.

Admiral Yi

Alternate days.

Get a small Uke flag for the car.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 23, 2022, 12:39:50 PMTime to pony up for a second pole.

While I like the cut of your jib...

We have a pie-shaped lot on a cul-de-sac.  When you factor in you need to give at least 6' clearance for a second pole (due to the length of the flags themselves) there really isn't room. :(

The Minsky Moment

Replace the flag for Canada day, and for other relevant occasions, then put the Ukranian flag back up after.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2022, 12:42:36 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 23, 2022, 12:39:50 PMTime to pony up for a second pole.

While I like the cut of your jib...

We have a pie-shaped lot on a cul-de-sac.  When you factor in you need to give at least 6' clearance for a second pole (due to the length of the flags themselves) there really isn't room. :(

I've seen movies where the plot revolved around attempts to fit two poles in a really tight space. Go for two poles anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2022, 12:34:13 PMSo looking for opinions:

I've had the Ukrainian flag up on my flagpole up in front of our house since late February.

I kind of want to put up the Canadian flag again (in particular for Canada Day), but I don't want to contribute to waning attention being paid to the conflict.

And putting two national flags up on one pole is frowned upon.

Install a yardarm and fly each flag on its own hoist.

Or, install a gaff, fly the Canadian flag from that, and the Ukrainian flag from the main hoist.

Gaff:

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Maple leap on the Ukranian flag. Voila.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 23, 2022, 12:45:44 PMReplace the flag for Canada day, and for other relevant occasions, then put the Ukranian flag back up after.

+1

Sheilbh

Unconfirmed but apparently Telegram is full of videos of Ukrainian troops saying they're entering occupied Kherson.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2022, 08:12:18 AMUnconfirmed but apparently Telegram is full of videos of Ukrainian troops saying they're entering occupied Kherson.
Interesting, the news is just talking about withdrawing from Sverocantrememberthenameoftheplace-in-Donbass
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on June 24, 2022, 08:32:37 AMInteresting, the news is just talking about withdrawing from Sverocantrememberthenameoftheplace-in-Donbass

I hope so as they are in danger of being cut off.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2022, 08:12:18 AMUnconfirmed but apparently Telegram is full of videos of Ukrainian troops saying they're entering occupied Kherson.

that would be big.

I did hear that the Ukrainians managed to get most of their troops out of the Zolote pocket yesterday. I hope they can do the same for the people stuck in the Severedonetsk area. Though that might not be that easy as all the bridges were destroyed quite a whiles ago