Ship ahoy or How to get to London the difficult way

Started by Threviel, June 12, 2022, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

My training and dieting has gone quite well this week. I've been swimming about 10ish km and I've been digging out for a support wall in the garden. Lots of exercise and lots of calories spent.

At the same time I've been dieting, something I normally would never do, focusing on eating fat and proteins and staying over 1000 calories below my daily spend.

So far I've dropped from 84,6 last Monday to 81.9 today. A velocity of 1-1.5 kg a week which, with 5 weeks remaining, ought to get me to around 78 kg at departure.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Gups

Sounds awesome Threviel. What an experience.

There's tons to do in London, even if you just stick to a 5km of your hotel. For your walk, as well as Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park is huge and right next door to you. St James's Park is lovely and worth a walk through if you are planning on going in the direction of Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey or the Houses of Parliament. You have three major museums on your doorstep - I would explore one or two of them rather than schlepp over to the British Museum.

Depending on how old your kids are, I'd recommend a bike ride (on a Sandandar (or Boris) bike) along the Thames back to your hotel if you are going to Tower of London or anywhere else along the river. All segregared and you get to see quite a few sights.

Threviel

Threviel

I want to bring a thick long pocket book on something maritime/naval from the 18th or 19th century. Any tips on a great history of the East India Company? Or a great book on the Napoleonic wars? Or something else?

Abrey/Maturin and Hornblower are on my shelfs, so I guess non-fiction...

Maladict

Threviel

I was just looking at that one, seems like a great book, but not naval enough for me in this case.

Maladict

N.A.M. Rodger's Command of the Ocean?

Threviel

Some book on the Dutch raid on Medway(IIRC) in 17th century might be nice also, seeing as I'll sail in those waters.

Threviel

Quote from: Maladict on July 03, 2022, 12:39:56 PMN.A.M. Rodger's books on the Royal Navy? You'll want the second one

That's the one that I was after, I'd forgotten all the details :cheers: . Any more ideas?

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on July 03, 2022, 12:40:02 PMSome book on the Dutch raid on Medway(IIRC) in 17th century might be nice also, seeing as I'll sail in those waters.

Come to Amsterdam to see the trophies  :cool:

Maladict

Rodger's book also contains the Medway raid. I've got nothing else, not something I've actually read at least.

Sheilbh

I really enjoyed the Medway raid memes when the Dutch navy were in the Thames to dock earlier this year :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!