Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

This was pretty good
For Warhammer 40K:
PDH!

Syt

Since we do have one or two sci-fi nerds here, I recommend checking out the Templin Institute:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheTemplinInstitute

I thought this would have been posted here already, but turns out it wasn't. It primarily started out making lore summaries of sci-fi factions from various media (games, series, movies) and some of their equipment, but has been branching out into editorial content. If you want a place to quickly brush up on the factions of Twilight Imperium, Star Trek, the Third Reich in Man in the High Castle or the Astra Militarum, it's got you covered. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on May 07, 2022, 05:14:17 AMSince we do have one or two sci-fi nerds here, I recommend checking out the Templin Institute:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheTemplinInstitute

I thought this would have been posted here already, but turns out it wasn't. It primarily started out making lore summaries of sci-fi factions from various media (games, series, movies) and some of their equipment, but has been branching out into editorial content. If you want a place to quickly brush up on the factions of Twilight Imperium, Star Trek, the Third Reich in Man in the High Castle or the Astra Militarum, it's got you covered. :)

They have good stuff indeed!

Darth Wagtaros

Yes, Templin is cool. They did a Stellaris one too.
PDH!

Tamas

Syt

A virtual tour of the Vienna military museum. It's been a while since I went; last time was with Dorsey in 2015 IIRC. :D

(Though by the looks of it, nothing's changed since then.)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2022, 03:17:14 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2022, 07:59:39 PM

Whole series so far is hilarious.  :lol:

Watched the playlist up till Stormveil (haven't met Godrick yet, so don't want to watch it yet), but it's all pretty accurate. Esp. the first part of entering Stormveil. Fuck those birds. :D

I think I linked the channel's Final Fantasy XIV videos at some point. They were also spot on. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Speaking of poking fun at vidya games, I recommend Viva La Dirt League's Epic NPC Man series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSMETuURtTXCzW7Q_ZIy4QzEnyUG8totf

I recommend starting at the top, because most of the clips are hilarious, and surprisingly well acted, but some highlights are:

The have more playlists about other genres/games on their channel (including a pretty good Dark Souls one).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

VLDL has some good stuff indeed. And with their recent kickstarter the quality they're delivering has already gone up markedly.

Barrister

Somehow I wound up watching a video series produced by The Onion back from 2012 called Sex House.  It's a scripted parody of almost every reality show ever.  6 attractive people (well 5 attractive people plus Frank) locked in a house encouraged to have sex all the time.

You might think that parodying reality tv would be like shooting fish in a barrel, but the show just gets darker and darker as it goes on.  It's all played completely straight (in usual The Onion style), and is funny as balls.

You can find it on youtube, and the complete season together only runs for one hour so it's not a huge time commitment.

Favourite line "to call this place 'evil' implies a clarity of purpose that I do not want to attribute to anyone involved".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Okay, so there's a Russian youtube channel (with English subtitles) called 1420.  It does nothing more and nothing less than ask Russians on the street various questions.  It's fascinating because the questions they ask are all vaguely subversive, but nothing that would get them arrested (at least so far).  They all follow the basic logic of the government line, but then take them a step further.

I also find it fascinating because I fucking paid for university doing "man on the street" questions for the local newspaper (not that I did a bad job, but a total nepotism job from my dad).  3x per week, 7x per column, for I dunno 3-5 years.  There's an art to getting people to answer your questions - and that's not while living in a totalitarian system.  I really admire these guys for doing "streeters" in Russia - because you can totally tell how carefully people are choosing their answers.

Just as an example from one week ago - they showed people pictures of the bombed mall in Ukraine and asked them what they thought - was it a fake?  Was it us?  Was it a mistake?  All totally neutral in tone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Earliest film featuring New Orleans, showing the Rex Parade from Mardi Gras, 1898.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65DpZ_0nByE

Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2022, 09:59:40 PMAn oldie but a goodie

Excellent band, seen them multiple times.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Check out The Backrooms videos. Can be pretty creepy.
PDH!