News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2022, 06:45:55 PMIs this even legal? It seems completely fucked up, and if the justification the company gives is right it seems absolutely counter-intuitive.

Perfectly legal and not fucked up.  Collective bargaining agreements often represent the minimum and maximum wage one can receive for a particular job. 

The union negotiates the rates and conditions it believes workers merit with the employer.  Once that agreement is done or in the way of being made, you can't simply renegotiate that at will, even if it's to increase the wages.  Everything has to be negotiated with the union, not the individual workers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2022, 12:18:55 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2022, 06:45:55 PMIs this even legal? It seems completely fucked up, and if the justification the company gives is right it seems absolutely counter-intuitive.

Perfectly legal and not fucked up.  Collective bargaining agreements often represent the minimum and maximum wage one can receive for a particular job. 

The union negotiates the rates and conditions it believes workers merit with the employer.  Once that agreement is done or in the way of being made, you can't simply renegotiate that at will, even if it's to increase the wages.  Everything has to be negotiated with the union, not the individual workers.

In the US, this is not legal.  Employers may not give preferential wages to non-union workers working the same job.  Similarly, unions cannot give preferential contracts to other companies within the same industry (the so-called "Most Favored Nation" clause).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

That's it. I'm not hiring Viper as my labour lawyer.

Admiral Yi

Archbishop of San Francisco says Pelosi cannot receive communion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD00yOBRSDw

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2022, 01:34:46 AMArchbishop of San Francisco says Pelosi cannot receive communion.

Not surprising.  The archbishop is an old-style Catholic that believes that anyone who disagrees with him is evil.  He loves to toss around the word "evil."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Can someone explain what's going on with baby formula in the US? :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Mixture of supply chain, recall due to contamination and a shutdown of the largest plant (because of said contamination). Add to that lobbying that made importing baby formula illegal and you have this issue.

One thing is I didn't realize is how many kids are on formula.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2022, 09:05:03 AMCan someone explain what's going on with baby formula in the US? :huh:

As HVC said, there are a combination of effects (plus hoarding).  One of the ironies is that the investigation at the Abbot facility in Michigan didn't turn up any cause for the formula contamination, so there was no obvious fix.  The FDA and Abbot have had to go to a more generalized approach, which took longer to figure out and get approved.

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, the biggest problem is that one specific facility produces an unreasonably large percentage of the entire American formula supply, so when that facility is shut down due to an FDA investigation into contamination that killed a couple babies...it's going to impact everything. Just another in a long line of stories we've seen since covid hit that show us the way we structured our supply chain to optimize profits and efficiency completely ignored redundancy and any ability to nimbly respond to disruption.

grumbler

Re: baby formula this is a pretty good primer.  The story is full of examples of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on May 19, 2022, 03:58:50 PMThat's it. I'm not hiring Viper as my labour lawyer.
wise decision :sleep:

I'm pretty sure in Quebec, one establishment could be unionized and the other not, and the non union one could have higher wages or better working conditions.

Obviously, that would piss off the union and they would ask for a raise at the next round of negotiations + compensation for the money lost.

But since the goal is to discourage the unionization of stores, the company may not care that much.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

That all makes sense - I assumed it was a supply chain issue but then realised that it didn't seem to be an issue anywhere else in the world, so that makes sense.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2022, 01:34:46 AMArchbishop of San Francisco says Pelosi cannot receive communion.

Worth pointing out there's an American Catholic culture war angle on this, because Americans will export culture war politics into everything :lol:

Cordileone is associated with Cardinal Burke (formerly of Missouri) who is hard-core ultra-conservative and a leader of the resistance to Pope Francis. He's the guy who issued the "dubia" or formal questions about some of Francis' teachings suggesting they're not in line with the church. That wing of Catholicism is particularly strong in the US (which has taken over from France as the home of a very inflexible borderline sedevacantist wing of the church) - it has some links with the former nuncio to the US who has promoted Q Anon, spoke by videolink to a pro-Trump rally and links the deep state to Francis. The fact it exists in the US matters everywhere because American Catholics donate a lot to causes they support - even if in this case they're on the edge of schism basically because their position on American politics matters more to them than their religion. Cordileone isn't that extreme, but that's the wing of the American church he is tied to.

The other end is Cardinal Gregory in DC who is very much more in line with Francis and the direction he's going. He's stated that he will not refuse Biden communion. Though he does, subtly, criticise Biden's position particularly on life. He's totally in line with the global mainstream of the church under Francis but is controversial in the US and under a lot of attack from really hard-right Catholic groups/media which are overwhelmingly based in and funded from the US.
Let's bomb Russia!