News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Finland, Sweden + NATO

Started by Jacob, April 13, 2022, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on May 17, 2022, 07:29:43 AMYes. Oglekville rings a bell for that.
I imagine he and the confederate weeb are off happily living together.

Last I heard Lettow fulfilled his life's ambition getting a japanese wife and living off her family.

Solmyr

Finnish parliament has officially voted to apply for NATO membership, 188 to 8.

Legbiter

The Finnish PM is in Kænugarði.

Probably brought along some extra weapon guarantees although the Finns have been pretty tight-lipped about what they're sending.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Is that their daughter?   :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Finnish PM visiting Bucha.

Threviel

Damn, that's a moment to feel the full weight of her office, to see what could happen to her people if she fucks up.

Impressive woman that, not even 40 and leading her country in a difficult time onto new paths. I envy Finland their leadership at times like this.

Solmyr

Yeah, she's had every possible shitty thing happening while she's been in office. First the pandemic and now this war. And of course right-wing old men trying to topple her government every chance they get.

Sheilbh

Sweden has lifted their ban on selling arms to Turkey.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

Yippiee, we are finally growing up and stepping down from the high horse. :yeah:

Also on Marin  :wub: :

mongers

Can we just have them both in NATO like now.

That way we get to see Putin/Russia throth a lot and before Western military help helps decisively tip the battlefield momentum in Ukraine's favour, which no doubt will cause all sorts of extra throthing about a nuclear apocalypse etc.

I basically want two seperate episodes of Russia going mental, hopefully ramping up Putin's blood pressure to dangerous levels for a much longer time.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

The Swedish government appears determined to get a "no" from NATO. Digging in on Turkish issues.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2022, 11:12:36 AMThe Swedish government appears determined to get a "no" from NATO. Digging in on Turkish issues.

How so? Unwilling to throw Kurds under the bus or pretend Erdogan is not a autocrat?

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on June 07, 2022, 12:13:12 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2022, 11:12:36 AMThe Swedish government appears determined to get a "no" from NATO. Digging in on Turkish issues.

How so? Unwilling to throw Kurds under the bus or pretend Erdogan is not a autocrat?

To defeat a vote of no confidence against a minister they made a deal with an MP from Kurdistan that includes various matters of support for Kurdish movements etc.

It remains unclear why the opposition wanted to sabotage the NATO application. Maybe time will tell.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2022, 12:30:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 07, 2022, 12:13:12 PM

To defeat a vote of no confidence against a minister they made a deal with an MP from Kurdistan that includes various matters of support for Kurdish movements etc.

It remains unclear why the opposition wanted to sabotage the NATO application. Maybe time will tell.

So if I understand your perspective correctly:

The opposition decided to try to bring the justice minister down (which essentially would bring the government down). To survive, the government needed to rely on independent MP Ms. Kakabaveh, whom the Turkish government wants extradited for her time in an Iranian based Kurdish militia.

If the opposition had not pressed for a confidence vote, the government would've had more room to maneouvre re: Ms. Kakabaveh and the whole thing would've been lower profile. Thus, the opposition's actions jeopardizes Swedish NATO application because it seems designed to rile up Turkey as much as possible.

Is that correct?

Though in theory, if the opposition had triggered an election they could - in theory - have campaigned on more pro-Turkish, anti-Kurdish notes and if they won could've sweetened Erdogan sufficiently.