News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on May 13, 2022, 10:42:02 AMDS9 is still best Star Trek. Discuss.

Not even close.  The competition with Babylon 5 was good for DS9, and the reverse.  The two best SF shows ever were just two different looks at the same problems.

Having said that, there were a few TNG episodes, like The Inner Light, that were better than any DS9 episode.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Uhm... guess he's never actually watched Star Trek.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

:lol:

It seems to be a thing with every new star trek series.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

It's funny, though, that the OpEd is by David Marcus. Which is the name of Kirk's son, shanked by Emmett Brown in Star Trek III. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, I wonder if Kirk was pissed when he took over the Enterprise after a refit and found the quarters weren't nowhere near what Pike had. :P

Huge living area, with open kitchen, bar, and bbq.

Real fireplace, and bedroom etc. in a separate room.

Compare with Kirk's abode:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

I like Strange New Worlds. Easily better than Picard or Discovery.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tamas on May 16, 2022, 02:34:42 PMI like Strange New Worlds. Easily better than Picard or Discovery.

This. +1. Amen.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

And obviously the one good modern Star Trek show is not available in Spain.

I'm up to episode 4 in Picard. The show started strong but it's kinda losing my interest - maybe because the "travel to the past" trope I've seen it done several times in Trek, and better.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 17, 2022, 02:58:19 AMAnd obviously the one good modern Star Trek show is not available in Spain.

I'm up to episode 4 in Picard. The show started strong but it's kinda losing my interest - maybe because the "travel to the past" trope I've seen it done several times in Trek, and better.
I didn't disliked it at first.  Maybe because it was the best modern trek show at that point. :D
Now, Strange New World, they manage to make an hour worth of observing a comet very interesting! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Also I found in the most recent SNW, that they seemed to borrow a plot line right from a recent Discovery episode, where they come across an alien being that can only communicate through some pattern (music, math, lights), and of course they have someone onboard who can easily figure that out.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

That's a pretty common trope, though. I found the open questions at the end more intriguing. Was there a sentience working in/through the comet? Would everything have been fine, no matter what?
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I'd rate this week's episode as "fine."

Generally glad the show takes time to give people other than Pike and Spock a spot in the limelight. Spoilers:

However, characters having secrets they keep from others - sure. But two in one episode ... bit much? Also, the main plot with the disease was a bit ... dunno, we've seen this plot plenty before, and it didn't really add much new to it (virus traveling on lightwaves or photons? err ... but I guess it fits in well with some of the sometimes dodgy science of, well, all eras and shows of Trek). And the resolution also felt lucky more than earned. I did like the irony, though, of Pike/Spock, who are made out to be in danger, actually being the ones being the safest the whole time.

Side note: Federation is totally against genetic modifications. Ok, fair enough. But we have Bashir, and now Number One who are both genetically modified and serving (granted, for Bashir it was a close call, and for #1 it's not "official" with her bosses yet, but still). Does La'an count as genetically modified? I understand that she's descended from augmented humans, but I'm not sure I caught whether she herself is augmented? Also, I assume if your ancestors were augmented, but you had no modifications - I assume that's fine, since she's serving in Starfleet under a VERY prominent name?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: HVC on May 15, 2022, 12:05:32 AMUhm... guess he's never actually watched Star Trek.

Related, this popped up in my Twitter feed today. Trek, promoting transgender acceptance before it was cool. :P :D

Jessie Gender on YouTube went over the OpeEd piece, an she pointed out quite rightly that certain conservatives like to pretend that Star Trek always showcased values that everyone would agree on, as kind of centrist, when it really wasn't originally. TOS aired when the civil rights movement was at its peak and had episodes like Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, Private Little War (a Vietnam allegory), and of course the Kirk/Uhura kiss.

The article takes especial umbrage with using footage of Jan 6th in Pike's speech about the descent into WW3, and that Stacey Abrams showed up in the Disco S4 finale as President of Earth, and that Trek now clearly endorses one political party, and that people don't want those real world references in their sci-fi escapism.
—Stephen Jay Gould