News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 13, 2022, 04:17:34 PMYes - and Chinese and overseas gambling companies in general have been huge sponsors in English football recently, which raises a whole set of other moral/ethical issues.

It's also quite shady since a lot of these Asian gambling companies have extremely little public information available about them. Investigations were made and some of them only had a very plain website, even if they were sponsoring Premier League teams.

Sheilbh

Yeah - Guardian Football Weekly podcast have talked about it a lot and I think Philippe Auclair has done a lot of reporting on it. It is entirely shady.

Of course most Premier League teams also did something on crypto and NFT, two are owned by autocratic states, one is being sold from a sanctioned person etc - so par for the course <_< :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Sunderland is in the league one play off final.

Will Sunderland finally get out of this blasted division and the lowest point in their history?
Or will the curse of Wembley, thought broken last year during the birth of my son, be back with a vengeance?

Having another kid on that day seems impossible now. Maybe the key is I don't watch? Or should I go sit on the floor in the hospital and keep track on my phone? I have to repeat the pizza trophy success.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Good luck. At least it isn't against my lot.

Sheilbh

Blackpool footballer comes out:
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12614531/jake-daniels-blackpool-forward-becomes-uks-first-active-male-professional-footballer-to-come-out-publicly-as-gay

First openly gay professional player in the English game since Justin Fashanu.

Edit: Bloody hell he's only seventeen and just had some first team appearances - so incredibly brave. But maybe it will be a generational thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Find it telling that here in Spain we have already had several women players come out as gay, but no men yet.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on May 16, 2022, 11:31:24 AMFind it telling that here in Spain we have already had several women players come out as gay, but no men yet.
Basically same here - I think we've even had girlfriends in the same team in women's football. But no gay male professional footballers at all - though a couple, like Thomas Hitzlsperger, came out after retirement.

Obviously there was Fashanu and his treatment by managers, the papers, his own brother was disgraceful.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 16, 2022, 11:31:24 AMFind it telling that here in Spain we have already had several women players come out as gay, but no men yet.

Women's footie globally is miles ahead in LGBTQ tolerance compared to men. I mean there are tons of out lesbian players in the women's game, to the point of almost over-representation.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2022, 11:39:18 AMBasically same here - I think we've even had girlfriends in the same team in women's football.

Yup, Chelsea's Pernille Harder and Magdalena Eriksson.

Zoupa

Arsenal  :lol:

I wonder what excuse Arteta will go for this time.  :P

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on May 16, 2022, 03:55:04 PMArsenal  :lol:

I'm allowing myself to be optimistic that Spurs can secure at least a tie against Norwich City in the last match of the season.

And obviously decent folk all hope for an Everton victory in their last match as well....

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2022, 04:09:09 PM

I'm allowing myself to be optimistic that Spurs can secure at least a tie against Norwich City in the last match of the season.

And obviously decent folk all hope for an Everton victory in their last match as well....

:O Did I miss the part where Jake became a Spurs fan?

I choose to believe it was my unbiased admiration for them that swayed you.  :sleep:

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on May 16, 2022, 06:01:03 PM:O Did I miss the part where Jake became a Spurs fan?

I choose to believe it was my unbiased admiration for them that swayed you.  :sleep:

I've been a casual Spurs fan since the 80s, for the same reasons Norgy is a Notts. Forest supporter. English football was regularly broadcast on Danish sports TV when I was a lad, so everyone picked a team and Spurs were mine - primarily because I liked Ricardo Villa.

That said, I've never been hard core... but insofar as I have a team in the English league, they're mine.

I also used to fancy Man. City back then, when they were a 4th division side. They were my favourite team to take from nothing to glory in Football Manager, largely on the strength of the light blue jerseys. It was, of course, particularly pleasant to beat Man. Utd. with them back then.I don't want anything to do with them now, though.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2022, 04:09:09 PM

I don't even think Spurs could Spurs up their last game against an already relegated Norwich. 4th is done and dusted!

Arsenal are clearly physically tired. They're the youngest team in the league led by the youngest manager in the league.  These last 8 or 9 games bear that out. Not having any incoming reinforcements led to this result. Unfortunate but the league is a marathon and if you're betting on a bunch of Under-23s to carry you, even if they're absolute class, this is the risk you take.

I'm still pretty happy with the season, though. I mentioned earlier but if you had asked me at beginning of the season that Arsenal were still in the running for 4th this late in the season I would have laughed.

Next season, after the summer transfer window, 4th will be the benchmark for success for this young team. Hopefully they'll be able to climb that bump in the road this time.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Big news this week is the first gay player in 30 years coming out. Young Blackpool guy.

Bodes well for the future I think. Already saw signs of this with the current England squad. The super macho youth football of the past which would have worked to filter out any gay players seems to have been firmly put to rest.
I wouldn't be surprised if we get a near representative number of gay players in the not too distant future.
██████
██████
██████