News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Xi has always seemed to me to be reaching for things that the CCP's post-Mao leadership has instinctively avoided: supreme power vested in one man who cannot be held accountable because he makes himself president-for-life; an aggressive foreign policy that seeks to overturn the current world order that has brought China so much prosperity (maybe giving China hegemonic power, but maybe just breaking everything that allows China to succeed); spending money on arms rather than infrastructure; and a cult of personality.

I don't think that the "contented China" of Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao is still in the cards, as the Chinese populace has gotten used to a foreign policy of belligerent arrogance and assertiveness, but I think that it can go back to being a country whose actions (not words) support a world order that doesn't let China claim to be top dog, but does allow China to prosper.

China is today's Imperial Germany and Xi is today's Kaiser Wilhelm II.  The world can successfully deal either of those, but not both together.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2022, 04:26:46 PMXi has always seemed to me to be reaching for things that the CCP's post-Mao leadership has instinctively avoided: supreme power vested in one man who cannot be held accountable because he makes himself president-for-life; an aggressive foreign policy that seeks to overturn the current world order that has brought China so much prosperity (maybe giving China hegemonic power, but maybe just breaking everything that allows China to succeed); spending money on arms rather than infrastructure; and a cult of personality.

I don't think that the "contented China" of Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao is still in the cards, as the Chinese populace has gotten used to a foreign policy of belligerent arrogance and assertiveness, but I think that it can go back to being a country whose actions (not words) support a world order that doesn't let China claim to be top dog, but does allow China to prosper.

China is today's Imperial Germany and Xi is today's Kaiser Wilhelm II.  The world can successfully deal either of those, but not both together.

Doesn't help when they're going through their pop cultural equivalent of the over-the-top, jingoistic Reagan-era action themes of the 1980s with their "Wolf Warrior" foreign policy.  "Rambo with Chinese characteristics."  Ugh.

Jacob

Some recent Chinese economy stats:

QuoteApril data out of China as cities locked down to maintain Covid Zero. All figures are yoy:

Retail sales -11.1%
Industrial output -2.9%
Manufacturing output -4.6%
Electricity output -4.3%
Crude steel output -5.2%
Apparent oil demand -6.7%
YTD home sales -32%

The urban jobless rate rose to 6.1% as well, which is high for China I believe.

The numbers are from Bloomberg (I think - don't have a subscription).

It would suck for the Chinese economy if the housing bubble burst - though maybe it'll encourage the tang ping to re-engage in the economy as they might be able to afford places to live.

A high urban jobless rate probably isn't that good for regime stability either.

Anyways, things aren't looking super hot in China right now and, whatever the structural weaknesses may be there and whatever has happened internationally the Covid Zero lockdowns are having a massive impact.

Jacob

The Chinese gov't has completely lost the plot.

Here they are taking strong action to contain Covid in Beijing... spraying who knows what all over the city en masse: https://twitter.com/fangshimin/status/1526324712267083776?t=sbdtVkBVfDcTE2u3rXgsHA&s=19

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2022, 11:07:33 PMThe Chinese gov't has completely lost the plot.

Here they are taking strong action to contain Covid in Beijing... spraying who knows what all over the city en masse: https://twitter.com/fangshimin/status/1526324712267083776?t=sbdtVkBVfDcTE2u3rXgsHA&s=19 

It's not unusual for the Chinese government to do something for the sake of being seen doing something.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on May 17, 2022, 05:58:52 AMIt's not unusual for the Chinese government to do something for the sake of being seen doing something.

Very very true.

Josquius

I thought the Chinese housing bubble had already burst not too long ago?

Isn't that what the evergrande thing was about?
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on May 17, 2022, 04:43:48 PMI thought the Chinese housing bubble had already burst not too long ago?

Isn't that what the evergrande thing was about?

It didn't lead to a massive drop in property prices, so I don't think it counts as burst.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2022, 11:07:33 PMThe Chinese gov't has completely lost the plot.

Well, at least the people of China can lick the streets without fear of getting Covid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

The number of cars sold in Shanghai in April 2022: 0

That's significantly below normal for a city of 26 million.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2022, 11:35:59 PMThe number of cars sold in Shanghai in April 2022: 0

That's significantly below normal for a city of 26 million.

Only the Chinese could pull that kind of stat off.

Oh, China...

You're capable of such beautiful dreams and such horrible nightmares.

Sheilbh

Interesting video - obviously with a German focus - from DW on research and academic links between European universities and China's defence research:
https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1527246861794299904?s=20&t=NOhbR1lSIwVeb3HLrDoX1Q

I'm sure there'll be more reporting forthcoming on this as it looks like the start of a project.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

There have been hints of this since Biden took office, but the US has now definitively dropped the strategic ambiguity policy over Taiwan, and made a clear statement that the US will help defend Taiwan against an attack by the PRC.  Yet another consequence of the Ukraine affair.

The PRC foreign ministry response was interesting - it focused directly on the concern of encouraging and fomenting independence and raised the One China policy and the joint communiques as a governing statement of policy that should control.  So although harsh in tone for a diplomatic communication, the message is clear that at least at present, the PRC intends to stand by the traditional policy and not seek resolution by force, provided Taiwan does not seek a declaration of indepedence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/23/politics/biden-taiwan-china-japan-intl-hnk/index.html

Is this a considered change in tone, or just Biden saying out loud (again) something everyone knew to be true but for diplomatic reasons has always been careful to not say out loud?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on May 23, 2022, 10:28:18 AMhttps://www.cnn.com/2022/05/23/politics/biden-taiwan-china-japan-intl-hnk/index.html

Is this a considered change in tone, or just Biden saying out loud (again) something everyone knew to be true but for diplomatic reasons has always been careful to not say out loud?

I dunno, but I'll take it.