News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Yeah, my assumption is that a coup against Putin is going to come from the right not the left. And whoever loses Crimea is going to get couped, whether it's Putin or someone who pushed him out.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2022, 07:53:15 PMYeah, my assumption is that a coup against Putin is going to come from the right not the left. And whoever loses Crimea is going to get couped, whether it's Putin or someone who pushed him out.

The only thing I can see happening from a coup perspective is if he chooses to use tactical nuclear weapons. They can always play the Little Green Men game later down the road, and they can recover from sanctions easing after an embarrassing loss.  The only thing that would truly rattle them to the point of no return is the possibility of nuclear escalation.

Razgovory

I'm not sure a coup is a positive development.  The last thing we want is a potential civil war in Russia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2022, 09:59:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2022, 08:46:16 PMIntense footage from a Ukrainian foxhole: https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1525556432959070208
Ukrainian really sounds like Russian.

Apparently they are speaking Russian (but wearing Ukranian uniforms).

DGuller

At least 80% of the combat footage I've seen from the Ukrainian side featured Ukrainians speaking Russian.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

It's only going to get more embarrassing from here on out. The Russians should just give up.

https://www.mil.gov.ua/en/news/2022/05/13/address-by-minister-of-defense-of-ukraine-oleksii-reznikov/
QuoteIn the end, the processes that will ensure the increase of Ukraine's defense potential have been launched. This applies to both procurement and production of defense items. We are focusing on the need to provide for 1 million people who will be facing the enemy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

The Russian internal propaganda may be getting a bit thin in places...

QuoteThe Ukrainian destruction of significant elements of a Russian motorized rifle brigade that tried to cross a pontoon bridge over the Siverskyi Donets River on May 11 has shocked prominent Russian milbloggers. Those bloggers have begun commenting on the incompetence of the Russian military to their hundreds of thousands of followers.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-14

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2022, 08:34:47 PMI'm not sure a coup is a positive development.  The last thing we want is a potential civil war in Russia.

Says you.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2022, 09:59:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2022, 08:46:16 PMIntense footage from a Ukrainian foxhole: https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1525556432959070208
Ukrainian really sounds like Russian.

I'm like a 1.5/10 in my Ukrainian - I can pick out a few words here and there, but don't understand it, certainly don't speak it.  But from my perspective...

Ukrainian does sound like Russian.  They're closely related.  Ukrainian sounds a little bit - softer?

But a lot of the pro-ukrainian videos I've seen I'm pretty sure are speaking Russian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Based on the new, PC pronounciations of Ukrainian cities, I'm thinking Ukrainian is just Russian with a lot more "i" sounds in it.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2022, 11:39:55 AMThe Russian internal propaganda may be getting a bit thin in places...

QuoteThe Ukrainian destruction of significant elements of a Russian motorized rifle brigade that tried to cross a pontoon bridge over the Siverskyi Donets River on May 11 has shocked prominent Russian milbloggers. Those bloggers have begun commenting on the incompetence of the Russian military to their hundreds of thousands of followers.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-14
It was bad
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1525935903742500864
QuoteOSINTtechnical (@Osinttechnical)
NYT- "...estimates based on publicly available evidence now suggesting that well over 400 Russian soldiers were killed or wounded while trying to cross the Donets River"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

The Ukrainians seem to junk an entire Russian BTG's worth of vehicles per day and have for a month at least.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.