News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 13, 2022, 04:11:59 PMFor those reasons, even the purported champion of the doctrine in the Supreme Court, Justice Scalia, described himself as faint-hearted in his commitment, and openly made pragmatic deviations.

AKA, making things up as we go along.

The Minsky Moment

I was heartened to see today that Marjorie Taylor Green responded to the Texas school shooting by sharing some very sensitive and personal information about herself: "Our nation needs to take a serious look at the state of mental health today. Sometimes meds can be the problem."  In this fevered political environment, it takes courage to admit vulnerability.

Although Marjorie still merits a few years in the federal pen for her treasonous support of an insurrection to overthrow the government, I want to her to know that I sympathize with her struggle and will join in the fight to ensure that the federal prison system provides appropriate support for her mental health conditions and those of her fellow inmates.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

MTG would also9 argue that, if you put reasonable controls on the access of insane people to firearms, they'd just go on elementary school mass skull-bashing-with-iron-skillets rampages.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 25, 2022, 08:43:54 AMI was heartened to see today that Marjorie Taylor Green responded to the Texas school shooting by sharing some very sensitive and personal information about herself: "Our nation needs to take a serious look at the state of mental health today. Sometimes meds can be the problem."  In this fevered political environment, it takes courage to admit vulnerability.

Although Marjorie still merits a few years in the federal pen for her treasonous support of an insurrection to overthrow the government, I want to her to know that I sympathize with her struggle and will join in the fight to ensure that the federal prison system provides appropriate support for her mental health conditions and those of her fellow inmates.

Representative Greene was caught on video the other day warning people about meat grown in "peach tree dishes".

That's right up there with "Gazpacho Police" for comedy gold from Georgia's most famous congressperson.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

The whole online discourse around the case has been extraordinary. I've never seen anything like it about a court case. It's basically been an open sewer - so of course House Republicans decide to dive in.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2022, 04:18:05 PMIt's basically been an open sewer

Much like Depp's bed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2022, 04:54:03 PMRep Louie Gohmert on Navarro indictment: "If you're a Republican, you can't even lie to Congress or lie to an FBI agent or they're coming after you"

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1532776813692342272?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1532776813692342272%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rollingstone.com%2Fpolitics%2Fpolitics-news%2Flouie-gohmert-republicans-lie-fbi-congress-1362752%2F

God, he's stupid.

He's just pointing out the existence of the Vast Evil Conspiracy Against Republicans being orchestrated by the supervillains.  It is his resistance to the supervillains that makes him a superhero.

Lying under oath is a necessary, nay, even courageous, step in fighting the VECAR.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Ohio House Republicans vote to put Canada on a federal watch list...

QuoteThe Ohio House passed a resolution (House Resolution 194) late Wednesday night that urges the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom to add Canada to a religious freedom watch list.
Republican Rep. Tim Ginter (R-Salem) backed the resolution for the way Canada handled lockdowns of churches and actions it took against religious leaders during the pandemic.
"This resolution is not the result of a singular incident or even a handful of incidents. It's a persistent pattern of religious rights violations that has driven us to this point," Ginter said.
Rep Reggie Stoltzfus (R-Paris Township) said religious leaders who violated COVID protocols in Canada were jailed. And he says that's not a behavior Ohio should condone. He said this resolution would send a strong message to Canada.
"While Ohio has stood up for religious freedom and protected the right to attend religious services, it is clear Canada has not done the same," Stoltzfus said.
Stoltzfus said this behavior is "very similar to what we see in Communist-controlled China."
But Democrats said it was unnecessary and even out of line for the Ohio Legislature to pass this resolution. Rep. Latyna Humphrey (D-Columbus) said questions about religious freedom are important. But she said Canada, not the state of Ohio, should be addressing those issues.
"We should be addressing the issues that our constituents are asking for such as stricter gun policies, legislation to protect women's rights and reforming our rigged criminal justice system. At this point in time, we are focusing on issues that are not even within our jurisdiction," Humphrey said.
Rep. Daniel Troy (D-Willowick) said Ohio has no business trying to tell Canada how to run its country.
"Before we start the War of 1812 here again with our Canadian neighbors (laughter in chamber), I just want to remind everybody that they've been a strong and loyal N.A.T.O. member. They are one of our strongest allies."
Canada is also a strong trading partner with Ohio. Canada is the top destination for Ohio businesses that export, taking in about 40 percent of all of Ohio's exports. More than $20 billion worth of Ohio goods and services are exported to Canada each year.
The resolution passed along party lines with Republicans voting for it, Democrats voting against it.
Copyright 2022 The Statehouse News Bureau. To see more, visit The Statehouse News Bureau.

Ah.  Canada.  Such an intolerant country to religious zealots of every kind :lmfao:

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 05, 2022, 09:47:41 PMOhio House Republicans vote to put Canada on a federal watch list...

QuoteThe Ohio House passed a resolution (House Resolution 194) late Wednesday night that urges the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom to add Canada to a religious freedom watch list.
Republican Rep. Tim Ginter (R-Salem) backed the resolution for the way Canada handled lockdowns of churches and actions it took against religious leaders during the pandemic.
"This resolution is not the result of a singular incident or even a handful of incidents. It's a persistent pattern of religious rights violations that has driven us to this point," Ginter said.
Rep Reggie Stoltzfus (R-Paris Township) said religious leaders who violated COVID protocols in Canada were jailed. And he says that's not a behavior Ohio should condone. He said this resolution would send a strong message to Canada.
"While Ohio has stood up for religious freedom and protected the right to attend religious services, it is clear Canada has not done the same," Stoltzfus said.
Stoltzfus said this behavior is "very similar to what we see in Communist-controlled China."
But Democrats said it was unnecessary and even out of line for the Ohio Legislature to pass this resolution. Rep. Latyna Humphrey (D-Columbus) said questions about religious freedom are important. But she said Canada, not the state of Ohio, should be addressing those issues.
"We should be addressing the issues that our constituents are asking for such as stricter gun policies, legislation to protect women's rights and reforming our rigged criminal justice system. At this point in time, we are focusing on issues that are not even within our jurisdiction," Humphrey said.
Rep. Daniel Troy (D-Willowick) said Ohio has no business trying to tell Canada how to run its country.
"Before we start the War of 1812 here again with our Canadian neighbors (laughter in chamber), I just want to remind everybody that they've been a strong and loyal N.A.T.O. member. They are one of our strongest allies."
Canada is also a strong trading partner with Ohio. Canada is the top destination for Ohio businesses that export, taking in about 40 percent of all of Ohio's exports. More than $20 billion worth of Ohio goods and services are exported to Canada each year.
The resolution passed along party lines with Republicans voting for it, Democrats voting against it.
Copyright 2022 The Statehouse News Bureau. To see more, visit The Statehouse News Bureau.

Ah.  Canada.  Such an intolerant country to religious zealots of every kind :lmfao:

Well, he has a point in that the resolution does send strong message.  Just not the one he thinks.

The Larch

Ohio also recently approved some wildly deranged anti-trans regulations for female youth sports. I thought it was a purple-ish state, not one of the crazy ones.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2022, 10:20:24 AMOhio also recently approved some wildly deranged anti-trans regulations for female youth sports. I thought it was a purple-ish state, not one of the crazy ones.

It's been swinging fairly red recently.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.