News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2022, 04:37:45 PMWow, they really got an IR sensor at 7.7u in space.
It really is something, if you think about it. :unsure:

Grey Fox

I am assuming it means well size.

A pyroelectric system with well size that small is extremely high tech. Usually NASA uses older vision system in permanent space objects.

You are catching a glimpse behind the curtain of what I do for a living.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2022, 07:16:19 PMI am assuming it means well size.

A pyroelectric system with well size that small is extremely high tech. Usually NASA uses older vision system in permanent space objects.

So you basically saying "magic"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on May 09, 2022, 10:52:52 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2022, 07:16:19 PMI am assuming it means well size.

Quote from: PDH on May 09, 2022, 10:52:52 PM

I took this to mean that he is paid for being very small and deduced that he is in fact part of a freak show.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2022, 08:50:21 AMThe Austrian federal minister for digitalization, Dr Margarete Schramböck, presents here ministry's "Digital Action Plan":

:lol: :bleeding:

Well, she resigned. Yesterday the agricultural minister announced her expected but sudden resignation. Schramböck followed in the afternoon. Neither were really giving any reasons why, but analysts say they were closely tied to Kurz, and generally lacked support within the party after his resignation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Haven't looked at Johnny Depp's trial.  Not my thing.  I haven't read the news either.  But I keep seeing videos mocking Amber Heard on Reddit, Facebook, Tik Tok and Twitter.  I believe Depp has already won, no matter the final verdict.  I did like the one where Heard appears to be snorting a line of coke in the tribunal.   :wacko:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 10, 2022, 11:49:50 AMHaven't looked at Johnny Depp's trial.  Not my thing.  I haven't read the news either.  But I keep saying videos mocking Amber Heard on Reddit, Facebook, Tik Tok and Twitter.  I believe Depp has already won, no matter the final verdict.  I did like the one where Heard appears to be snorting a line of coke in the tribunal.   :wacko:

I've followed it just slightly.

But yes Johnny Depp fans seem to be far more numerous than Amber Heard fans on social media.  Has #MeToo's time passed?

But I refuse to believe that Depp has "won".  First of all it's still an actual trial, so there will be an actual winner and loser.  Given all the bad stuff about Johnny Depp we now know I can't see how Depp will get any meaningful work in Hollywood ever again.

I mean sure, he could probably go on the 21st century version of Hollywood Squares or something, but his days as a leading man are OVER.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on May 10, 2022, 11:49:50 AMHaven't looked at Johnny Depp's trial.  Not my thing.  I haven't read the news either.  But I keep saying videos mocking Amber Heard on Reddit, Facebook, Tik Tok and Twitter.  I believe Depp has already won, no matter the final verdict.  I did like the one where Heard appears to be snorting a line of coke in the tribunal.   :wacko:

It's sad as from what little I've seen it does appear Depp was in the right and she really messed with him.

But some pretty disgusting MRA types are jumping on this to push their own crap about how women always lie about being assaulted etc...
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 10, 2022, 11:55:40 AMIt's sad as from what little I've seen it does appear Depp was in the right and she really messed with him.

I think it pretty clear that Heard may have been violent as well, but if you're saying "Depp was in the right" you haven't been paying attention.  Depp was also violent against Heard (as well as abusing copious drugs and alcohol throughout).

The Larch

From the very little I've seen about the trial, both of them look like terrible people, regardless on who ends up winning the legal process. I have the impression that it's more of a massive PR operation than a true legal procedure.

Grey Fox

I disagree with BB on one thing here. No matter the results of the trial Depp's career is back on track.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

At the risk of asking an actual legal question...

So Depp sued Heard for defamation based on the article she wrote saying she was a survivor of domestic abuse.  OK, fine.

Heard then counter-sued Depp.  Again, fine.

But this trial is for the claim of Depp against Heard.  Apparently the Heard against Depp counterclaim is going to be heard later.  WTF?  Why wouldn't they be heard at the same time?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2022, 12:15:09 PMABut this trial is for the claim of Depp against Heard.  Apparently the Heard against Depp counterclaim is going to be heard later. 

What makes you that is so?

The only reason I could think of is if the Court has to address the SLAPP allegations first.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

I enjoyed both of these: