Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Started by OttoVonBismarck, May 02, 2022, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 04, 2022, 09:24:30 AM
Quote from: Threviel on May 04, 2022, 01:21:18 AMRoe v Wade made US abortion law go a bit to far. In most other countries you can abort in the first trimester, up until a certain week. Roe v Wade made it legal to abort until the day of birth more or less.

No it didn't, I have no idea where that comes from, although I saw some talking head on US TV making the same claims.  The Roe and Casey line of cases permit significant regulation of abortion, particularly beyond the first trimester.  So much so that even now as Roe is still the law of the land, it is virtually impossible for many American women to either get counseling or get access to care.

Happy to be corrected, thank you. I was going by a 20 year old lecture on American politics in my pol-sci 101 equivalent. I will immediately call my University and correct them. Also I failed that class.

The Larch

More wholesome Republican reactions:

It will never cease to amaze me how this current crop of GOPtards revel in their own nastiness.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2022, 06:44:08 AMMore wholesome Republican reactions:

It will never cease to amaze me how this current crop of GOPtards revel in their own nastiness.

I think the word you were looking for there is misogyny.

The Larch

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2022, 06:44:08 AMMore wholesome Republican reactions:

The fucked up part isn't that Matt Gaetz is an asshole, it is that being an asshole like this gets you elected these days.

The world is full of assholes after all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 05, 2022, 08:51:28 AMGaetz is a pedophile.
That's one way to ensure that your romantic interests aren't over-educated (yet).

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2022, 06:44:08 AMIt will never cease to amaze me how this current crop of GOPtards revel in their own nastiness.

Hey, you get to pay to fuck underage girls and get away with it, nasty tweets just get to be a perk.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Considering that many women use an app to track their periods, that database probably already exists.
Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

I wonder if he realizes that most women prefer that microwave dinner with their pets over a $400 gourmet meal with men like him.

I'm curious to see how things will change when more men start to realize that a whole hell of a lot of women view singledom as a joy and not a burden anymore. There are wine bottle covers with a drawing of a sexy woman saying "Old Maid This Mother Fucker".

Men aren't competing with other men. They're competing with a relaxed night in on our own. And that's a tough competition.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

I've been thinking about this a lot, as you can imagine, and I'm pretty frustrated at how ignorant Democrats are being.

Why aren't these supposed White Knights for women pushing the things that have actually been proven to minimize abortions: universal birth control and sex education?

Y'all want to end abortion? Here's how.

Make that their platform. And when the Republicans cry "think of the children" claim that that's exactly what they're doing. Why aren't the Republicans? Make them prove that this isn't about controlling those with uteruses. But as usual, the Dems suck at building a cohesive story and sticking with it.

In the meantime, I'm going to start building home abortion kits using a couple of tubes, a Mason jar and a suction plunger. Supposed to work pretty good. Very popular in the US around 1970ish.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 05, 2022, 05:46:43 PMConsidering that many women use an app to track their periods, that database probably already exists.

Coming up next: having to register your name in anti-abortion states when you buy home pregnancy kits.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Well some of the old legacy laws or early drafts are already so broad they'd ban some forms of contraception as well as abortion.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on May 05, 2022, 09:29:03 PMI wonder if he realizes that most women prefer that microwave dinner with their pets over a $400 gourmet meal with men like him.

From what I can tell he isn't struggling to get action.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014