Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Started by OttoVonBismarck, May 02, 2022, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 08:50:18 AMI blame Malthus' aunt.  For some reason she thought it was a good idea to give right wing religious folks an aspirational goal.

Worth repeating where the true blame lies.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 02:21:18 PMSome quick survey numbers:

69% of Americans oppose overturning RvW, with only 30% in favour.

60% of Americans think abortion should be legal in the first trimester, but that number drops to 28 and 13% for the second and third trimesters.

https://morningshots.thebulwark.com/p/the-end-of-roe?s=r

And four out of five dentists surveyed prefer toothless vaginas. What's your point?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2022, 03:24:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 02:21:18 PMSome quick survey numbers:

69% of Americans oppose overturning RvW, with only 30% in favour.

60% of Americans think abortion should be legal in the first trimester, but that number drops to 28 and 13% for the second and third trimesters.

https://morningshots.thebulwark.com/p/the-end-of-roe?s=r

And four out of five dentists surveyed prefer toothless vaginas. What's your point?

This could be a powerful issue for democrats.  Because RvW was the law for so long abortion rights wasn't as big an issue for them as the GOP, but that now changes.

BUT

They need to be clear not to go too far (like they usually do).  There was powerful support for police reform, until the Dems got sidetracked by Defund the Police.  There will be powerful support for abortion rights, as long as they don't get too caught up in abortion on demand at any time in the pregnancy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 03:37:54 PMThis could be a powerful issue for democrats.  Because RvW was the law for so long abortion rights wasn't as big an issue for them as the GOP, but that now changes.

BUT

They need to be clear not to go too far (like they usually do).  There was powerful support for police reform, until the Dems got sidetracked by Defund the Police.  There will be powerful support for abortion rights, as long as they don't get too caught up in abortion on demand at any time in the pregnancy.

Bullshit. Nobody cares. Nobody's cared for 50 years.  If they did, they wouldn't have voted for the guy "they'd rather have a beer with, don't mess with Texas, heh heh" or stayed home because of "her." 

Scroll the fuck up and read mine and OvB's posts; this changes nothing, because it's not an issue for anybody but 1) those whose lives are directly impacted by the ability to exercise this right, and 2) right-minded, principled, and enlightened egalitarians like me and not you. Just not enough to move the needle in the long run.  Just like gun control. It's a loser issue for the majority of the electorate.   

LOL, and no, contrary to all overblown whitey panic, there's been no "powerful support for police reform" regardless of ho many granola and Birkenstock bullshit bumper stickers are printed. Cops continue, and will continue, to harvest blacks in bushels.

Go too far like they usually do. Fucking hilarious. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2022, 03:24:01 PMAnd four out of five dentists surveyed prefer toothless vaginas.

Seems unlikely.  That's a lot of lost potential income.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Have there been any official messages from the Dems about this? If McConnell was rambling about "disgraceful statements" by Biden, Pelosi and Schumer they might have said something interesting, right? The only think I know is that at least Elizabeth Warren seems mightly pissed off.

CountDeMoney

Although, I have to admit: if I were a Republican, I'd be totally enjoying all the cannibalism by the Democrats.

OMG IF ONLY THEY DIDNT STEAL THE NOMINATION FROM BERNIE THIS NEVER WOODA HAPPENED

And goofy ass BB says they "always go too far."  Fuck, they can't even get out of their own way.

You saw this coming since 1988, you stupid fucks.  But no, MUH STOODENT LOANS.  Fucking Eugene McCarthy campaign, every fucking year.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on May 03, 2022, 04:15:00 PMThe only think I know is that at least Elizabeth Warren seems mightly pissed off.

It's play-acting on her part.  She knows that this looks bad for her, but has had this statement prepared for a year now, because she knew this was coming and voted for it.  Only idiots thought that Barret and Fratboy would not vote to strike down Roe at the very first opportunity.  They only got groomed for the Court because they made sure the Heritage Foundation knew that they were all in.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Dems still control Congress, barely.
Could push through a national law prohibiting state sanctions vs crossing state lines to get abortions or advice.  Commerce clause. Better get moving fast.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2022, 10:57:54 PMWell it would require 100% support. Is Manchin down?

No, time to see how outraged Collins and Murkowski really are.
--Joan Robinson