Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Started by OttoVonBismarck, May 02, 2022, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2022, 12:45:30 PMBut don't worry, Canadian Conservatives are trustworthy when it comes to abortion. No reason to worry about them on that front.

That's bullshit, too.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 03, 2022, 12:09:02 PMAlso speculation it's Roberts to try and show the outrage now to encourage some of them towards his position as the more restrained/truly conservative opinion.

Not a chance.

But it is interesting to see even fairly mainstream right figures like McConnell rush to judgment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2022, 12:47:30 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2022, 12:45:30 PMBut don't worry, Canadian Conservatives are trustworthy when it comes to abortion. No reason to worry about them on that front.

That's bullshit, too.

Yes it is.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2022, 12:33:54 PMThe only deaths caused by violence that I know about (there may be others) were murders of doctors carried out by anti-abortionists.  Now that the right wing Christian fundamentalists see victory at hand, if that is taken away, there is a non zero chance that sort of killing starts occurring again.

As someone at least sympathetic to the pro-life cause you might want to think hard about what other deaths might be involved in talking about abortion...

Your rhetoric is telling. 

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

You mean, of course, that BB is doing his best to assure us we can trust Canadian Conservatives on the issue of abortion, right?

Syt

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1521546629936910337?s=20&t=cHfCDibJZ8C-cF7AsEwqtQ

QuoteThe Hill
@thehill

@SenTedCruz: "I am appalled. This is the most egregious breach of trust at the Supreme Court that has ever happened. Presumably, some left-wing law clerk, angry at the direction the court is going, decided to betray his or her obligation." http://hill.cm/Sg65XUU
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 01:30:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 03, 2022, 01:26:35 PMBB, you are doing it again.

The shame is mine and mine alone. -_-

Your apparent glee over this situation is doing little to bolster your claim that Canadian conservatives don't want the same thing to happen in Canada :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2022, 01:31:09 PM

Your apparent glee over this situation is doing little to bolster your claim that Canadian conservatives don't want the same thing to happen in Canada :P

What glee? :huh:

I think this is very much going to be the dog that catches the car for the GOP.  While there is a principled basis to say RvW should be overturned, if (as appears likely) the GOP starts passing a whole series of highly restrictive abortion laws there's going to be electoral hell to pay for them.

Do I need to remind you that I stole my position on abortion from Bill Clinton - abortion should be safe, legal and rare.

celedhring

Incidentally the Spanish constitutional court has been postponing their ruling on our current (very progressive) abortion law for... 11 years now. That's quite the dereliction of duty.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: celedhring on May 03, 2022, 01:38:38 PMIncidentally the Spanish constitutional court has been postponing their ruling on our current (very progressive) abortion law for... 11 years now. That's quite the dereliction of duty.

I would be quite okay with the US Supreme Court taking an 11 year siesta.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 01:36:15 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2022, 01:31:09 PM

What glee? :huh:

I think this is very much going to be the dog that catches the car for the GOP.  While there is a principled basis to say RvW should be overturned, if (as appears likely) the GOP starts passing a whole series of highly restrictive abortion laws there's going to be electoral hell to pay for them.

Do I need to remind you that I stole my position on abortion from Bill Clinton - abortion should be safe, legal and rare.

Yeah, you assert that is your position.  But you undermine faith that you would not also support (vote for) a Conservative government that went further when you equate the murder of doctors with the abortions they perform.

Barrister

Some quick survey numbers:

69% of Americans oppose overturning RvW, with only 30% in favour.

60% of Americans think abortion should be legal in the first trimester, but that number drops to 28 and 13% for the second and third trimesters.

https://morningshots.thebulwark.com/p/the-end-of-roe?s=r