Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Started by OttoVonBismarck, May 02, 2022, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2022, 03:21:02 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2022, 02:32:45 AMAmazing, in 2022 they've decided not enough women are dying and need to go back to the 50s

What rankles me, is that the same anti-abortionists cease their support as soon as the child is in the world. Can't afford support yourself and your kid? Shouldn't have gotten pregnant. Uninsured and have to pay the doctors etc. for the delivery? Shouldn't have gotten pregnant. Can't afford to take time off work after birth, and have no one to look after your kid? Shouldn't have gotten pregnant. Also, we'll make sure you have limited access to contraceptives. You slut.

IIRC, from the first comments on the draft that appeared last night, somebody commented that as part of the arguments in favour of limiting abortion was a proposal from one of the justices (Barrett, I think), about reforming adoption processes in order to establish "no questions asked" surrenders of newborns from mothers that wouldn't be able to properly take care of their babies, which also included "the increased demand for adoptions" as part of the rationale for restriction abortion.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on May 03, 2022, 05:42:58 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2022, 02:32:45 AMAmazing, in 2022 they've decided not enough women are dying and need to go back to the 50s

What rankles me, is that the same anti-abortionists cease their support as soon as the child is in the world. Can't afford support yourself and your kid? Shouldn't have gotten pregnant. Uninsured and have to pay the doctors etc. for the delivery? Shouldn't have gotten pregnant. Can't afford to take time off work after birth, and have no one to look after your kid? Shouldn't have gotten pregnant. Also, we'll make sure you have limited access to contraceptives. You slut.

IIRC, from the first comments on the draft that appeared last night, somebody commented that as part of the arguments in favour of limiting abortion was a proposal from one of the justices (Barrett, I think), about reforming adoption processes in order to establish "no questions asked" surrenders of newborns from mothers that wouldn't be able to properly take care of their babies, which also included "the increased demand for adoptions" as part of the rationale for restriction abortion.

Horrifying.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2022, 05:48:32 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 03, 2022, 05:42:58 AM

Horrifying.

Another argument claimed that abortion was a way to keep the black population down...  :ph34r:

Josephus

Quote from: Agelastus on May 03, 2022, 04:40:10 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 03, 2022, 04:02:59 AMAmerica's is a model supreme court?

Coat Hanger abortions.

Something that many in the USA no doubt fear is coming back, with lives lost.

I doubt it though.

This will mean that abortion will be in the hands of the states and there will be states that will keep it legal. Getting around from one state to the other is easier now than it was in the 50s. And it seems some corporations are willing to pay if someone wants to travel to another state to do it.

What it does mean, is this, like most American laws, will negatively affect poor black folks.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2022, 06:15:37 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on May 03, 2022, 04:40:10 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 03, 2022, 04:02:59 AMAmerica's is a model supreme court?

Coat Hanger abortions.

Something that many in the USA no doubt fear is coming back, with lives lost.

I doubt it though.

This will mean that abortion will be in the hands of the states and there will be states that will keep it legal. Getting around from one state to the other is easier now than it was in the 50s. And it seems some corporations are willing to pay if someone wants to travel to another state to do it.

What it does mean, is this, like most American laws, will negatively affect poor black folks.  :(

This is just step one. Step two is making allowing abortion unconstitutional.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2022, 06:15:37 AMWhat it does mean, is this, like most American laws, will negatively affect poor black folks.  :(

Back to the "good ol' days", where poor women died in botched back alley abortions, and the debutante goes "spend some time in Europe".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Can one state make it illegal for its residents to get an abortion in another state?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on May 03, 2022, 06:49:20 AMCan one state make it illegal for its residents to get an abortion in another state?

Missouri is actually trying to do just that:

QuoteLegislation introduced this year in Missouri is an extreme example of how anti-abortion lawmakers are looking to crack down on abortions that happen beyond their states' borders.

One measure sought to allow private citizens to sue anyone who helps a Missouri resident obtain an abortion out of state, while also targeting efforts to provide medication abortion to residents. Another bill would apply Missouri's abortion laws to abortions obtained out of state by Missouri residents and in other circumstances, including in cases where "sexual intercourse occurred within this state and the child may have been conceived by that act of intercourse."

Razgovory

Yeah, I thought I heard about that.  That's why I asked.  This is going to get weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2022, 06:21:36 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2022, 06:15:37 AMWhat it does mean, is this, like most American laws, will negatively affect poor black folks.  :(

Back to the "good ol' days", where poor women died in botched back alley abortions, and the debutante goes "spend some time in Europe".

That's all that matters. That's the hilariously ironic thing about racists:  they can't stand so many blacks taking over "their America," but they've got no problem seeing as many of them born as possible in order to permanently maintain them in poverty (provided, of course, they all go to prison or the SEC).

Meanwhile those that can afford it will play the same game as the upper crust of Saudi, Iranian and Gileadean society.

Darth Wagtaros

I'm surprised they'd actually even think about moving ahead with it. The money is in the fight after all.  All those donations to defend the unborn/protect rights would get more limited.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

My mother, who graduated nursing school in 1965, is ready to go back to work. Back to working at the emergency rooms in Baltimore before Roe v Wade: where women from West Virginia, Pennsylvania and as far south as North Carolina came to get abortions, get botched attempts repaired, and sometimes to die.  Amish incest victims.  13 year olds without any education.  You know, conservatives.

Unless, of course, it was a city councilman's daughter, or the mistress of a Baltimore Colts player.  Then it was simply a gynecological issue and, well, the fetus wouldn't have been viable anyway.  Shame, that.

Valmy

Well this has pretty dire implications for me and my family with our follow-your-feelings governor who does whatever vindictive stupid thing will make the culture warriors cheer.

Hans always assured us that without Roe we would all song kumbaya and work out some delightful legislative compromise we could all live with. Well...here it is dude. I look forward to all the compromising and level headed legislating to come.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 03, 2022, 07:33:32 AMI'm surprised they'd actually even think about moving ahead with it. The money is in the fight after all.  All those donations to defend the unborn/protect rights would get more limited.

Nah, they'll bang the drum for a national abortion ban, ending all LGBTQ rights, and overturning Griswold v. Connecticut (but only for female contraceptives, men can still get condoms because boys will be boys, after all).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 03, 2022, 08:14:30 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 03, 2022, 07:33:32 AMI'm surprised they'd actually even think about moving ahead with it. The money is in the fight after all.  All those donations to defend the unborn/protect rights would get more limited.

Nah, they'll bang the drum for a national abortion ban, ending all LGBTQ rights, and overturning Griswold v. Connecticut (but only for female contraceptives, men can still get condoms because boys will be boys, after all).

But...but...all the compromises!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."