News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Finland, Sweden + NATO

Started by Jacob, April 13, 2022, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2022, 05:15:32 AMApparently Russia's short term answer to this development is going to be deploying nukes to the Baltic.

Just tell them the Finns/Swedes aren't joining, it's just a special cooperation.

Solmyr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2022, 08:02:16 AMSolmyr, IIRC you're a Finn of Russian descent.  Can you tell us a little more about that?  Like how and why your family ended up in Finland?

I moved here with my mom from St. Petersburg in 1992 when she married a Finnish man. I was 14 at the time. Not a whole lot more to it. :D So I'm not an ethnic Finn as such, but a Finnish citizen. Ethnically actually I'm a mix of Russian/Jewish/Ukrainian/Finnish/Baltic.

The Brain

My impression is that Sweden and Finland not joining NATO now would be a gamble. Likely an irresponsible one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Solmyr on April 14, 2022, 11:07:30 AMI moved here with my mom from St. Petersburg in 1992 when she married a Finnish man. I was 14 at the time. Not a whole lot more to it. :D So I'm not an ethnic Finn as such, but a Finnish citizen. Ethnically actually I'm a mix of Russian/Jewish/Ukrainian/Finnish/Baltic.

Thanks.

Solmyr

Finnish PM Sanna Marin held a press conference today concerning NATO preparations and rocked this look, which caused some conservative politicians pop a vein. :D  :punk:

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 14, 2022, 07:55:25 AMGaijin de SinkingMoscau is typing up strongly worded posts about how these are simply expected developments from anti-Russian elites in these countries, and that their true populations are actually very pro-Russian invasion of their countries.

Well, he is not wrong when you consider his definition of the true population does not include the current population of those countries.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on April 14, 2022, 11:10:38 AMMy impression is that Sweden and Finland not joining NATO now would be a gamble. Likely an irresponsible one.
A gamble is something with an uncertain outcome.  Certainly stupid decisions are not gambles, they're just self-sabotage.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on April 14, 2022, 11:14:07 AMFinnish PM Sanna Marin held a press conference today concerning NATO preparations and rocked this look, which caused some conservative politicians pop a vein. :D  :punk:

I love Finland  :)

DGuller

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 14, 2022, 07:55:25 AMGaijin de SinkingMoscau is typing up strongly worded posts about how these are simply expected developments from anti-Russian elites in these countries, and that their true populations are actually very pro-Russian invasion of their countries.
But a Georgian babushka, probably not from Gagra, was so appreciative of Gaijin.  That has to count for something, right?

Jacob

Quote from: Solmyr on April 14, 2022, 11:07:30 AMI moved here with my mom from St. Petersburg in 1992 when she married a Finnish man. I was 14 at the time. Not a whole lot more to it. :D So I'm not an ethnic Finn as such, but a Finnish citizen. Ethnically actually I'm a mix of Russian/Jewish/Ukrainian/Finnish/Baltic.

So in theory you'd be part of the oppressed ethnic Russian minority, yearning to be reunited with the motherland and looking to Putin to protect you interests. In reality, not so much?

Barrister

Quote from: Solmyr on April 14, 2022, 11:07:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2022, 08:02:16 AMSolmyr, IIRC you're a Finn of Russian descent.  Can you tell us a little more about that?  Like how and why your family ended up in Finland?

I moved here with my mom from St. Petersburg in 1992 when she married a Finnish man. I was 14 at the time. Not a whole lot more to it. :D So I'm not an ethnic Finn as such, but a Finnish citizen. Ethnically actually I'm a mix of Russian/Jewish/Ukrainian/Finnish/Baltic.

If you feel like discussing it...

How are you treated in Finland since, I'm assuming, you must have a Russian accent?  Has it changed since the Ukraine invasion?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

If he moved there when he was 14 I doubt he has a Russian accent.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2022, 12:20:34 PMIf he moved there when he was 14 I doubt he has a Russian accent.

My experience from seeing other people is that if they move to Canada in their teens they're likely to have an accent, if it's more like gradeschool more likely not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2022, 11:16:11 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 14, 2022, 11:14:07 AMFinnish PM Sanna Marin held a press conference today concerning NATO preparations and rocked this look, which caused some conservative politicians pop a vein. :D  :punk:

Strong Tammi of Finland vibes.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: ulmont on April 14, 2022, 02:06:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2022, 11:16:11 AM

Strong Tammi of Finland vibes.

What does that mean? Ron Swanson's next wife?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?