What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Susan Collins has said she will back Biden's judge nom
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2022, 03:41:55 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al-AAN-vBMc

What is the point of this law?

There already exists a federal hate crime statute, which applies penalties for causing or attempting to cause bodily injury because of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. 

The Till act adds penalties for conspiracy to commit such offenses.  Thus, it effectively closes a gap whereby certain offenses are categorized and punishable as hate crimes but conspiracies to commit such crimes are treated as ordinary criminal conspiracies with no special enhancements.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

That's all fine and good, but lynching is murder.  Aren't additional penalties for a murder kind of pointless?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2022, 05:02:45 PMThat's all fine and good, but lynching is murder.  Aren't additional penalties for a murder kind of pointless?

How so?

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

But surely that's not covered by this law - based on MM's description. Conspiracy to murder is, no?
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2022, 05:13:13 PMIn that execution or life imprisonment can't be augmented.

Ah. I didn't realize that those were the only two possible sentences for murder.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2022, 05:47:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2022, 05:13:13 PMIn that execution or life imprisonment can't be augmented.

Ah. I didn't realize that those were the only two possible sentences for murder.

Those are maximum penalties, not the only ones. And, in fact, life imprisonment doesn't mean life without parole.

Nor does conspiracy to commit a lynching always result in a lynching.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2022, 05:02:45 PMThat's all fine and good, but lynching is murder.  Aren't additional penalties for a murder kind of pointless?

There's a few things going on here:

1) Conspiracy to commit murder does not necessarily result in a life sentence. 
2) The law allows the Feds to charge a conspiracy crime that otherwise could only be charged under state law.
3) As is often the case, the bill's title is not a precise guide to its content. In this case, the law covers conspiracy to commit any crime that both: A) qualifies as a federal hate crime under the hate crime statute and (B) results in serious bodily injury.  Thus it covers offenses that don't result in death of the victim.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson