News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

It's another Queen.  They have an hive mind, sorta like bees and ants.  When the queen bee dies, some other larvae will become queen and take up the role.

I guess it's the same with the queen.  It's a temporary disruption, but somewhere else, a new queen will be activated with the collective knowledge of all drones.

QuoteI'm also constantly confused about alternate timelines and realities in Trek. The Mirror Universe is obviously the biggest example. There was a divergent point, and since then Mirror U has done its own thing, with occasional interference from the "main" universe. Ok. But then you have Yesterday's Enterprise or this show. Is it a parallel reality that split off? If the past is "fixed", will it cease to exist? Would there be an alternate way to get back to the "main" timeline, similar to how you can go to the Mirror Universe? Or is the "real" "main" timeline created by altering the past? And I'm starting to get a headache. :D
It's Q stuff.  It's beyond our comprehension.  :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Btw, loved Patton Oswald's cameo. :lol:

"Meow."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Enjoyed that show, relieved its not going to be a straight up alt reality what if.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2022, 11:22:34 AMIt's Q stuff.  It's beyond our comprehension.  :(

That actually raises another question: is there one Q Continuum across all the multiverse? Or is there a separate version of it per universe? :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2022, 12:36:12 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2022, 11:22:34 AMIt's Q stuff.  It's beyond our comprehension.  :(

That actually raises another question: is there one Q Continuum across all the multiverse? Or is there a separate version of it per universe? :hmm:
Also beyond our comprehension :P

I think Qs are like the Prophets of DS9, existing in multiple space/time continuums ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

John de Lancie is so good as Q even all these years later. They should just make a show revolving around him and Picard every week.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 12, 2022, 07:48:42 PMJohn de Lancie is so good as Q even all these years later. They should just make a show revolving around him and Picard every week.

:yes:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Not hugely into the latest episode. But that's because I generally don't like sci-fi characters coming to present day Earth. There's some exceptions (notably within Trek), but I watch these shows primarily as escapism from the present. :P

Not much to say, except maybe update some speculation:
- the "new" Borg Queen in the first episode: revising my prediction to her being Agnes, not Seven
- Elnor will come back to life, either through time shenanigans or through Borg nanoprobes (I think they did that in Voyager once?)

What does the Butterfly mean? Jörg Hillebrand, a guy who disects ST for props and equipment used and re-used pointed it out in the pilot episode as logo on the containers aboard Seven's ship when she's boarded:

https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1501644238135590912?s=20&t=7cXTDUmt1rnegEx6Ni4fbw

QuoteI'm intrigued by this butterfly-shaped logo ↘️ seen on various cargo labels on La Sirena in the #StarTrekPicard episode "The Star Gazer". It appears together with an "Emergency Medical Supplies" label, so maybe it is related to Starfleet Medical?

In this episode we see the logo on the computer screens and the door of the free clinic. :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

I broke down and got Paramount+, finally.  Started watching Discovery and Lower Decks, so I should get to Picard pretty soon.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

@ Syt, yeah Queen = Agnes

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2022, 09:22:21 PM@ Syt, yeah Queen = Agnes

Yeah, based on the last episode that would make sense.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2022, 07:54:43 AM- Elnor will come back to life, either through time shenanigans or through Borg nanoprobes (I think they did that in Voyager once?)
Yes, with Neelix, in Mortal Coil.  It required modified nanoprobes from Seven and the Holo Doc to perform the procedure.  They don't have a medical officer and Seven does not have nanoprobes.  I'm not sure if Agnes could do it with the Queen.  She'd likely not volunteer. 

Also, as stupid as it sounds, Neelix was dead for close to 19hrs (way too long already, unless he was maintained in some kind of life support with no brain activity), I don't know how long they'll be there with the dead body.

It was a stupid plot device to begin with, and typical of Voyager, there was never any follow up with this, as they could have revived just about any crew member that died, so long as the neural pathways were intact.

Josephus

So, was I supposed to recognize the woman at the end?
Civis Romanus Sum

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2022, 02:17:19 PMSo, was I supposed to recognize the woman at the end?
Yes.
;)

***spoiler
It's Picard's Romulan friend from the 24th century, introduced in S1.
**** end

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2022, 02:17:19 PMSo, was I supposed to recognize the woman at the end?

Hint she was in the recap at the start of the episode.  And the first episode. And the other season.  So yes.